“Home from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Westhill
London
“Home from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I have returned from my third stay here. I really look forward to being here when I'm in Aberdeen on business. The food in both Luigi's and the bar is excellent. Breakfast is varied and plentiful. Last time after a light supper of soup and a roll all I wanted was a hot chocolate and something sweet. There were no muffins or cakes on the menu but the waitress went off and found me a small pack of shortbread. That really is customer service for you. The rooms are clean and comfortable and temperature controlled. I love the bathrooms as they are very modern and shiny clean just like my own at home. Check in and out is always quick and easy. I thoroughly recommend this hotel when on business near this part of town.

• Stayed February 2013
BBurnett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen West, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear MaggieBourke
Thank you for your stays at the hotel, and for taking the time to give us some excellent feedback on Tripadvisor. It's always great for me to read about how our service delivery impresses our guests, and its extremely generous of you to share this for others benefit.
Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you on future stays to make your time here even more enjoyable.
Bill Burnett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Rooms aren't huge but a nice size and equipped with modern facilities. Food in both restaurants are excellent. Service here is very professional and of a high standard. It's also has a M&S food store and excellent Chinese restaurant (Yan) opposite. It's been a pleasure to stay here compared to other Aberdeen hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013
BBurnett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen West, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Jsteinberg100
Thank you for taking the time to review us so highly on Tripadvisor.
I'm very grateful for your open candid comments and your strong recommendation.
I hope we will see you again in Westhill.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

On arrival you are immediately greeted with the many awards this Hotel has won. It is immaculate through out. The restaurant we ate in was well organized with very attentive yet friendly informal staff.
We ordered an Angus Burger and Smoked Salmon Panini. Both were excellent.
The team at Holiday Inn Westhill make this Hotel what it is. Long may it continue.
A perfect venue for a business and pleasure.
I am looking forward to our next visit already.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BBurnett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen West, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Michael B
Thank you taking the time to review the hotel through Tripadvisor. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular for reflecting upon how much the team here have contributed to our awards success.
We do try hard to surpass our guests expectations and I am delighted that you will be staying with us again when you next choose to visit Aberdeen.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My room was very comfortable and clean ( if a tad on the small side) with a very comfortable bed.
The furniture was generally modern and in good condition with the exception of an old, battered and stained ex-restaurant table that someone in the hotel team had decided was just right to put in the room.
They were wrong about this. It took up a lot of the very little free floor space, looked a real eyesore, was totally the wrong size to use for any purpose and detracted considerably from the rooms usability.
The bathroom was excellent and very clean.
Breakfast and dinner were both good with excellent service.
My only real problem with the hotel was that it was so uncomfortably cold - not just my bedroom, but also the bar, reception and dining room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear EV97
I am sorry to read of your dissappointment following your recent stay with us. As a result of your review I would like to assure you that I have ascertained which bedroom that you stayed in, and have remedied the items that you pointed out.
Heating around the hotel is centrally controlled and I assure you not knowingly allowed to drop to 'cold' levels at any time. My duty managers constantly monitor the lounge and restaurant areas and if they have failed to notice a sustained lack of heat I do offer you my apologies.
If you are staying at the hotel again in the future, please ask for me personally and I will be happy to apologise for our shortfalls on this occassion personally.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Good drinks reception with plenty canapes and bubbly, very good and plentyful food for dinner complemented by efficient service. Very keenly priced cosy room for the night. Truly spoiled for breakfast with more bubbly. Fantastic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
BBurnett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen West, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Antony B
Thank you for an excellent review following your Hogmanay stay with us. I'm glad you had an excellent stay and an enjoyable glass of bubbly at breakfast too. Happy New Year all over !
Best regards
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

About 30 of us attended a recent Christmas Party Tribute night event at this Hotel, and after the resoundingly positive feedback received, I felt I had to contribute a review to reflect our findings (this was our 5th year in 6 that we have attended since opening). Having been greeted by the smiley faced events co-ordinator, Elaine in the main foyer, we took our seats for the evening meal which was up to its usual, exceptional standard – indeed, some of us lesser mortals had no room for desserts, such was the quality and quantity of the preceding courses. Table service was red hot, with the Duty Managers, and the aforementioned Elaine, joining their team to provide seamless transitions throughout the meal.
The tribute band were very good at what they did, but they seemed to struggle to gauge the mood of their audience, and seemed intent on churning out the “staple” hits, though rather too many of a slower tempo.. However, the same cannot be said for Calum the DJ, who succeeded in filling the dance-floor almost without exception – and including a “Rock” segue which went down an absolute storm, and virtually had the ballroom jumping.
A cracking night was therefore had by all, and we would have no reservations in recommending the venue to anyone who might not have experienced the Hotel’s party environment before. They have regular Tribute nights throughout the year, and have it down to a fine art. It’s not for nothing that they have recently achieved the brand’s European Hotel of the Year award, since they appear to strive to excel at everything they do – well, at least that’s been our personal experience.

As an aside, a message to the GM from many local attendees – Why not try a “Rock Night” rather than sticking to your usual Tribute acts? The Westhill demograph is now becoming slightly more mature, and since the nearby Broadie stopped hosting live bands, there are no other outlets for us to head-bang.
Don't be slaves to Pop!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Steviestone
Thank you for attending one of our festive tribute nights and for sharing with others just how great a night you had.
I fully take on board your comments about a 'Rock Night' and give you my assurances that I'll review our calendar of tributes for this year to see if I can change the 'Status Quo' so to speak !
Best regards and thanks

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at the hotel lounge many times and generally the food is to a good standard.
However, today my mum went in by the lounge to book a table for a family meal. It was for a special occasion with family travelling in from other parts. When trying to book a table for 9 people she was informed by a waitress that her manager would not allow her to book tables unless the party was made of 10 or more people... Really?!
My mum was quite annoyed at not being able to book, generally if you turn up somewhere with a larger party you need to wait for the restaurant to accomodate you, which was what she wanted to avoid.
Seems a bit nit picky for the sake of being a party one person smaller. But never mind have since booked at another restaurant where they will accomodate 9 people. Their loss.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear MissKimberrr
Please accept my apologies for your recent disappointment on trying to book a table in our Glentanar Lounge.
Our restaurant(luigi's) accepts bookings for all table sizes and is especially suitable for family occasions as you have intimated.
Our lounge (Glentanar) is a much less formal environment and only accepts bookings for larger tables at certain times of the day. I am sorry that we did not find a way to satisfy your enquiry, despite our larger party booking policy as I am sure we could have easily satisfied a booking for you depending upon your required dining time.
Please contact me personally if you would like to return to the Glentanar and I will see what I can do to accommodate you and your family on your next visit.
Bill Burnett

Been to Holiday Inn Aberdeen West? Share your experiences!