“Amazing Spot!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rise Up Surf Tours Nicaragua

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinandega
Rise Up Surf Tours Nicaragua
Salinas Grandes, Chinandega, Nicaragua   |
STAUG
“Amazing Spot!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My son and I stayed at Rise Up in mid August and scored overhead waves all week. The first three days at Puerto Sandino and the rest at the beach break and river mouth by the house. It was double overhead the first day at the point but got really good a little smaller(two feet overhead) when it lined up for super long rides. Although the waves were sick all week the best part of the trip was the beautiful desolate beach and the wonderful hosts. Phil and his crew are super chill and will make sure you are taken care of. It is also nice to know you are staying with an operation that really is in tune with the locals and is looking to be a positive influence in the community. If you are looking for great waves, very little to no crowds and a trip off the beaten path Rise Up is the spot. Thanks Rise Up and we will be back!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Deerfield Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Rise Up is definitely the place to be. From the time we got there to the time we left all was taken care of. I went with my girlfriend and another surfer friend of mine. There were fun clean waves every single day, the only people in the line up were me my friend and four other heads that were staying at the camp and more than enough peaks for all of us to take off on. The swell was only big enough for us to go to sandino once and it was still awesome! The owner Phil is an extraordinary cook; his cook had just left to go travel elsewhere so he took up the job which turned out to be a real treat for us. I’m talkin’ gourmet [--], homemade mango chutneys and roasted red pepper Remoulade all that silly stuff to accent your deliciously marinated chicken or what ever it is you’re having. I can just imagine when he hires a chef that he holds them to high standards. A couple afternoons the winds turned onshore and although there were plenty of waves to be had we were off volcano boarding, chilling at his hostel in Leon, or ripping through the estuary with his boat captain. All activities not surfing were peripheral when I was booking this place but when I actually experienced them they far exceeded my expectations, principally volcano boarding and navigating the estuary by boat through literal tunnels of vegetation finally ending up on a deserted island beach for a surf session and some lunch. Yea yeeeaa.
A few other things worth mentioning: The staff are genuinely chill and fun to hang with. There was a beginner out in the water in some chest to head high surf and Hugh (staff) paid close attention and was always near him. I know when I first started surfing having some1 around always boosted my confidence. This is a place for beginners and experienced alike and what’s infinitely more important than anything I’ve mentioned thus far…No Crowd!!!!!!!!!!
Yea….I’d go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Rise Up Surf Tours is one of those hidden gems of a place that really rewards those adventurous spirits desiring the ultimate surf vacation. We are two girlfriends travelling through Central America looking for the right combination of relaxation and challenge. Rise Up provided this and more to the point where we considered returning for another week of surfing!
Right off the bat, we were greeted by Hugh and Chinto's smiling faces at the airport. Little did we know that these two guys could tear up a wave like no one's business. We were whisked away through local towns to Salinas Grande, arriving at our air conditioned house on the beach. We became quick friends with the 6 other surfers and Steve - surfer and chef extraordinaire. Mornings began with sunrise surf sessions with our oh-so-patient surf instructor Hugh, followed by a breakfast of fresh fruits and local cuisine. Meals were communal and added to the sense of comraderie we came to feel amongst the people who had come to surf. When we weren't hitting the beach breaks or reef breaks (for the latter break we opted to watched the more experienced surfers from the comfort of the boat), we were lounging seaside in hammocks and rocking chairs, adventuring up the coast in a hired boat to explore new locals, or heading into Leon for some sightseeing and volcano boarding.
Phil and his team have really gone above and beyond to create an environmentally conscious space that works closely with the locals.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Fantastic trip to Nicaragua! Highly recommend Rise Up!

The location itself is perfect. Sandy beaches, warm water and beautiful sunsets. The waves in early March were pretty consistent and just the right size for beginning surfers. And when we needed a break from the water, there were plenty of hammocks to lounge in.

My roommate and I had never surfed before, so we booked the Learn to Surf package. While we thought we would get 2 hours or so of instruction each day, it turned out to be more like 4 hours. Our instructor, Hugh, was absolutely fantastic - helpful, patient, funny and adorable (um, not that it's a factor in the surfing, but it didn't hurt...). Hugh had us standing up by the end of our first lesson, and we were catching waves by the end of the week.

Just overall, we were really well taken care of during our stay. Steve, our awesome cook, made delicious meals. And we were never without a cocktail in hand.

One thing to note is that the Rise Up camp is pretty isolated. It is located in the middle of, literally, miles and miles of deserted, beautiful beaches. That's perfect if you're looking to really relax. Just don't expect to have internet access or to be able to go out to restaurants/bars (there simply aren't any around).

Overall, this was a great trip and one that I have already recommended to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

My friend and I just stayed with Rise Up for a week. It was such a great experience all around. We did a beginner's learn to surf package, which included surfing every day, all our meals, transport from the airport and to our next destination, and several fun adventurous side trips (including volcano boarding!). Oh, and we had a stocked fridge in the room with candy and drinks, too, just like the other reviewer said. The house is right on the beach and you can sit and relax on hammocks and rocking chairs under the rancho as much as you want. Steve took care of all our meals and did an excellent job - we ate delicious, healthy, local food all week. And Hugh was our incredibly talented and patient surf instructor. And Phil, the owner/operator, was there much of the time making sure we were taken care of and helped arrange all our fun side trips. We really lucked out, each of these guys were so hospitable and just a lot of fun to be around. We also appreciated the fact that Phil gives back to the community- for example, he supports and is involved with a turtle conservation project near the house. Once we left there, we still had another week in Nicaragua to travel - we kept talking about our experience at Rise Up and recalling all the fun and beauty we experienced. Please go here and support these folks, it really is a little slice of paradise.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Stayed with Phil and the crew in August. I'm 49 and I took the trip with my 19-year-old sun to relax and catch some uncrowded waves. Phil was the perfect host. He's a great surfer, he works with the locals on sustaining the local environment, and knows how to have a good time as well. The house on the beach was perfect; my son and I each had our own room with a big bed and a beautiful shared bath. The rooms had lots of beer, soft drinks, and snacks which was nice because the surfing burned a lot of calories! The food was excellent and plenty, and relaxing on the porch staring at the ocean was priceless. And the surfing!! We took boat trips to a great left point (surfed it at 10' plus mostly alone), surfed a good beachbreak right out front, and boated through the mangroves to a "secret spot" break which was beautiful. And to top it off, Phil showed us around Leon and the hostel he runs there, and took us volcano boarding (that was wild!) as well.

I've been on several surf trips in Central/South America/Mexico, and this was the best. If I can get another week off, I'll be back.

P.S. If you feel uneasy about taking a surf trip here because of your surfing ability, don't be. I'm an average surfer at best and the swell was big that week, but I still had a ball and got a lot of great waves.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Rise Up Surf Tours Nicaragua? Share your experiences!