“Extremely disappointing.” 1 of 5 stars

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Extremely disappointing.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Overall extremely disappointing.
The hotel does not come anywhere near to living up to its website profile. The ONLY good points about "Le MeJean" were the hot water was hot, the Internet connection was good and the staff were friendly. Warnings first started when I contacted the hotel regarding its complimentary airport shuttle. In spite of several attempts no confirmation was received and there was no airport shuttle on arrival. A taxi cost me 16 euros. When I enquired at reception I was just given a dismissive response.
The reception appears to be staffed by whoever happens to be available at the time. Whilst one may understand that being off-season the swimming pool was closed, the hotel generally has an unkempt air. Being a self-employed business person, I always consider if an establishment gives value for money. By comparison, for what “Le MeJean” provided, I would have paid less than half the price "Le MeJean" charged for similar in the North West of England. But there again I would never knowingly book into such a "cheap" hotel.
The first room allocated was so depressing I refused to stay in it. Another Trip Advisor contributor has published picture. My eventual room was almost cell-like with door-sized style window, with near view overlooking air-conditioning extractors. Room furniture is so basic that even UK social services would not allocate it to anyone. I stayed for 12 nights and in that time, even though I asked, the bed sheets were never changed and I resorted to washing the pillow cases myself. I was concerned about health and hygiene as the pillows has no protectors and cases were very thin. The bed and bed linen, as with furniture is very poor quality. The bathroom is adequate provided you accept that it is extremely small. I ended-up staying longer than I would have wished because it turned out that the better hotels in Montpellier were full. The rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the main highway and there is traffic noise and at night music from a nearby disco can be heard until the early hours. The hotel ambience did not inculcate a feeling of security so felt it necessary to keep my passport and important belongings with me all the time.
Unless you are desperate I would not recommend this hotel. It is not good value for money and falls way below any reasonable expectations.

Room Tip: Choose room at front as no road noise. Three rooms ONLY have access to outside balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I wasn't expecting much for a hotel at this price so close the the airport, but I was hoping that at least the room wouldn't smell so smoky. I asked if we could switch to a non-smoking room, but was told that all the rooms were non-smoking and the fellow working at the front went to our room with a can of air freshener and suggested that we stay out of the room for a while to let the strong smell relax. The air freshener smelled terrible and once it dissipated we were back to the smoke smell. The main problem with this is that any clothing one has left out of the luggage will smell terrible the next day. Besides this, the room was fine. The room was clean and water pressure in the shower very good. Unfortunately, WIFI did not work in the room, only in the lobby downstairs. By the way, I felt like the size of the room was fine - small, but adequate for a stop-over stay. There were 2 beds, a desk, luggage rack, and small closet.
The airport shuttle must be reserved in advance, and the night before I attempted to schedule at 9am for our 10:30 departure, but I was told that 9:30 would be fine as the airport was only minutes away. So at 9:25 we arrived downstairs and informed the desk that we had a shuttle reserved. The woman at the desk yelled over to another woman who was to drive the shuttle. We didn't leave until 9:45 and I was getting nervous. I'd gone inside twice to check on the shuttle only to find the driver behind the bar drying glasses, and she'd say she was coming, just a minute...While everyone in the establishment was very friendly, including the driver, this was just too stressful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've been there on july 2013, one night only. It's awful. The first room they gave me was dirty and really smelt smoke . We changed the room and the new one was a little bit cleaner. I know it's a two star hotel but at least the rooms must be kept clean. I made the reservation via Internet , I paid by credit card and two weeks later they charged me the payment again..they said I've never been there but unfortunately I did.. please don't throw away the receipt :)!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at Le Mejean a few days ago after a looong trip. First, the room was disgusting- it stank of cigarette smoke and looked as though it had never been vacuumed. What was worse, however, were the corrupt workers. Upon arrival, the clerk insisted that I pay a "tax". I showed him my paper which showed that I had paid the "tax". In the morning, I was BULLIED by the other clerk into paying a tax for absolutely nothing. This is just corrupt and immoral. I was quite disgusted by the dirtiness and bullying. If this place were cleaned up, it would be lovely. Minus five stars. Horrible experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Maryland, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was looking for an inexpensive hotel that had a free shuttle bus to the Montpellier Airport. I finally concluded that Hotel le Méjean was our best choice, but went there with a certain amount of fear and trepidation, because so many of the reviews I had read were not overly enthusiastic.

OK, this hotel is not elegant or luxurious, but the bathrooms were new and spotlessly clean. The carpeting on the floor was obviously old, but the beds were very comfortable, and the sheets wonderfully soft and smooth - AND,along with the free shuttle to the airport, they had an elevator and free wifi! We felt that the value for money spent was wonderful!

The staff members were very friendly and helpful, and we had a very nice dinner in the hotel restaurant. Would I stay there again if I needed a hotel with a shuttle to the Montpellier airport? Definitely!

Room Tip: I requested a room in the quieter part of the hotel, leaving it up to them to choose the room. They...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Le Mejean? Share your experiences!