“A nice chateau experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau de Divonne

Save Saved
You added Chateau de Divonne to your Saves list
Chateau de Divonne
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   115, rue des Bains | pres de Geneve, 01220 Divonne-les-Bains, France   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Divonne-les-Bains
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“A nice chateau experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have stayed many times on business. I like the feeling of seclusion and getting away from the big hotels. The rooms tend to be a good size and and always quiet and comfortable. The food is very nice but I cant comment on the prices as it alwasy goes on the company credit card! Service is good too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Chateaux_hotels_gef, Responsable Réservations at Chateau de Divonne, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Madam, Sir,

We wanted to thank you for your feedback regarding you many stays at Château de Divonne.
We are very happy to see that our clients realize our chance to have such position close to Geneva.
We looking forward to welcom you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ferney-Voltaire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We started our meal at the Chateau de Divonne with champagne. My husband's glass of Brut was fine, but my Rosé was obviously flat. I complained and the glass was replaced with a fresh one, but at €18 a glass I shouldn't have had to ask.

As for our food, what we had didn't taste bad, it only looked bad. My langoustine ravioli was flavorful but looked like a bowl of mud. It was the worst dressed plate I've ever had in France. A sad sprig of green parsley couldn't help that overwhelming brown. My husband's lobster medallions, which should have had pride of place, were buried under lettuce leaves.

Next plates - again, good taste - horrible presentation. My husband's veal and eggplant purée was meat swimming in a beige mush-like sea (and mush is a nice comparison). My dorade with mushroom risotto was yet another monochromatic study in brown.

They redeemed themselves somewhat with the desserts. My Grand Marnier souffle was excellent, my husband's chocolate fondant equally so, and their presentation was better.

For a restaurant in this price range how the food is presented is as important as how it tastes. I can't say this was the worst tasting meal I've ever had, but I have to say it was the least attractive.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed there for 1 night and also had dinner with clients. It sells itself as a bit of old fashioned luxury, but in my view it was a bit more old fashioned and a bit less luxury. I realise you cant have it all, but I have stayed in plenty of old placed that also have a modern touch tastefully done. This place needs modernising and thats a fact.

The dinner was really good quality and you get a fantastic view over the lake from the dining room. The night porter kept the bar open until the early hours as we were residents and that is always a bonus.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We had a wonderful experience staying at Chateau de Divonne. The location is great away from the busy Geneva, but still less than 15 minute drive from the airport saving you some money compared with similar hotels in Switzerland. Our room was small but cosy and quiet. The restaurant is excellent with a wonderful terrasse for summer dinners. The staff including the management is first class, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

the hotel is in the middle of the forest, very "chateau style". with very good service, views, and very nice to relax after a long flight, close to Geneva airport, city and close to Lac Leman if you are interested in make a tour around it

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Went for some business meetings. First off, a beautiful location. Great views. The hotel and rooms are very old -- if you are looking for some charm, then this is the place. If you are looking for working Internet and a modern feel - go elsewhere. There is also a bit of an attitude here, as they wouldn"t recommend any outside restaurants to us, or allow us to order food in, as they only wanted us to eat in their restaurant...Also, smeels old and musty, but kind of cool and retro that way - in a mid-evil way...Beware of getting a windowless room...

Room Tip: Get one with a window! some dont have windows!!!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
geneva, switz'd
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed overnight in this hotel after a Valentine's Day meal. We had a large room and it was like the Chateau overall: comfortable, spacious, a little on the shabby side. For instance the furniture didn't all match in our room and one of the curtains fell off the window when we opened it. Nothing serious, but more in the range of old charm rather than pure comfort and luxury (that one might expect for the price).
The hotel is in a very quiet location but the floorboards were creaky so I was relieved that the people in the room above us didn't move around much - as we heard them when they walked.
The staff were friendly and kind - although a cleaner came into our room when we were still there.
The food was good. Not outstanding but good and the breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau de Divonne? Share your experiences!