“Superb honeymoon hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tiara Yaktsa Cannes

Save Saved
You added Tiara Yaktsa Cannes to your Saves list
Tiara Yaktsa Cannes
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6, Boulevard de l'Esquillon, 06590 Theoule sur Mer, France   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Theoule sur Mer
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Superb honeymoon hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed at Tiara Yaktsa for the last 4 nights of our honeymoon through France and so pleased we found this hotel. It was truly superb.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel was clean and well equipped and the views were beautiful.

We only ate in the hotel one evening, it was very special! But we also wanted to venture to local restaurants which provided some lovely food.

Unfortunately we experienced rather stormy / wet weather during our stay, but we still managed to spend a couple of hours in the mornings enjoying the peace, relaxation and stunning views by the pool.

We had a hire car as we had travelled through France staying at a couple of other destinations enroute. Having a hire car was beneficial (although not essential) for the location of this hotel. The hotel would have arranged a car with driver for us if not, as I saw them doing this for other guests.

I'd love to return!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
THIEBAUT F, Directeur général at Tiara Yaktsa Cannes, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your review of your stay in our Hotel.

Your satisfaction is our best reward and we are looking forward to welcoming your back at Tiara Yaktsa.

We really look forward to welcome you back in a near future.

Yours sincerely,

Frederick Thiébaut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We chose TYC for a long weekend break with a bit of luxury and sun thrown in. The weather lived up to expectations, and although the hotel was very nice, it just wasn't... well, it just was not as good as we anticipated. The view from the terrace is exceptional, the pool area with large beds for soaking up the sun very pleasant, but there was just something of the Wow missing from the hotel itself.

Our room was disappointing for the rate we paid...a Prestige Room, that may have even been of a higher grade, but our mini terrace/balcony overlooked the vast air conditioning units and the staff areas as well as another room's balcony and next door's pool and its boisterous occupants. We were expecting to open large doors onto a balcony with the View, not having to squeeze through a side door onto the terrace to see the View beyond the aircon units, which were also quite noisy. Our room was also bizarrely outside of the hotel, which felt odd. Perhaps it was meant to add the solitude factor ....?

Service on the whole was good, although I think we may have caught the receptionist a bit flustered when we arrived, but she relaxed soon after. All the other front desk staff were excellent as were the bar staff, who even bent the rules to bring us a bottle of wine down into the garden. Shhhh!

We ate there one night too out on the terrace. A bit too formal perhaps, it could be more relaxed, but all the diners seemed to be whispering. The food was very good although the wine list was short and pricey. Breakfast prices seemed exorbitant, especially given the room rate, so try to get an include B&B rate. I also must reiterate other guests comments about the main terrace area beng bizarrely out of bounds at breakfast.

The hotel is quite isolated, about 15 to 20 mins walk to other restaurants and the beach and about half an hour drive to central Cannes.

On the whole we enjoyed our break though think our euros could have stretched a bit further.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Tiara Yaktsa Cannes has exceptional standards of quality. It is the place to go if you would like to feel a mix of comfort, tranquillity, elegance and luxury for detail.

It has also amazing panoramic sea views which are really astonishing beautiful. However, what it does make Tiara Yaktsa unique and different from any other luxury Cannes in the same area is the amazing attentive service provided.

Having spent a week in the hotel last week, I was really impressed with the amazing support we received when I accidentally fell with my 3 year child.

The hotel manager, Mr Frédérick Thiébaut, was truly exceptional in ensuring First Aid was provided straight away, in arranging an ambulance to the Hospital, in providing chocolates & water to the difficult long waiting hours ahead, and in providing us with an unique detailed support when we returned from the hospital: we had in our room a letter for us and a letter with an exceptional beautiful decorated present of sweets for my son.
This made my son smile which was truly unique under the circumstances.

We were also able to continue to enjoy our holiday which I believe would not have been possible without his unique attentive service.

A truly unforgettable stay in this unique hotel.

Highly recommended.

Dr Lurdes Valado

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dollar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel with amazing views. Service at times a little haphazard and there were a few issues such as no tonic water or first aid box(though the manager did scoot down to town to buy bandages etc after my husband trapped his finger in a door!). That said I would go back in an instant. Really relaxing and far from the noise that is Cannes. Room 25 is a real gem.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokyo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My girlfriend and I enjoyed a rather busy holiday in France, and decided to spend out last two nights in the country at the Tiara Yaktsa hotel to relax and unwind.

The first thing we found out was how isolated the Tiara Yaktsa was. The hotel is located on a peninsula some distance from the nearest town area. The isolation made the hotel very quiet, which was something of a treat after the noise of Paris and Nice. The downside to the isolated location is that unless you have a car, or care to spend a bit for a taxi, you will be pretty much stuck at the hotel.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were impressed by the style of the building, the grounds, and the view. Upon entering the hotel, we were less impressed. Firstly, no one met us at the entrance, so we had to carry our bags in ourselves. Next, although we arrived after check-in time, our room was not yet ready. We were asked to wait on the veranda, and offered drinks to enjoy while we waited. Unfortunately, the room took a bit of time to get ready, and the drinks never arrived. While we were waiting, we heard another guest complaining, apparently his room was not ready either. Fortunately for us, our room was finished before his, and we were able to get our bags inside. The clerk was surprised to hear that we had never gotten our drinks, and they were brought to our room a few minutes later.

We found the room to be beautiful. It was large and airy, with a queen size bed, a nice sofa, table, desk, chair, and a large enough closet. The colors were pleasant and relaxing, the lamps and lights were very nice, perfect for a romantic evening, but not bright enough for reading or other work. The bed was reasonably comfortable, and the linens were nice as well. There was a cabinet which included a variety of CDs for different moods, but we didn't bother to use them. The internet service is excellent, and wifi is available pretty much everywhere on the grounds. The quietness and solitude made for a good sleep. The train passes occasionally on the tracks a couple of kilometers away, and you can clearly hear it, anywhere else the sound would be drowned out by background noise, but as there is no background noise in Theoule sur mer, it is the only sound you may hear.

The bathroom was very nice, large, and had the usual amenities. Our second floor room had a nice balcony view, and the large windows in the bathroom allowed one to enjoy the view while attending to "business".

Speaking of the view, it was very nice, one can enjoy watching the boats in the little bay, the sunsets behind the tall hills, and the red cliffs overlooking the sea were quite beautiful. We arrived shortly before a large yacht show in Cannes, so there were quite a few beautiful yachts to be seen.

We enjoyed the hotel breakfast buffet on both mornings, the food was decent, though the service was not very good. We could not eat on the veranda, apparently the veranda is "part of the restaurant", and we were given to know that breakfast was not served in the restaurant. The breakfast area is not bad, but it would be nice to be able to eat where you want to eat.

The room service menu is not bad, and you can order 24 hours a day. Prices are also not bad for what you get, and the service is prompt if not especially friendly.

We enjoyed the swimming pool very much. The water was perfect, and one can enjoy the view of the bay while relaxing in the pool. The deck chairs and day beds are comfortable, but the towels are not regularly replenished, and latecomers may have trouble finding them.

Our pool attendant visited only sporadically, so getting drinks or food while at the pool is not so easy. When we finally got his attention, we enjoyed the Yaktsa burger, which was surprisingly good.

During our stay we didn't interact with the staff very much, but they weren't particularly helpful. We asked for directions to the nearest shops from two different staff members, and received two different replies, and this was disconcerted. As others have mentioned, the service at the Tiara Yaksta is not 5 stars by any definition, were the service better, I would give a better review.

I would love to stay at the Tiara Yaktsa again, perhaps on a cycling vacation, I can't think of a more scenic place to see on two wheels. I would recommend the Tiara Yaktsa for someone who wants to spend a relaxing weekend doing nothing. It was nice to get completely away from the city, the noise, and from work. I felt quite refreshed after my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just spent six days in the South of France with my wife and was generally bowled over by the standard of hotels we stayed in and restaurants we ate in. We're there two or three times a year and tend to be quite critical, but this trip was a revelation. We stayed at two hotels - Hotel Yaktsa in Theoule-sur-Mer and La Voile d'Or in St Jean Cap Ferrat, which has a seperate review.

Being used to the quality and level of service of Oriental hotels, I was completely taken aback by the Hotel Yaktsa. It is simply fantastiuc. All the staff are there to help you in every way possible. We had a lovely Junior Suite overlooking the gardens and it was thoroughly comfortable. I was not keen on the current menu in the restaurant and it was no bother for the chef to change things for me. I would rate the dinner we had there as wonderful - we ate overlooking the bay and it was breathtaking. I asked the Maitre d' to select a good Provence Rose and he came up with a choice that was by no means the most expensive, but very good. We did stay in this lovely hotel for one night last year and that visit was also every bit as good. The location in somewhat remote so you need a car or taxi to get around. If you do stay here, I siuggest at least one meal at the Marco Polo in Theoule-sur-Mer, on the waterfront. It's a madhouse in the evening, but what a great atmosphere. Apart from being a wonderfully appointed hotel, you'll have to go a long way to find the level of care and attention from all the Staff. Well done, Hotel Taktsa.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We just came back from a 4 night stay at this property, and I am sad to say that I agree with most of the negative reviews posted on TA.
The property itself is very beautiful, the room was pretty, the bathroom with the double rain shower was definitely luxurious. The pool is very nice as well with a great view. I will say though that the whole pool/pool beds area feels a bit cramped. For a hotel which targets couples looking for a romantic and intimate stay, I thought the lack of intimacy was very surprising: the day beds are very close to each other, and the pool area is very small.
Our room (5) has a nice sea view but being on the ground floor, our balcony was actually in between the restaurant terrace and some daybeds. Our room was literally right next to the restaurant and the restaurant toilets, and one of the restaurant tables was so close to our bathroom wall, that sitting on the toilets we could actually hear all of the couple’s conversation. Not a huge deal for us but I don’t want to think about what they could hear… In the evening, we could hear the staff chatting and laughing while closing the restaurant, and in the morning we would be woken up by some trolleys going through the corridor.
These are minor gripes in my view; the main reason for our disappointment is the service. The level of service and amenities is a world away from what you would expect in a true 5* property. I consider myself pretty well travelled, and we are lucky enough to have visited many 5* hotels, and Tiara Yaktsa doesn’t stand the comparison at all, or even compared to much cheaper bed and breakfasts with no star at all. I am under the impression that they charge extortionate prices so that you would believe this is a 5*hotel, but when you get there, nothing follows…
The staff we interacted with was very smiling and nice, but not well trained at all, not professional. Professional staff shouldn’t make you feel awkward, but that’s how they made us feel, although not intentionally. We were first welcomed to the hotel on a nice terrace and offered a drink. We filled out a form where they ask you which newspapers you’d like to have. My boyfriend asked for the Wall Street Journal or Financial Times. Granted, these may not be easy to find in that area. But in that case, it may be a good idea for some member of the staff to tell us that they can’t provide either of these and offer an alternative? Instead of that, nothing was mentioned about newspapers after that. When I asked the girl who showed us our room if they had any suggestion regarding activities we could do in the area, in particular if there were any nice hikes, she giggled and told us we could hike on the beach…? She did say she hadn’t been working at the hotel for very long and that she would ask her colleagues. But no follow up after that (we ended up going to the office du tourisme in Theoule, where the staff was fantastic, and extremely helpful). And to give you an example of how to make a guest feel awkward: there was a dvd player in the room, and when my boyfriend asked her if they had dvds we could borrow, she giggled – again – and asked him why he would watch a dvd when he had a pretty woman in the room with him… I’m sure she was well intentioned, but the whole thing felt quite unprofessional.
We went to the pool twice (once at 4pm, once at 5pm). We NEVER saw any member of staff at the pool, and I had to look around and find the small room where the towels were stored in order to get them myself. Needless to say no one was ever there to set up the day beds for us. Forget about ordering a drink!
And the cherry on the cake is the “fitness center”. We actually went to the fitness center as we wanted to have a workout session, and what a joke! The fitness center is actually the size of a closet, with one bike and one elliptical machine, one exercise ball, and that’s it. No weights, nothing. Oh, and the room is freezing cold. Trust me, whoever called this room the “fitness center” has never ever set foot in a gym.
Given the extortionate prices they charge for breakfast (EUR30 per person) or for the spa treatment (bear in mind that I’m comparing to other 5* properties), we gave these a pass. We also passed on the restaurant given how overpriced everything else was.
So overall, very disappointing. Management seems to justify the lack of amenities and service by the size of the hotel, but the hotel where we stayed before Tiara Yaktsa had 12 rooms, so I do think this is a fair comparison. No service doesn’t mean romantic. No service means no service, and it means not worth EUR 370 per night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tiara Yaktsa Cannes? Share your experiences!