“Amazing place, amazing people = amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surf With Amigas- Women's Surf and Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinandega
Surf With Amigas- Women's Surf and Yoga Retreat
Manzano Dos, Chinandega 10000, Nicaragua (Formerly Suave Dulce Surf Camp)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Chinandega B&B and Inns
Ocean, New Jersey
“Amazing place, amazing people = amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was one of the greatest trips for so many reasons! First of all, surfing everyday with an awesome group of girls from all over the country and being coached by outgoing, top notch,professional coaches was incredible. Holly, Jackie and Jamie really cared about every single one of us in the water (as well as out) and we all improved significantly during the week.The water is warm, the beaches beautiful and the break, both lefts and rights, is right at your doorstep!
There were so many great activities planned...yoga everyday with amazing Nikki, running horses on the beach-yea, okay, I barely galloped..but other horses RAN, volcano boarding-I proved you could go SLOW, building a school, learning to make chocolate and tortillas-mine were square-ish from scratch, relaxing...you name it, this trip had it!
El Coco Loco is a hidden gem tucked in the north of this beautiful country. The accommodations were simple, clean and comfortable and everyone from the owners to their staff were a big part of what makes this place so special...did I also mention it was beautiful??? The food was delicious and healthy, with second breakfast being my favorite time of day! Yes, TWO breakfasts!
If you are in doubt about a trip like this, DON'T be! This is the perfect atmosphere for anyone who is would like to learn to surf great waves, meet new people in an amazing place, embark on some adventures, eat great food and just have a fantastic time. GO!!!!

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

If I could rate this retreat a 10, I wouldn't hesitate one bit! This retreat is hands down the best trip I've ever had. It’s well organized with a variety of activities and super fun at all times. The surf team and resort staff are like family and welcome you into their little paradise with such a warm and generous hospitality. The entire time I was at the retreat I was in a constant state of bliss and excitement. I highly recommend the Surf With Amigas retreat to anyone interested in an experience of a lifetime. I just went for the first time last month (Feb-13) and I'm already making plans to go back before the end of this year (2013). I left the retreat feeling so great about surfing that I'm coming back for more!

Holly and her team do such a fantastic job! There is solid beginner training, coaching sessions via watching videos of you and getting advice/feedback from Holly Beck throughout the week, and constant encouragement/support/coaching while out there in the ocean. Holly and team have that secret combination of coaching that got me riding green waves by the end of the trip and feeling confident that I could go out there on my own after returning home.

The yoga classes are totally rejuvenating and extremely helpful in your quest to learn or improve your surfing. Plus it’s such a fun time hanging out with Surf With Amigas that surfing in the ocean with them is just hands down the time of your life!

Frisco, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Wow this trip was amazing. If you are even thinking about going to Surf with Amigas stop thinking and start doing!! You won't regret it, I promise! No where else in the world can you get top notch surfing instruction from killer gals, run horses on the beach, go volcano boarding (still can't believe, I did that), down chili pepper rum shots, enjoy amazing yoga, make chocolate, contribute to the community, hang with amigas, and MORE!

I traveled solo but left with new friends for life. It sounds so cheesy to say but really, our group was fantastical and it made the whole experience seem like a grown up summer surf camp! This is the kind of place where you should feel safe to travel alone but you could also go with a friend.
Holly and her team (Kim, Jackie, Jamrock and Nikki) have created a magical experience that is hard to accurately describe with words. From the surf instruction, to the excursions, to the yummy healthy food, and the environment at El coco loco resort, everything is outstanding.
The surfing - I had never surfed a day in my life and I learned so much! I was on the outside with the big girls on day two and even caught some green waves by the end of the week! I'm super uncoordinated so that speaks volumes for the instruction!! Holly and crew are so encouraging and knowledgeable. They are in the water with you reminding you what to do and picking out waves for you. There were ladies that surf a lot with us as well and they seemed to get even better. I personally loved having ladies that were better than me there because it pushed me to get to the outside with them! I wanted to be a cool shredder just like them and Holly!

The food - All unprocessed and delish! From two breakfasts with granola, fresh fruit, tostadas, eggs, french toast, breakfast burritos, to lunches and dinners like pasta, tacos, burrito and salad bars, fish, and even vegetarian options, you will not go hungry and will probably eat better here than you to at home. Bonus..the coffee is strong and awesome

The yoga- Nikki is wonderful. She seems to know just what you need every session, The yoga was relaxing and not too strenuous since she knew we were exhausted from surfing. I would say it was restorative!

The accommodations - Coco Loco is very simple, but very beautiful. Before this trip I would consider myself the "I love not camping" type. I was never uncomfortable, in fact just the opposite, I was very comfortable in our cabanas. They look like adorable little Roxy girl huts! I absolutely loved brushing my teeth outside and showering under the stars. The "outhouses" were adorable and you get used to them the first day. Other than not flushing they aren't much different than home.

The adventure - Talk about bucket list central! Learn to surf, check! Ride horses at sunset on the beach, check! Throw yourself off a volcano with nothing more than a piece of plywood, ummm check! Put yourself out there with people you don't know and come out even better than you could have imagined, double check!

The Amigas (and dudes)- Holly, Jackie, JamRock, Nikki, Kim, Ben, Chris, and Jamie were amazingly cool. Don't worry about who you'll be with for the week. If an amiga is cool enough to do something like this you can know that she will be someone you want to hang with!

I'm frothing for more waves and so stoked to go back and Surf with Amigas!!!

san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

First off, if you are thinking about booking an awesome week with Surf With Amigas, DO IT! Don't hesitate because this will be one of the most memorable, fun and exciting trips you will ever take.

Holly and her gang of amazing instructors (Jackie, Jaime, Nikki and Kim) are there to make sure you have a trip of a lifetime, and believe me, you will. They take care of all the details and you can decide for yourself to do as much as you want, or as little as you want. But every activity and adventure is too exciting to pass up, so I seriously doubt that you will ever pass on any surf session, yoga session or other activity, but if you do, not to fear, the accommodations are super relaxing and comfortable. So while everyone else is out sledding down a volcano or going for a sunset dip in the warm ocean you are more than welcome to stay back at the resort relaxing in a hammock in pure comfort.

I'm always a bit skeptical of going on trips that I will have to spend a week with people I don't know. But I met some amazing woman on this trip that are now friends for life. How many vacation do you come back from and still remember all the people you meet just as clearly as the epic fun you had? I think I took more pictures of the woman (and now friends) I met on the trip than the amazing landscapes and completely breathtaking beaches. This is the kind of trip that you can go on alone and make instant friends with or come with a friend and make even more friends.

The trip caters to all levels of surfers. Those of us that surf on a regular basis back home were given tips and pointers that were transformative and allowed us to progress further than we would ever have. And those that had never surfed before were out in the big girls waves by day TWO, so I know that they too were given the right instruction and guidance!!!! Holly, Jackie, Jaime and Kim went out of their way to make sure that the more experienced surfers had extra surf sessions and detailed instruction and the less experienced surfers (most with no experience) were as equally accommodated for and were provided an environment that set them up for success. It was amazing that people who had never surfed before we charging pretty decent size surf by DAY TWO and by the end of the week everyone was surfing green waves!! Just another testament to Surf with Amigas and their commitment to making sure that everyone, no matter who you are, where you come from, what your level of comfort is in the water or your surfing ability is catered to. My surfing skills and even more important, my confidence in the water increased exponentially. As well my love of a county (Nicaragua) that is sometimes under represented as an amazing travel destination was sealed and I'm ready to go back as soon as possible.

When I got back people (both surfers and non-surfers alike) asked me about my trip and if I had a great time. All I could answer was, YES, it was amazing and if you were thinking about booking a trip with Surf With Amigas, JUST DO IT. But deep in my heart there was something more about the trip that I just couldn't describe with words because it was so transformative. Truly a testiment to the environment that Holly has created with Surf With Amigas. She has achieved something with her trips that are intangible and that can't be describes with words and only experienced when you go on a trip with Surf With Amigas.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

And it was amazeballs.
If your experience is anything like mine was, this is basically what's going to happen. You're gonna book your trip with Surf w/Amigas. You're gonna show up, learn to shred with a bunch of cool chicks who you will relentlessly stalk on Facebook long after you return home. You're going to cross a bunch of things off your bucket list, and conquer fears you didn't even know you had.
You may or may not become slightly inebriated at some point with a few of your new friends; you will probably have amazing conversations and eventually become tight like spandex.
Then, on the last day of your trip, as you reluctantly pack your bags to go back home, you'll inevitably start planning your next trip back to Surf With Amigas.
If you don't enjoy any of the above things, this probably isn't for you. Instead, you should probably book a trip that involves kicking cute fluffy bunnies, making children cry, and drinking your own urine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband an I were looking for a down to earth surf trip in Central America. Holly's surf camp at El Coco Loco totally rocked. It's primarily a girls trip but they take couples on occasion. My husband was very welcomed and he had an awesome time. The whole experience was spectacular from early morning surfing every day, to the food, yoga, staff, and Jamie's rum drinks. The new litter of puppies just topped it off! So awesome to be greeted every morning by 8 puppies!!! Get your surf on girls!

Room Tip: You'll be so tired from surfing every day, you'll fall asleep anywhere. Hammock, bed, whate...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had been anticipating this trip for quite some time and it lived up to everything I had heard about it. The Coco Loco Surf resort was a beautiful place with amazing healthy but delicious food served up daily, I mean I've never had 2 breakfasts before but you get two there on this trip! It is an eco resort so it's perfect if you are green and like to live simply....the surfer's paradise right next to the beach (if you're high maintenance and need luxury it probably isn't for you though).

For the Surf With Amigas trip specifically, it is perfect for all levels of surfers as there were 3 instructors (including the amazingly talented ex-pro surfer Holly Beck) out in the water at all times with about a 4 surfers to 1 instructor ratio. The surf is uncrowded and the water is warm.....just my amazing kind of surf conditions!!

There was always something to do as well if you wanted (but weren't required to do everything), from Yoga to balance out the surfing to all kinds of gnarly adventures like riding this convertible party bus type out to this volcano and sledding down it, horse back riding, and even helping out and doing good, with the local charity Waves of Hope. It was just the little things too that added a special flair, like when they had beer waiting for us after horseback riding, unexpected but just little things like that were also what made the trip special!

I met some awesome people there and just had a great time hanging out with everyone and having one week of pure surfing....I've never surfed 7 days in a row before, but now I'm craving to do it more!!! I will definitely be back at some point!!!! A surf trip of a lifetime!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Surf With Amigas- Women's Surf and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!