“Good for a lunch” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
UK
“Good for a lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were exploring the walled town and came upon this restaurant in Rue de Lille. There were six of us and we sat outside, looking down the street towards the city wall. Nice lively location to eat, with the motor train passing by every so often. Two Salade Nicoise, an omelette, Spaghetti Saumon, Entrecote Grillee and a Vegetarian Pizza were all very acceptable. Service leisurely as it was late lunchtime, and the waitress went home after serving us, but we had no problems - just good to sit with a drink and watch the world go by. Bill came to 86 euros for the six of us, all in. I'd not quibble with that.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Poor service,sad food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Very surly waitress,and despite for our steaks 'a point',ie medium rare,they came out grey. Surly waitress grumpily agreed to change them,final result ok but not good. No apology. Long wait for desert.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Don't go through the door”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We ended up eating here when we found that the restaurant we wanted to visit in the same street was closed. I can’t overstate how poor an experience it was.
Our order was taken by what I can only describe as the surliest waitress I have ever encountered. She begrudgingly took our order (which included a bottle of wine, so we were spending quite a bit) all the time giving the impression that we were more of an annoyance than welcome trade.
Our starters were delivered in silence. My "green salad" turned out to be a few chunks of cucumber and several leaves of yellowed lettuce with slimy edges, all swamped in a overpowering dressing. I gave up with this and shared my husband’s mussels instead. We weren’t given any wipes or water for our hands so I went to the bathroom to wash my hands after the mussels. I really wished I hadn’t. The toilet was blocked and overflowing, the urinal in the shared hand wash area was encased in paper towels to stop it being used (so presumably also out of order) and a metal bucket stood in the middle of the floor containing grey-brown water and a string mop that appeared to have been ineffectively used on the floor. The tiny corner hand wash basin was blocked and full of water so as soon as the push button tap was used it too overflowed. There was no soap or cleanser. I backed out, returned to our table and reached for my hand sanitising gel. I wish at this point we had just left, however our main courses arrived. What appalling food. My husbands steak consisted of random sized pieces of curled, hardened and dry meat. My “roast” chicken was anaemic and sitting in a pool of yellow fat. Both dishes were accompanied by greasy, soggy chips and more of the limp yellow lettuce. We each took two mouthfuls and decided we’d had enough. We got the bill, paid and walked out. Nobody questioned why we hadn’t eaten the food or why we were leaving before having any dessert (which we’d paid for as part of a menu). If my French had been better I would have complained and challenged the bill but to be honest we just wanted to leave.

This was more than a bad meal – it was a distressing experience. What had started out as a celebratory birthday meal turned out to be anything but and with offensive service thrown in. My advice to anyone tempted - don’t go near the place.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Disapointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

On july the 14th we as we have done in the past, had a run in two mini buses over to Boulogne for the festival of the sea. A nice overall day out. In the past a group of us always went to this restaurant had a good meal worth the money. This year despite a large number of our friends going elsewhere because of poor reports, we decided to try a known winner. Mistake. The girls were very young with one who would appear to be ok one was very grubby and one very young. The boss was still there. 8 of us sat down to lunch and we all had poor comments on the food and service. My main meal was returned as being un-edible after a poor starter and was returned part freshly cooked and still not edible. For our table of four we paid in excess of 120 euros. I never argue as the difference in language makes it very hard. I will not be going back there again. Shame. Now we need to look elsewhere.
The loo is very basic as well I forgot this item. It has caused offence in the past.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Basic simple restaurant at a decent price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is well situated in the Old Town.The staff are pleasant and accommodating.The problem is that there seems to be a lack of attention to detail,for example there was no condiment tray or finger wipes supplied with one of the orders for mussels.The food was average and really quite tasteless barely acceptable .The price fair but not value for money.Would go again,but only if all the restaurants near it were closed.

Visited May 2013