“Not a nice experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of L'escale

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cassis
L'escale
You added L'escale to your Saves list
3 Avenue Jean Jacques Garcin, 13260 Cassis, France   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Cassis B&B and Inns
Vienna
“Not a nice experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Cassis is a great spot and the house is really in a nice location on top of a "rochelle blanche". The house is within 15 min walking distance to the harbour (shops, restaurants, cafes) and 5 min walking distance to the entrances of the calanques. Right underneath the house (very steep trail) is a nudist / gay "beach", which is actually a rock, but you can also go there with swim suit - it's actually quite cool.

We had a double room with a breathtaking view, nicely furnished and with a spacious bathroom. The room was not perfectly clean but ok. (we do like it very clean so this did not live up to our expectations but for others it might be fine)
The other rooms / amenities of the house were a total mess (stuff everywhere, dirty dishes in the kitchen, dogfood on tableware, old plastic furniture on the breakfast terrasse, breakfast plates with jams just standing around in the kitchen.... )

The host was rather unfriendly and we did not at all feel welcome in the house. When we decided to leave the house early to go hiking we left a note for the host to ask if she could prepare just a little breakfast (we explicitely said we make tea etc ouselves in the room) and put it in front of our door (so that she did not have to get up early!!!), we received a pack of toast bread (! Toast ! in France), a half full jar of jam and a melon on a tray with some cutlery (no plates, no napkins, not even two trays). When we came back from the hike I wanted to take a nap in the garden area and asked her were I could do that, she snapped at me that obviously I did not read all the information on her webpage which cleary indicated everything and that she thought I (!) was unfriendly by even asking....she then directed me to the hot tub area.
The area around the hot tub was absolutely messy as well (i.e., dog [--] in the garden) - so no way I would have every used that!
Last but not least they claim they have internet, in reality it hardly worked. When I told the host he said "on my computer it works, sorry"- a great answer ;-)
My conclusion, if you find any other b&b in the area don't stay there.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I ended our driving tour of Provence with a stay at Valeries and Jules B&B. Our stay was in May 2013 and we stayed in the Belvedere Chambre. First of all I must encourage everyone to visit Cassis. It is a beautiful escape if you are looking to get away from the city and experience good restaurants, the ocean and there are many places to walk around town plus the cliffs. Very picturesque Great place to get reacquainted with your partner or just relax. If you are driving there are many things to see in the area. I highly recommended visiting Bandol (20kms) for you wine lovers and driving the Route de Cretes for the spectacular views.

L'Escale is well located and has a magnificent view. The walk into the restaurant/shopping area is around 15 mins and is good exercise before and after dinner :) A great breakfast by Jules overlooking the mediterrenean is perfect way to start your day. Everything is fresh and well thought out. The room was a little small to lounge in but suited its purpose (I believe the other rooms may have been bigger) Warning Belvedere has a generous tub for two but if you like to shower then you need to do that sitting down. Just a heads up for other north americans who like their stand up showers :)

In Cassis you are paying for the view and the location. So you are going to pay a little more. Cassis has this in abundance. L'Escale is quiet and away from the busy little centre of the town. If you are a couple this is great. For families perhaps not ideal. Also a heads up; L'escale is the home of Valerie and Jules and so they do have a cat and 2 dogs (one large one small). All friendly, however if you are allergic you should know this. The pets do not go near the rooms

Jules and Valerie were great hosts. Very friendly, warm and helpful. They have a great property in a great location. We would recommend them to our friends and family

Room Tip: Old house with thick walls and great views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had a fantastic time at L'Escale! The owners are wonderfully welcoming and go above and beyond. Our room (La Colonel) was spacious with a funky mix of Asian and modern furniture, very clean and with its own patio. Julien's breakfasts were sumptuous and Valerie was so helpful with suggestions during our stay. We enjoyed quite a few aperitifs (sipping the local wines) with our hosts and other guests on the terrace of their beautiful home. They really worked hard to make our stay special, including picking us up with their own car when we got lost the 1st night there!

Best of all: the place is 3 minutes from one of the smaller calanques (cliff-side beaches) for which Cassis is so renowned.

Definitely recommended! Thank you Valerie and Julien!

Room Tip: book one of the 2 rooms with private terrace
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed in this charming B&B in September 2012 for three nights. I had a great stay. First, the owners very kindly picked me up from the train station in Cassis - incidentally, if you are arriving by train and the owners can't pick you up, make sure you arrange a taxi (I didn't see a taxi rank outside the stationand taxi can be hard to find in Cassis at the best of times). Walking with luggage from the train station wouldn't really be possible - it's a long way and the roads are very hilly. As soon as I arrived I was made to feel very welcome. The villa itself is beautiful, the decor is in the 'syle ancien' but there are sun loungers and even a jacuzzi outside. My room was spotless, spacious and had a stunning view of the Cap. The location is perhaps one drawback if you don't have a car - it's a decent walk uphill from the centre of Cassis, but this shouldn't deter you. The owners were very kind at all times - Valerie even dropped me into the town and picked me up afterwards. The breakfast was also very tasty. Really enjoyed my stay here overall.

Room Tip: I would advise booking the CAP room, if possible. It has stunning views of the Cap Canaille and was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

In June 2011 we stayed very comfortably at L'Escale, and in January 2012 we booked again by email for a visit in July 2012. Our reservation was confirmed by email. The day before our booking began, I telephoned M. Vonblon to confirm our time of arrival. He appeared to have no knowledge of us, and no record of our booking. We immediately emailed out correspondence to him, and instead of accepting responsibility he launched into a bad-tempered and aggressive tirade, blaming us for everything. Our charming host of the year before was totally unrecognisable, and all happy memories of our earlier stay were wiped out.

If you book a room at L'Escale, be sure to confirm THEIR confirmation, or you may be left at the last moment with nowhere to stay, and with a rude and unpleasant haranguing from your host.

Room Tip: Just make certain that your room IS booked, even if they confirm this.
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Honestly, I don't understand the negative reviews. This is a charming house. The owners are gracious. Our room was clean and very comfortable .. (we had the CAP room) and it felt bigger then most of the photos we had seen so i'll attach some photos of my own. We had no trouble parking just in front of the house the two times we needed to.
We walked down to the port and had a fabulous dinner in a smaller, back street restaurant ... and we walked back to the house. (my honest opinion here is that i should have taken a cab back ... my knee was recovering a bit from a recent twist and the walk back has a lot of up hill -). Still - would definitely stay here again.
Breakfast was fresh and filling and Valerie's husband cooked us perfect eggs and then came out with pancakes!! We ate with a fabulous view of Cap Canaille.
So thanks to L'escale. We did enjoy our stay in your lovely home.

Room Tip: The only room available when we booked was the CAP. We think we were very lucky. The room was on t...
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed L'escale. Valerie was very gracious, breakfast was perfect and ample. Our room looked out over the bay to the towering cliff of Cap Canaille. A short walk home from the town, much appreciated after wonderful dinners at restaurants recommended by Valerie. Two friendly dogs, well behaved added to the good feel of L'escale. Plus free on street parking right out front.

Room Tip: The highest room has the best view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to L'escale? Share your experiences!