“Highly recommended in Tournon, France” 5 of 5 stars

26 Quai Farconnet, Tournon, Gresy sur Isere, France
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 10 Restaurants in Tournon
Cuisines: French
Description: Local cuisine including stews, salads, home made ice cream and sorbets and cakes all made from locally sourced produce at very reasonable prices. Fantastic service from friendly staff. I bought a whole load of meringues to take home!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended in Tournon, France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Au Dessert Du Roy in Tournon is a fantastic, family run little shop that sells home made ice cream, tea, coffee, cakes, and hot lunches. I have visited every single day of my week long stay in Tournon.

I have eaten:

Lemon and mango sorbet: this was absolutely delicious, beautifully presented and I wish I could take a whole load of this home. The lemon sorbet was just right - all too often it can be too sweet, or too sour. But this was just right. The mango was out of this world. Topped off with a home made biscuit.

A crepe with chocolate sauce and ice cream: again, beautifully presented. All home made, and mouth-wateringly moreish. The glutton in me wanted more, but it was filling enough for me to be good!

Veal stew: I have never had stew like it - the meat literally fell apart as my fork touched it, that's how tender it was. The sauce was divine - a perfect blend of flavours, complimented beautifully with roast potatoes and a mixed salad, served with optional home made dressing.

Lamb meatballs: again, so very tender and full of flavour. Presentation was spot on, and it filled me until dinner time.

Tarts: Oh so, many tarts! I tried the banana and chocolate one, the mango and apricot, and the pear and chocolate. All are made that morning, and none can possibly be called a favourite. They were all so good. The pastry was perfectly crisp (there's nothing worse that soggy pastry!) and they were of course beautifully presented.

The Dingers are fantasically friendly, and pay attention to every little detail. Their shop is located along a busy stretch of bars and restaurants, although theirs out as the best of the bunch due to the tastful decor, the friendly service, the gorgeous food and (importantly for me) being the only place with a clean, tastefully decorated toilet. Honestly, the other bars had awful lavatories.

And finally, I bought a big bag of meringues to sneak in to my case to take home. I bought all three options: plain, chocolate covered and caramel covered.

Wine is served with your meal but there is no bar, which is perfect for me as it means you don't have to eat with drunken loud people!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere