“lovely friendly place and very good vfm” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   15 Main Road, Glaston LE15 9BP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Glaston B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salford, United Kingdom
“lovely friendly place and very good vfm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The room was perfectly fine and the bed comfortable. The dinner menu was limited but the food hearty and well cooked. The staff were friendly and helpful. we really enjoyed sitting in the bar by the fire for a few hours in such a hospitable setting.

It's a great place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We called in on a Tuesday lunchtime for a drink and a light lunch. There was a notice on the door saying it had re-opened the day before. We walked into the bar through a group of staff standing chatting and when someone eventually came to speak to us and we asked about food available, they had to go and ask whether they were doing any. Upon further questions such as what kind of soup etc they had to go and find out again. No-one really seemed sure. Then we were told there was no beers on tap. This was the final straw and we left.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I arrived Tuesday 12th of feb to find that the hotel has been taken over. The last owner managed to take everything that was not screwed down and i felt sorry for the new owners. How ever after speaking to the management i'm happy to conclude that the new owners along with new manager Paul Jeynes have some exciting ideas. New menus along with cheaper ales is the way to go and to give the pub back to the locals. Great idea i thought apart from the fact they will need more than just the locals to keep that huge place going. All in all a great night good food a reasonably priced room and they are going to be giving corporate rates. I will be coming back most definitely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
north wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed for two nights and for the price one shouldn't complain. We walked in wth no booking and were charged £49.50 per night for the room plus £6.50 each for breakfast. The bathroom was smart and modern but my husband had problems with the shower. The bedroom carpet looked tired and I agree with reviewer Jaquelyn A that the matresses are not very comfortable. Having said that I liked having local magazines in the room along with decent sized mugs for tea and coffee. The room was plenty big enough, warm, clean and had a huge built in wardrobe. Although room faced A47 we were not disturbed by traffic.
Sunday morning breakfast was OK although we are not fans of hashbrowns. On Monday we came down at 8.05 to find the place hadn't been unlocked. We back to our room and emerged at 8.15 to be told 'It's continental breakfast this morning, the chef hasn't turned up'. No apology or adjustment to the bill and when we checked out no conversation not even a goodbye. Left feeling that they hadn't expected anyone to stay Sun-Mon and we had put them out.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed there last weekend Nov. 2012. They were going to offer me a single room but I had booked a double room. They changed me over. The room had an undiscernible smell to it which I didn't take much notice of and went downstairs. They then lit the woodburner and was sat in a plume of black smoke . Went for dinner which I sent back - Lamb Shank, still frozen. Rhubarb crumble, crumble literally like hard stones which I had to put on side of plate. Went back up to room later. Had to leave window open due to smell. I thought it might be paint but wasn't sure. Couldn't change room as fully booked. Next morning I had an asthma attack due to paint fumes which had accumulated overnight. Still ill a week later with asthma. They had glossed the doorways two days before. All in all a bad experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Well, there were a few less-pleasant reviews about the Mouldy Ferret (Sorry - The Old Pheasant) in Glaston but we were very happy.
The room wasn't huge, but certainly big enough, it was clean and tidy. I agree it wasn't of the latest decor, but that's being addressed room by room and having paid £34.50 for two of us there really wasn't reason to complain. I would much rather be somewhere a little less salubrious than somewhere I'm scared to walk on the floor.
Breakfast was lovely and "proper" and tea and toast replenished without a problem. (Always the same - the toast comes with your meal and some of it goes cold. I like warm toast with marmalade *after* my meal. Not that I'm fussy or anything?) Really nice sausages and thick bacon.
The staff were really helpful, both waitresses at breakfast were delightful. Chef/owner looked like he needed time to draw breath, but always pleasant even if rushed.
The evening meal was very nice homely food. Nothing fancy just good and wholesome. We have spent a day walking through a forest with owls so we were ready for a "sensible" dinner and it didn't disappoint.
I have to dig deep to find criticism, but I will say that a mattress topper would have been good as the mattress was a little uncomfy, and better loo roll ;-)

Room Tip: I think downstairs rooms have been refurbished. The weeknight restaurant specials are great value. I...