“ok hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mercure Mont Saint Michel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mercure Mont Saint Michel to your Saves list
Hotel Mercure Mont Saint Michel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route du Mont Saint Michel | BP 8, 50170 Mont-St-Michel, France   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Mont-St-Michel
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
“ok hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for a night in Sept 2012.

Pros:
1. Location is quite good. Just opposite to a supermarket and a cafe where you can buy souvenirs or have a cup of drink or sandwiches. Can access to the entrance of the wall outside the Mont by bus, and the bus station isn't far away, can access quite easily on foot.
2. Room size is ok. It's big compared with rooms in Paris in general.
3. We stayed on the ground floor. Luckily not noisy during my stay.
4. The room is clean, although seeing mosquito sometimes.

Cons:
1. Breakfast is below average. Limited choices and not really tasteful. Luckily it's complimentary.
2. The attitude of staff in front desk vary: we asked for information about bus/ Mont St. Michel for several occasions. Some of their attitude were friendly but some looked impatient.
3. Style of the hotel is a bit dated.

In short, the hotel is ok overall but if I visit MSM again in future, I may try other hotels.

Room Tip: As the hotel has no escalator, travellers may request ground floor upon check in.
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Thai first
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Mercure Mont Saint Michel in October 2012. The only reason to stay here is to be on the Mont St. Michel side of the new barrier to make going back and forth to the mont extremely easy (we had no problems night and day walking or using the buses - I do recommend bringing a flashlight/torch or camping headlamp though). The bed was also incredibly comfortable. Everything else was terrible. My guess is that this was a roadside motel that the Mercure bought and threw a room over. At least that would explain the lack of elevators, the rickety wooden stairs indoors (they were a real safety concern for us), and the fact that the toilet has an old window facing what is now the inside of the hotel. The worst for us was that the supposedly non-smoking room absolutely stunk. I could actually taste the smoke smell it was so bad. The other problem is noise. There shouldn't be any given the location, but this place seems to be made for tour groups so before sun-up we were treated to the thud of suitcases being thrown into the bus and just after sun-up bus horns blaring, I assume to get the tour groups going. It was a jarring way to start the day.
As terrible as this place was, I would probably stay there again for the location alone. I would just significantly lower my expectations about the comfort level of our stay.

Enjoy the amazing Mont St. Michel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our one night stay at this hotel proved to be a great choice. The accommodation was reasonably priced, rooms have AC and WiFi, comfortable beds and adequate bathrooms. Buffet breakfast was included and excellent.

A word of warning for those driving to the village - contact the hotel before you arrive and request the code for the boom gate entry. It will cost €1.50 but gives you direct access to the hotel and their onsite parking facility.

We found that food at the restaurants close to the hotel is poor. Take the free coach to the Abbey instead and enjoy one of the restaurants inside the old walls. Lots of choice and much better quality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
long island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I thought that this hotel was one of the true bargains on our 17 day France trip. We paid 116 euro. Dominique ( I hope that I have the name correctly) advised us of their policy of free breakfast at the Pre-Sale restaurant next door for people over 60 years old. This was our only room in France where wifi worked perfectly. The only negative was the lack of elevators,but considering the price and location--I think that it merits the 5 stars.
We stayed on a Wednesday, Sept. 26 and found no problems with crowds in the afternoon or evening--we loved it so much we went to the abbey at 3:00, later ate dinner next door at Pre-Sale (quite good considering the site) and revisited the island about 20:00 at night (b.t.w.--they all seem to use the military clock). The shuttle buses run to 1:00.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
guernsey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

BEWARE!! anyone, like me, who has been to Mont St Michel before the end of April 2012, be prepared for a big shock. The area of hotels restaurants and shops that the Mercure is part of now resembles an open prison with a key code operated barrier to enter and leave the compound with your car. It would have been hugely useful if the hotel could have emailed me my entry access code in advance and an explanation of how it operates but it got us off to a very irritated start. The Keeper of the barrier said we had to phone the hotel for our code. I can't fault the hotel from here as I spoke to a very helpful lady who gave me my access code which "Mons le barriere" keyed in for us. It did mean I had to make a roaming phone call which I will have to pay for. In addition to this the code is for one lift of the barrier only and we were charged €1.50 for it so in my mind means that parking at the hotel is technically no longer free. Also beware, if you stay here and decide to go for a drive you will have to pay €1.50 every trip through the barrier and need a new code before you do. We also had huge satnav problems with the new road layout around the massive new car park which is inland from the hotel now. That could just be old map issues I suppose but it is a very new complex.
On the good side, this total ban on all traffic except for coaches and shuttles means the area inside the barrier and the trip to the mont itself is now much quieter than it ever used to be. Free shuttles depart only 200m from the hotel if you don't want the 30min stroll over the old causeway. You cannot now take your car and park at the foot of the mount. I say old, because that too is changing. They are building a new bridge and shuttle dock to the right of the exising one. The old causeway will then be ripped up and the river will be diverted to flow past the mount and under the bridge, turning it into an island once more.
The hotel itself was faultless and their restaurant next door was excellent. The salt marsh lamb is to be recommended. Great for a one/two night stay but don't stay here now if you want to tour out and about with a car because of the access code issues.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed one night at this property and were very pleased with out accommodations. The room is large (for France) and well appointed. The bed was comfortable. Climate control worked well. Parking was free. Amenities provided were standard Mercure and barely adequate. I did not like that our room opened to the exterior. Breakfast was included and quite adequate. The associated restaurant is very good (better than any one on the island).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Hotel was clean, with good restaurant and a great location. However after a long days drive to get there and arriving at midnight, the fact that there was no staff to assist with the unloading 8 large suitcases and to take them to our respective 2nd floor rooms was rather a shock considering this was a 4 star hotel!!! But to add insult to injury this rather new hotel did not even have an elevator to help get our luggage to our rooms!!!

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Mercure Mont Saint Michel? Share your experiences!