“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Basel, Switzerland
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

A few years ago we went to La Sicillia and had a good lunch, this time we were disappointed by the food. Now that I read that the owner and the cook changed I understand the difference. The pizza base was more like a biscuit and the topping was so heavy on cheese that a little lake of molten fat formed in the middle...
I can not comment on the other dishes as we only had pizza, but maybe the cook should take a trip to Italy to see how an original pizza is made.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Rochefort, France
“New management needs to do better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

La Sicilia has been under new management since April 2012. The name's the same, furniture's the same, menu's mainly the same. New staff out front and in the kitchen.

Our (lone) waitress was excellent; the owner/manager (?) a bit too over-keen on putting froward both himself and his knowledge of English. The wine-list and wines (we had Haut-Poitu Sauvignon and Sicilian red) are good.-; the food less so.

The thin-base pizzas were deemed 'OK', though a little light on some of the advertised toppings. The pasta was, again, no more than 'OK'. The "escalope de veau Milanais" was bought-in, pre-prepared. It and the green salad requested were swimming in oil. The "steak-haché" (burger) requested as 'well-done' was dry and hard (ie over-done), even though it was done in haste (the waitress quickly admitted she had forgotten to order it at the same time as other main courses). On the basis of the main courses we skipped sweets and coffee - which we took elsewhere.

Previously the place has been full most nights of the week (and rightly so); when we were there it was not even half full at any time. Maybe others have had a similar experience to ours?

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Very nice. Full of locals, always a very good sign . Go you will enjoy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I travel a lot. I am not a very big fan of French food. (I like meat well cooked ) The pizza here is very nice thin base not too heavy. Nice few Italian choices on menu. If you are staying close buy I would recommend La Sicilia. I also I brought 2 friends I heard no complaints .
It is also roomy .
Should I return to Rochefort I will eat here again .

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rochefort, France
“ssiette Perigourdine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Those who chose the pizzas were well pleased. The children's menu pizza (Margareta) was delivered first (good), was just the right size, and devoured in full (pronounced excellent). The adults asked for extras - no problem (€1.00 each extra). The veggie Regina (with added capers) was "best ever". The Vivaldi (egg added) came with the perfectly cooked egg on top - "very unusual" according to our pizza "expert".

But for the none pizza players: the "assiette de jambon" was genuine Italian; the "assiette Perigourdine" (warm foie gras, smoked duck breast, terrine on duck paté) was as French as you could wish. All excellent.

Tarte tatin (warm, as Madame requested) and other sweets were up to standard; as was the wine.

The decor isn't too wonderful; but alert, friendly staff made it an address to come back to.

• 4 of 5 stars Food