“Second visit to Somme” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 8 Activities in Amiens
Type: Battlefields, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Jackie and Rod Bedford, both British ex military, we have for the past twelve years provided fully guided Battlefield Tours throughout Europe, we offer day tours, ideal for travellers staying in Paris, to the Battles of the Somme, Arras and Ypres, for individuals or groups. Private bespoke tours and family research also undertaken. Fully licensed and insured under French law.
Sydney, Australia
22 attraction reviews
“Second visit to Somme”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have travelled here to attend the ANZAC day Dawn Service. This has ticked one off our bucket list of must experience travel destinations. Very moving.

Visited April 2013

Croydon, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Brilliant way of teaching the children about ww1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Never thought myself or the children would be so moved by the experience. We visited the Canadian trenches and memorials too. Despite the cold weather it was a very thought provoking day. We brought a picnic and followed the poppy trail to lots of sites. Probably better for older children. Managed to trace a lost relative. Don't go to the Somme without visiting.

Visited April 2013
United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Thought provoking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

It's a very strange thing to say that you went on holiday to battlefield sites and cemeteries. One implies joy and the other, well, not joyful at all. But I think travel is also about thinking, and the Great War sites really does bring that experience closer. I have watched many a documentary about the Great War. No doubt, there will be more with 2014 being the hundred year anniversary of its start. Being on site, on the location of the battlefields, imagining past the green and lush undulating hills that this was once a scene of churned earth, constant bombing noise, death and destruction, as the silent breeze blows past hundreds and hundreds of stone white headstones, one cannot but feel the sadness for these long dead soldiers and the families who lost them. A definite must visit is the NewFoundland Memorial at Beaumont-Hamel, where remnants of trenches remain, including No Man's Land.

Visited March 2013
Sèvres, Ile-de-France, France
“memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I took a spontaneous trip to see the Somme battlefields because my year studying the First World War made me want to know more. I was hesitant about the price (being on a tight budget) but reading the other reviews, I went for it. And I am so glad I did. Spending the day with Ron on the battlefields and at the memorials is an experience I will not be forgetting in a hurry. He had a wealth of knowledge which helped place the battles in the bigger picture of the war, as well as give specific details about the forces and even individual soldiers. Seeing the trenches on the old maps and relating them to the landscape I was standing in was something I could never have done with a textbook. My favourite part was visiting Villers-Bretonneux and hearing about the connection of this village with Australia, my home country. It was a very sombre, but very memorable experience and to top it off, they were lovely about my last minute changes. The tour has my highest recommendation.

Visited March 2013
“I treated myself and it was worth every cent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I spent a day with Jackie touring the Somme in her Rover with heated seats (a bitterly cold day). My prior knowledge was non-existent but I gave her my grandfathers name and she did the rest. She took me round to all the places he had been, and more, following old maps from 1916 on her iPad.

Full of facts, interesting tales and humorous anecdotes, Jackie was friendly, helpful and easygoing. I cannot recommend her highly enough.

This tour was expensive for me, but not having a car in France, or the time for research, I treated myself. Worth every penny. The day continues to stay with me and has inspired me to find out more. Very memorable, thank you!