“An informative journey through the Somme” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 7 Attractions in Peronne
Type: Historic Sites, Sightseeing Tours
21 attraction reviews
“An informative journey through the Somme”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I wanted/needed to visit the Somme battlefields to pay my respects to my uncle who was killed in 1918 at the age of 20. He came from small town New Zealand, from 'the uttermost ends of the earth' as it is described. I also wanted to put the war in perspective as NZ sent 120,000 soldiers from its population of only 1 million, or 42% of those of military age. Most Anzac Day emphasis is put on Gallipoli but the casualty rate on the Western Front was much higher. It would be impossible to make a battlefield pilgrimage alone or by using public transport. I eventually engaged Cobbers Battlefield Tours and on the day found myself with driver guide Brian Hoggard. Because of a late withdrawal I was the only passenger and so I had a personal chauffeur! Brian took me to all the places on my list and a number of others. Grevillers, where my uncle's memorial is, was very special but the Newfoundland memorial made a huge impact. The South African memorial was the most extensive but the British and Australian memorials were impressive in other ways. The new visitor centre at Thiepval is a 'must visit' and I wish I could have stayed longer. The way these memorials are maintained is a credit to the CWGC. A very memorable and thought provoking day. In no sense did it glorify war but it honoured those who died and raised questions about the futility of war. With Brian's knowledge, easy manner and sense of humour we accomplished all that I wanted to, and more besides.

Visited May 2013

Wagga Wagga, Australia
210 attraction reviews
“Typically rude australians!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

The last review belowme depicts why I'm embarrassed by Australians abroad so much. Using insulting phrases like Pommie shows why we are so disliked across the globe. There were only a couple of Aussies on my tour so that's probably why I enjoyed it.

Geraldton
22 attraction reviews
“Great tour, lousy weather”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had a very informative battlefield tour today with this company. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable and took us to all the sites around the Amiens area. We visited Villiers Bretonneaux, Poziers, the Somme and several other spots. He helped us trace a relative who died here in WWI. He took us to a lovely place for lunch that had Aussie soldiers names on the wall. A great day, even with lousy weather. Merci.

Visited November 2012
Newcastle, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Rude Pommie posing as Australian Tour Guide of WW1 Battlefieds”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I had only just commenced walking through the Villers-Bretonnneux war cemetery when the solemn quiet was rudely interruptered. A Pommie man, walking toward the exit with a small group of people, without being asked or greeted proceeded to tell us the Australian battlefieds guide by the Australian Matt McLaughlin was no good and we were wasting our time using it. We were stunned by this unwanted intrusion.

We noticed he proceeded to a mini van which had printed on it Cobbers Australian Battelfied Tours and decorated with Australian flags - oboviously trading on the famous Injured Australian soldier's call to a fellow Australian to not forgot to came back and rescue him!

Later in the day we were in Peronne looking at the 2nd Division memorial when we looked back across the road to see a Boxing Kangaroo flag amongst other Australiana displayed on the premises of Cobbers Battlefields Tour.

When relating our rudely interrupted experience, the next day to our Belgium Ausralian battlefields guides they knew straight of who the rude Pommie was.

We strongly recommend Matt McLachan's "Walking with the Anzacs" Guide to the Australian WW1 battlefields and our Belguim guides Christian and Annette from Camalou (tours) for a genuine experience of the magnificent achievements and huge sacrifices by Australians, often under poor Btitish leadership and without regard to the wasted lives of a generation of Australians.

If you want a tour by a rude poser then you know who to use.

John & Marietta

Visited August 2012
Adelaide, Australia
16 attraction reviews
“A Tour That Animates The World War I Battlefields”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

The WWI battlefields are a big area - both geographically and in terms of places to see - to tackle on your own if you have limited time, even if you do have a guidebook.

The small groups mean that the tours can be tailored on the day for particular interests, such as searching for a particular grave or memorial.

My guide for the day, Brian, was able to give detailed information about the areas we visited, which is important to provide meaning as in many places, there is no physical reminder of the events that occurred.

My tour included a visit to the Caterpillar Cemetery, where a great, great uncle fell in 1916, then the Thiepval Visitor's Centre and British Memorial, Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial (with preserved trenches), the Australian Museum and school at Villiers Bretonneux, the Australian Memorial - and the Red Baron's crash site!

Although I was the only one to go out this particular day (so no one to share costs with), it is well worth investing the money in a guide.

Visited October 2011

Been to Cobbers Battlefield Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Cobbers Battlefield Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.