“Chateau de Valmer, just perfect” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Boulevard de Gigaro, 83420 La Croix-Valmer, France   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in La Croix-Valmer
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Chateau de Valmer, just perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I booked Chateau de Valmer as a last minute get away as we were both very stressed with our jobs. We found the hotel on Google and I was a little apprehensive and didn't know what to expect.
I travel all over the world with my business and have stayed in lots of 5 star hotels but I have to say Chateau de Valmer is the best I have stayed at. The place is just so incredibly beautiful and the gardens are absolutely stunning. With the beach just down the tree lined path. What makes this hotel so special is from the very first moment you step through the doors you are made to feel so welcome and the staff are fantastic. I enjoyed learning French with our very patient bartender Auelien, who took the time to get to know us and teach us some basics and ensuring he remembered our names. It really is the little touches that make great service. Absolutely perfect.. Well done to the management at the Chateau as they certainly have paid attention to training their staff and we will definitely be going back.. .UK

Room Tip: our room was overlooking the gardens and the smell of lavender and mint will remain with me for a lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying at the hotel for a long weekend and I have to say the setting is beautiful, so is the facility, nothing to say about the hotel. However I have a major complaint with the service at the restaurant. We booked the first night a table for two, showed up at 9.15pm as planned and had a horrible experience which ruined the evening and my perception of the hotel.
The restaurant is not cheap (al least €200 for two with entree, main, dessert and wine, etc), so you would expect a 5 star service. The waitress took our orders (with great difficulty as English is optional here) and after bringing us the wrong wine and some bread and butter left us waiting for over 45min to bring us the starters. After a couple of solicitations and after asking what was going on the waitress told us they had some problems in the kitchen with somebody being taken ill. I made clear that we were going to leave if food wasn't coming but she reassured us it was a matter of minutes.
After another 20min (where we heard other guests complaining openly about the long wait) she showed up with our main courses! I asked what happened to the starters but she could explain, she insisted we had cancelled the orders when I early threatened to leave but we didn't, I suppose she didn't understand my request in English.
She offered to bring us the starters after the mains, we accepted but after 5min she came back and apologised the kitchen was closing at 10.30pm and we couldn't have any more food! We only had a small main and by then we drank all the wine so I was hungry and furious. Other guests also were complaining.
They offered us not to pay for the meal, which we obviously expected. The restaurant manager tried to explain it was the waitress which was not able to run our table, I found this a very poor lack of accountability.
Something odd happened also - a man sat alone close to our table and with a commanding tone asked for a couple of plates on the menu and got them very shortly. He appeared to be in charge, possibly the hotel managing director. If he was I wonder why he didn't take responsibility and came to us to apologise, if he wasn't I am not sure why he got served right away.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Numa R, Gérant at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Client,

You were kind enough to share your experience and I would like to thank you. Your comments are very important as they provide us a motive for continuous improvement.

I have taken note of your comments regarding your experience at the restaurant La Palmeraie and we feel sincerely sorry.

Please understand, Sir, that this particular evening was a "unique" incident. I took immediate decisions for it not to occur ever again.

I sincerely hope you will give us a second chance and wait for the pleasure to welcome you personally at the Château de Valmer.

Yours sincerely,

Gérant
Antibes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Given we drove for 10 hrs from Paris to get here, arrived tired, late & looking forward to relaxing in the sun, we're delighted we found such a perfect place in what can only be described as paradise. We had a warm welcome, superb food delivered to our beautiful room & the best sleep we can remember, waking up in heaven.
The hotel, it's location, rooms, we are situated in a junior suite with sea views, is peaceful, stunning, perfectly clean, crispy white bedlinen, brand new everything is all we could wish for.. all thanks to the attention to detail & love invested by the owners of this stunning Chateau.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Numa R, Owner at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Sir or Madam,

I thank you for your kind comments.

I am delighted that you enjoyed both the location and the quality of our services.

It is true that we invest a lot of efforts to make this Château as stunning as possible.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again at the Château de Valmer.

Cordially,

Owner
provence
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed for the 4th time in this hotel, previous a 4 star. They claimed a 5th star this year and got it by a sleepy inspector. Here is what we experienced;
-no restaurant service at all;
-no room service after 10pm
-no warm water in the shower (2x)
-no shampoo (but 4 conditioners instead)
-no lights in hall way (you have to switch it on yourself and goes off 30 seconds later)
-no tourist info in room or lobby
-no capability in making reservations for other restaurants

A hotel with a nice location and lots of possibilities, but very very poorly managed, only objective of management is to cut on expenses and to get the most out of you. Room prices over 385 euro, without breakfast (28 euro a person), simple drinks about 10 euro a glass.
So briefly said, we took our lugguage and went off after 2 nights to a real 5 star hotel in Cannes (Carlton)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Numa R, Gérant at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear customer,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.

Some of the experiences that you described like the warm water and the shampoo incident do not reflect the image and the service that we want to deliver to our guests. I and my team feel very concerned about the well being of our guests during their stay at the Château de Valmer. I hope you will accept our apologises.

However, concerning the other points, please allow me to give you my version of the facts:

-Concerning your comment on the restaurant service, I would like to mention that it is written in each booking confirmation that we propose to our guests a restaurant on the beach (at our sister hotel La Pinède Plage) located 200 meters from the Château de Valmer (a shuttle service is available). We also call our customers one day prior their arrival to ask them if they want to book a dinner for their first night with us.

-When you mentioned " no room service after 10 p.m.", I and the F & B manager proposed you as we propose to any of our clients, a room service. However it has been refused… Furthermore I have to precise that this room service is available 20/ 24h which is within the standards of a 5 stars hotel.

-About the tourist informations, a tourist guide is at the disposal of every guests, in each room and at the reception area. This guide provides all the information you need to plainfully enjoy your stay on the Saint Tropez peninsula.

-As you write about our team making reservations for other restaurants, I was aware that you wanted to have dinner in restaurants near Saint Tropez... however, for each of these attempts, it was fully booked. You have told our team that you will check with us again for where to eat and apparently did not want to move out of the property anymore for the rest of the evening...

To conclude, we appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future at the Chateau de Valmer.

Cordially,

Michel Colomas
Director
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed 2 nights, lovely room spacious with lovely bathroom and view over gardens. Rained during most of our stay, so nice to spend time in room relaxing. Noisy French family in next room with dog barking and baby crying, so this was annoying. Dog also went into the indoor pool/spa which I reported to management. Lovely location, with lovely walk down to beach. Shame about the people in the room next to ours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Numa R, Directeur général at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

First of all, I want to thank you for taking time to make a comment on your experience in le Château de Valmer.

I appreciate that you enjoyed the facilities and services of our hotel. However I am sorry to hear that you encountered some neighborhood problems during your stay with us.

We are sorry if you have not completely enjoyed your stay with us and sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at the Château de Valmer. We will be at your disposal for any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,

Augsburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stay there since several years at least two times a year. It is such a great place to be as it is a wonderful hotel with a warm and personal service, friendly staff, superclean rooms, good food and the most beautiful beach at the Pinede Plage.

The perfect combination for us is a room in the Provence-style chateau and a day at the beach of the Pinede Plage including lunch there on the stylish terrace. The Chateau is very very calm and lovely in all the details. There is a alltime shuttle-service to the beach-hotel Pinede Plage which is also a very nice place to stay in seaview rooms.

Both properties are in exceptional good shape. Perfect housekeeping, great room-service and a totally comitted management. Magnificent gardens all around with vineyards, palmtrees, pools (in- and outdoor) - all well maintained. Secure parking at the beach.

It is by far the best you can get all along the Cote d'Azur - private owned and operated hotels.

It is not really cheap but it is worth the price as they take care for their guests and their hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have been coming here annually for over a decade, during which time a very good hotel has become an excellent one with the addition of modern essentials such as free, reliable WiFi, minibars and a superb spa. The food is worthy of at least one Michelin star. Staff are all exceptionally friendly and helpful. The best rooms are very spacious and even cheaper ones more than adequate

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Chateau de Valmer? Share your experiences!