“Just the Job” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Just the Job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

At last a local pub that does a simple beef sandwich well. We popped in for a quick lunch break and had a very friendly welcome and enjoyed the experience. The menu for lunch covered what we wanted and they were accommodating to preferences. We will be back to try an evening soon.

Visited May 2015

Romsey, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Potential”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2015 NEW

The Kings Arms Lockerley officially reopened in March 2015 having been shut for the whole of Autumn/Winter period. The previous managers had turned it from a lovely country pub with a fantastic reputation for good food, atmosphere and an upmarket feel, into, well something else! Needless to say, they crashed and burned.

So, it was was with some trepidation that we ventured back not sure what we were going to stumble into, but we need not have worried.....

First impressions on entering were that the new licensees have tried to turn it back into the pub it should be with the return of that comfortable slightly upmarket feel of a pub with aspirations.
That said, they do have special events and live music nights but the balance I feel is just right and the management truly seem to be trying to cater for most people.

Nice decor, furniture with sofas by the fire make it feel cosy and left me almost looking forward to a cold winters day to try it out. The food is intended to be good basic pub food at a reasonable price and Darren & James the new licensees have delivered on both our visits and if you're going for lunch I would say the Kings Arms Ploughman's Lunch is already legendary and the best I have ever had anywhere. And before any food snobs scoff all I will say is try it!
The lunch menu is simple but good and includes soup of the day, a selection of sandwiches and what I'm going to call the King's Ploughman's all at reasonable prices from £4.95 to £9.95
The full menu has selection of good basic pub staples with starters from £3.95, mains from 7.95 and desserts from £3.95 and there is something for everyone.

We found the staff are friendly and welcoming and having met Darren & James twice now we found them to be warm and friendly, clearly desperate to succeed and create a fab village pub and be a focal point of the community. All it needs now is the customers who stopped going under the last regime and those who have found other venues, to return and support two guys whose hearts are in the right place and we can have a great country pub to be proud of, in the heart of the village.

Families with well behaved children are welcome and I forgot to mention we visited with our 4 year old daughter and were made to feel welcome and a colouring pad with pencils were produced from behind the bar which was a nice touch.

For the record I have absolutely no connection with the pub or the licensees, but live in the village and would love to see these guys succeed. Don't be shy give it a try!

Check out their website at www.kingsarmslockerley.co.uk

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Pub Stroll from The Kings Arms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015

Visited this pub for the first time for many years having decided to try a "pub stroll" from our recently acquired book of walks in the New Forest and Hampshire area. A warm welcome from the new landlord and a quick drink before beginning our walk. Returned again after our walk for further refreshments. A really friendly pub with a wonderful atmosphere. The food being served looked amazing and we will return very soon to sample for ourselves as we were unable to stay today.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“fantastic new menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2015

myself and my partner went for a day out, we stopped for lunch at this fantastic little country bar, we had such a good experance that we ended up staying for dinner, its a lovely setting and the most amazing gardens at the back of the bar:
The staff were fantastic and the owners Darren and Jamie were more helpful and made us feel very welcome*

i am looking forward to my return visit to the bar on my next trip

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Sunday Lunch what a disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2015 via mobile

Called in for late lunch on our way back from Romsey motor home show oh what a disappointment ,looked like a lovely little place to eat ,got our drinks ordered our food which arrived quickly then we found out why food was barely warm ,wanted to complain only one person behindn the bar which started to get busy,and the gentleman who served us was nowhere to be seen so my husband paid bill and we made a quick exit then I noticed a surcharge was added which I was under the impression that customers should be made aware of but my husband said he wasn't and to be honest I would not have personally paid this ,yours truly mrs H berkshire (avoid)

Visited April 2015