“june 2011 review... so far sounds so good” 5 of 5 stars

Chalet Hotel Les Melezes
73220 Tignes, France   |
Ranked #8 of 56 Specialty lodging in Tignes
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“june 2011 review... so far sounds so good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

i am a very picky person when it comes to hotels as i have stayed in some dumps due to other family members arranging surprise holidays for birthday.
i have checked countless amount of reviews on this hotel as again its another birthday treat for me for a short break.
i must admit i have read better reviews about this hotel compared to other bigger hotels that are on a larger scale which is a relief.
i have a trip planned for chalet hotel les melezes on june 19 just me and my partner i promise to take plenty of photos with my camera write an up to date review on my stay at this hotel.
going by the reviews i will no doubt enjoy every minute of my stay..
watch this space....
dan

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Myself and three friends returned to Melezes for an eight day stay last week. One of my mates had stayed with his familly over Xmas and he said standards had dropped....so when we arrived we were not suprised to be greeted by Ellie the new manageress, and not by the previous management. Indeed there had been a complete clearout of management and staff just after new year...
...and the good news is that Ellie and her new team are pulling out all the stops to re-establish Melezes as a customer friendly, budget hotel.However there's lots to do and things like maintenance have suffered in the past year since our last visit. There's been a few economy measures relating to food, but portions were still good and evening meal quality was high, including unlimited free wine !!! Buffet breakfast was still good, but the "cooked" meal option was more limited to eggy bread type food rather than bacon.sausages etc
There's new skiis in the bootroom, but at the beginning of our stay it was all a bit disorganised and I had to find my own skis.The bootroom had an external door virtually hanging off and there was no internal door...but that's scheduled to be repaired soon.

The Melezes is still 75 metres from the piste, and 10 metres from the door on the return (if you're able to ski over a small bridge!!)
The Bar area is very friendly and all the customers mix freely, so even if there's just a couple of you you'll know everyone by the end of your stay.
Food is still pretty good and plentiful, and the free lunchtime soup and rolls can save you a lot of money. In Brevieres they were charging 15 euros for chilli concarne..wouldn't pay that out of principal !!
Public areas and rooms do need maintenance and upgrade..all in hand say's Ellie. And it is budget prices after all.
Sauna and hot tub still working ok.

In the eight days we were there Ellie didn't stop, at one stage I thought she was attached to her computer in reception.So I'm sure she'll get it all sorted at Melezes.

You will be assured of a friendly welcome and I sure you'll have a great trip.

Sandy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Having just stayed at Les Melezes for a long weekend I left thoroughly impressed all round. We arrived around midnight on the first night, and were still greeted with soup, bread and cheese, and offered being fitted out with boots and skis so that we could get started quickly the next morning, and had our lift passes ready and waiting for us at breakfast.

The rooms are basic, but were clean and warm, with plenty of extra quilts and blankets if needed. I certainly slept well every night (maybe aided by a Baileys or two before bed!)

The food was excellent all round, delicious and sizeable portions. For the price you could not expect better. One of our party had a birthday during the trip and we even got a cake baked specially for her.

Location wise the hotel is excellent, a two minute walk from the piste down to the lifts, and you can ski to within 10ft of the hotel. The whole resort was great, although expensive for food, especially if you stopped for lunch over in Val D'Isere.

The staff were superb, friendly and helpful all round, and despite some recent changes in line up everything was well run, and with Ellie taking over managing the hotel, things look to be on the up and up.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Hotel Les Melezes, and am already considering booking to return next year.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

It's difficult to write a glowing review but its also difficult to write a damming review, so i'll try and cover my experiences from a recent stay.
It's important to remember that you get what you pay for in this life. If you want 5star luxury than you have to pay for it. If you can only afford cheap, then you should expect basic and some compromises. The chalet is located in a side street of Les Boissses with a handful of almost identical chalets. The only nightlife within a five minute walk are the bars of the other chalets, however also within 200m of the chalet is a bus stop for the local free bus service that will take you to where the nightlife is.
When it comes to skiing, you can either catch the same bus into town or just behind the bus stop is a piste that will take you to a couple of lifts or a nice short cruise into Les Breviere where you can buy a lift pass.
Breakfast is a typical continental buffet affair with one hot choice on offer, typically porridge, omelet, etc. There is adequate choice and regular top ups from the staff. Around 1pm the chalet puts on soup but we were never around to take advantage of it. Around 4pm they put on coffee, tea and cakes in the lounge which was popular during our stay. The evening meal was adequate but I'm a bit of a fussy eater and one evening did not like any of the choices on offer (salad or fish). The free wine with the evening meal can only loosely be described as wine, but again its free and as many carafes as you choose to drink will be brought to your table.
Our evenings were spent in the lounge drinking from their bar, that is of course when we could find somewhere to sit. When the hotel is full then the lounge/bar is totally inadequate to accommodate everybody, so people either sat in the dinning room or made their way back to their rooms.
The rooms are basic, but warm and clean. I use my room for sleeping in and it was more than adequate for that purpose. The only downside is that it was under the dinning room so we were woken up every morning by scrapping chairs on the floor. Worked as a good alarm bell though.
The staff are a young crowd and do a good job although a little disorganized but I suspect that will improve with the new hotel manager.

Overall, basic, cheap and cheerful

Aviemore, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

If you want posh don't go to Les Melezes. However if you want an excellent value ski break with cheery helpful staff and good company then this is the place for you. We had a great three days glacier skiing in November at Les Melezes. Picked up at Geneva airport as promised. Bit of an eventful trip to Tignes due to lack of snow tyres, but chains did the job once fitted. Room basic but fine, other than blinds which did not open! Good basic grub at dinner and breakfast. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Planning next trip!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed in this chalet in the middle of Jan this year. I was a bit hesitant at first when booking it, as it seemed to be a little bit outside Tignes. However, I need not of worried, as when we got there the chair lift is literally just 5 mins skiing down the hill. The chalet is very cosy, and the staff really friendly! I was pleasantly surprised by the food as well, substantial portions and excellent quality.....with as much wine as you can drink! Which makes this place brilliant value for money, considering how little we paid. We were lucky with the conditions as it snowed heavily during the week, which meant a full day of powder and abslutely loads of fun. The blue run back to the chalet was a bit icy and treacherous whilst we were there.....lots of people crashing out....so sharpen up those skis! Overall I can highly recommend this chalet, and I will be visiting here again should I return to the Espace Killy.

Finally, I'm surprised to see other reviews slating the in house ski hire. My friends hired stuff from here and the quality was good, and the equipment was well serviced. Plus on the powder day, my friend was even a pair of fat powder skis for the day, as a swap for his groomer skis, to make the most of the conditions. Pretty good service i'd say!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Granted people are allowed their own opinions but I can't believe some of the bad reviews I've seen on this site!

I've stayed in the Melezes 3 out of the 4 times I've been to Tignes and I can honestly say I wouldn't stay anywhere else when I go back. It's not 5* but if you want 5* I suggest you stay in a 5* hotel!

The staff are absolutely brilliant and can't do enough for you. The place is well run and has good facilities, the rooms are descent and the food is top notch.

It's not right in the heart of things but Le Boisses is nice and quiet and very close to Le Lac if you want to venture into the town after hours. The area is really nice and the perfect place to enjoy a beer at the in house bar or on the terrace after a hard day on the slopes.

I've visited in every season now. Early season in October on the Glacier, stupidly cheap deal as part of their board camp, try out next season's kit, lift up to the Funicular in the morning and back in the afternoon, it was quite icy and a bit treacherous but still loads of fun!

January when the whole place is open, you're 5 minutes from the nearest slope and not far from the bubble car. Next season they're putting in a new Gondola so it'll be even better.

May was probably my favorite, empty slopes and lifts but the whole area is still open, bit slush in the afternoons but find the right slopes and you're in heaven.

July on the Glacier, Tignes is absolutely stunning when it's green, loads open up top until 1pm and then mountain biking, white water rafting and too many other sports available to name, most of them free! Again the Melezes has a superb deal around this time which can include all of the above.

It might sound like I'm some sort of PR agent for them but it's not true, I've truly fallen in love with Tignes as a whole and the Melezes and the staff there are absolutely brilliant.

I'll be back very soon indeed!

Danny
London

• Stayed July 2010

Been to Chalet Hotel Les Melezes? Share your experiences!