“Room for improvement.” 4 of 5 stars

Shopping Spree Package
Angera, Italy
“Room for improvement.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed there three nights for work. The hotel is nicely set up, with wifi throughout the hotel. Underground parking and a nice gym. Lifts are room card controlled so only residents can use the lifts. Nice lobby/bar and reasonably good restaurant. Breakfast is really good with a large choice of about everything. Reception staff very friendly and helpful, as are the rest of the staff.

However;
the rooms are not exactly what I would call soundproof. All trolley bags, laundry carts etc. that passed in my corridor or the one of the floor above, are clearly audible. The bathtub was damaged, had a big rust stain in it. The chair at the desk was falling apart, I had to stick it back together more than once during my stay. Not what you would expect for a hotel of that price.
Which brought me to the main problem I had with the Hotel:

Everything is charged extra. -24 hrs. internet? 19 Euros. -Mini-bar is empty, but we can stock it, just ask for our deals at reception. -TV has international channels from all over the world, try to watch one (other than BBC or CNN) you have to buy a TV package. Parking overnight costs money, and prices in general are steap. There is a little 'shop' where you can buy prepacked sandwiches and soft drinks/snacks: 8,50 for a pepsi and a (dry) sandwich. 7-8 Euros for a glass of wine in the bar. Room service: 5 Euro tray charge.. The only thing you get for free are the smiles at the reception when they hand you your key on check in and the bill on checkout. Not even a complementary bottle of water on your room.

Also after the first night I was in my room until about noon with the do not disturb sign on the door. Then I left and got back to my room at about nine in the evening to find they did not bother to clean the room. So the next day when I went for breakfast I asked the cleaners to do my room straight away, which the did. But it is not something I'd expect to need to organize myself.

Overall I had a good stay though, the friendly staff compensate a lot. And it does has a nice feel to it, but it lacks real (free) service and eye for detail.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Central Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This property is noisy and sterile even by the standards of travellers who are heavy users of domestic and international Marriotts. Front desk staff was first rate and efficient, as was the concierge and shuttle service the following morning. Less pleasant was the outside noise seeping through poor fitting windows; restaurant service that involved a succession of wait staff (we lost count at 6) who tag-teamed service; and food that was excruciatingly un-French despite haute cuisine descriptions and high prices that ended with an overt solicitation for a tip "because they don't pay us". The same thing happened the following morning, although there was no request for a tip but rather a small fire from the cooking area. (At dinner the restaurant manager stood aloof as clients sought help; at breakfast, the manager looked on in disinterest as customers and staff were first transfixed then took steps to put out the fire; she evidently thought she was a judge at a war games exercise.) Then there was the caravan of Eastern European "entrepeneurs" with female companions who wandered through the restaurant. Admittedly, the room prices were not out of line with international airport hotel prices, and the clientele and wait staff could have been amusing -- both were certianly memorable -- but somehow it didn't match the normal decorum of other international Marriotts.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am Marriott Rewards Gold Elite. Maybe my experience was not the norm, but I had a negative experience with the front desk at check in. I had a confirmed reservation for a King bed, non-smoking for 1-night at the CDG Marriott. I arrived late at night, and upon arrival, the man who handled my check in said only rooms with double beds on lower floors were available. 1-night, no big deal, I took the key and went to my room on the 2nd fl. The room was "worn" and the mattresses on both beds concave. I went downstairs to eat dinner, and on my way back to my room 11:45 p.m. I stopped and spoke with a different front desk clerk about my room. She confirmed my reservation for King bed in the system, and said that king beds ARE available on the Executive floor (4th Fl). I asked why I was not assigned one of these rooms at check in? At this point, the man who handled my check-in (standing right next to this young lady) quickly walked away to the back area.

She offered to let me "upgrade" to this room, but I was so tired and aggrevated that I declined. Needless to say, I did not get any rest on the hammock of a matress in my room. The bathroom had broke floor tile and mold in the shower. I should have changed rooms when I had the chance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Provo, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have stayed at this Marriott several times and now have lost one of its best features -- the executive lounge. Bus service from the airport is taking longer. We waited for 45 minutes before being picked up at the airport and the hotel is the near the last stop on the line adding another 25 minutes. The next day coming back into Charles de Gaul by train/metro we just took a taxi which takes about 10 minutes. Service in the restaurant is average for France however there was a convention there durning our stay with participants seated at large tables; we were "sandwiched" in between along with others at small tables. The noise was so loud that as a couple we couldn't visit. We got up, left and ordered room service. The people at the front desk hustle and service is generally prompt and always courteous. The best part for us was the real queen-size bed with wonderful matress and pillows as well as being back in a "land of ice" (ice machine just down the hall) and adequated air conditioning. WiFi is also available. The town itself (Roissy) apears to be a bedroom community with multiple hotels. There is little other activity within walking distance. It remains an average hotel experience with a good, dependable location before flying out of the distant and unpredictable Charles de Gaul Airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The shuttle took 45 mins to take us to our hotel, we were the last stop which took forever. We were given a king bed and the room was nice but the bathroom was for a person in a wheel chair i believe because the toilet was so tall and the shower was the most bizarre thing ever. We were only here one night since we flew out in the morning but for some reason the room creeped us out and we were on the ground floor. We would stay here again but would ask for a normal room.

Room Tip: Don't get king bed ground floor room. could hardly shower because the shower was so weird.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Olney, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I would like to give this good-looking property a higher rating. The staff certainly was nice and efficient, even though I got the sense one woman behind the counter would have preferred my wife and I stay and eat there, instead of in the nearby village. But this is a very expensive place for what you get. The rooms are clean and bright, not amazing. The lobby is beautiful, and we had a very pricey lunch there, with a wine that clearly cost much more than it was worth. By evening, I decided to wander across the pretty little park next door to the village of Roissy-en-France--a five minute transformation from commercial airport hotels to a lovely French community where there are some restaurants and cafes, and a cozy little neighborhood store where you can buy produce, cheeses, wines and other groceries at basic prices. The shuttle to the airport worked well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Breckenridge, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

On our second trip through CDG on the way to Amsterdam we decided to try the Marriott restaurant, after being ignored in the Mercure. We initially stopped in the bar where we received great service and good wine, at only a bit more than non-airport locations. We moved into the restaurant, which at 7pm was mostly empty and were seated by Yann the maitre-de hotel at a table of our choice overlooking the courtyard. We ordered the reasonably priced 35euro fixed-prix menu which started with a lovely salad including tomatoes that had been blanched, pealed and chilled. Then the restaurant suddenly filled up and the staff struggled to keep up. Our two dishes of venison and duck were beautifully present with a deep rich sauces but unfortunately warm not hot even though the plates were very hot, indicating to me that the food had cooled before being plated. By then the restaurant was full and the customers were not being fed.

However, Yann was doing everything he could to satisfy the diners, and adjusted our bill to compensate for the delays. So- despite the problems, the staff was friendly and trying hard, the quality of the food excellent, and the flavors as good as anything we have had in France over the last month. If you are stuck in CDG drop in and give them a try. In spite of the problems of one evening they are a step above the dry duck and fries elsewhere in town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!