“Not a Positive Experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Chateau de Versailles

You added Novotel Chateau de Versailles to your Saves list
Novotel Chateau de Versailles
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 blvd St Antoine | BP 88 Cedex, 78150 Le Chesnay, Versailles, France   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Le Chesnay
Leesburg, Virginia
“Not a Positive Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We’ve stayed in several Novotel properties, our experience with this one was the worst of the lot. Upon arrival we were hungry and asked the young man at the front desk where we could grab a casual lunch, he suggested several fast food restaurants located just a 5 to 10 minute walk away, and gave us a map. It turned out it was more like a brisk 45-minute hike, which left us exhausted by the time we got back to the hotel. Lesson 1: Versailles is HUGE what might look like a short distance on the map, can be quite a hike.

When we got back to the hotel, I collapsed into the coach, which looked the same as the other Novotel coaches we had seen on our trip. My elbow dropped on to the armrest only to discover that they had nothing more than a bit of cloth covering the hide-a-bed mechanism. The impact injured my elbow, necessitating a trip to the clinic, a splint, meds, and generally reducing enjoyment of the rest of the trim (recovery time 3 weeks). After looking into this, I determined that other Novotel hotels had added a layer of padding onto their coachs, no doubt to prevent such accidents. Lesson 2: Don’t assume all things Novotel are as safe as others.

The hotel has parking just a quick left turn from the lobby, unfortunately, it’s on a one way street making left turns illegal. Getting to the parking requires driving around an enormous block, though it is right turns all the way. Getting into the parking lot requires pressing an intercom and asking for the gate to be opened and then quikly driving in. Unfortunately, the intercom is located far from the gate down a steep winding driveway. I had to try three times before I could get my car through the gate before it closed again. Lesson 3: Be prepared to race in/out through the gate after asking for it to open.

The hotel helpfully has a loading/unloading zone right in front of the lobby where cars can stop. Unfortunately, they allow people to long term park in the space, so their was no where to legally stop to unload for check in. We had to double park. Lesson 4: Illegal parking is a way of life at this place.

If I were to return to Versailles I would choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: Beware the unpadded arms of couch.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BONOMOJ, General Manager at Novotel Chateau de Versailles, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you got lost in Versailles. Versailles is quite big; this is why we give maps to guests. You got injured by collapsing on the sofa. I will see what we can do to make it softer. To secure the parking, getting into the parking lot requires pressing an intercom and asking for the gate to be opened and then driving in. The intercom is located at the top of the ramp, so that cars can cross easily. The door remain open 20 seconds, it is usually enough to pass.
I am sorry that you meet all this problems during your stay, and I do hope that in spite of these issues you will still be a Novotel client.

J.BONOMO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Family stay last August (3 adults) in 2 double rooms. We wanted to see the Palace so we stayed at the hotel for just 2 nights.

It is a bit old and tired and the one particular thing I hated was the smelly cushions on the bed, not nice and no excuse.

The staff were pleasant and helpful. We had 2 superior double rooms which included tea/coffee maker plus mini-bar and a double bed and sofa bed plus the usual satellite tv and free wifi. The rooms were of good size and additional pillows were available. Windows of old style so you could open them right out. We faced over the back of the hotel towards a private road with flats (nice quality).

Lovely walk to the palace and there is a shop near the hotel (across the road from the main entrance) and it is open until late as is a small bistro. Buses also from this location to the palace etc.

The Palace is vast but lots of queing and so on but very impressive.

I didn't like the food at dinner at the hotel at all I'm afraid. The steaks were not of good quality or cooked to my standards. Prices too high for what is available. Breakfast is fine though nip down early to avoid the rush.

In spite of the downs I generally liked the hotel, the parking on site is good although there is no lift to take your bags up!

You pays your money......

Room Tip: They do have some smoking rooms at the back.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BONOMOJ, General Manager at Novotel Chateau de Versailles, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay in Versailles last year. I am disappointed that you did not totally enjoy your stay with us and I shared all your comments with our teams. I read your comments carefully and took good notice of them, it is always constructive for us to have the feedback of our guests and we appreciate you took the time to give it.

Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Staff friendly and helpful, car park reasonably priced, good choice of hot and cold food for breakfast. Rooms average standard, hotel located a good 20 minute walk from palace of Versailles but fine if like us you don't mind a walk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Novotel Chateau de Versailles and thank you for your nice comment. The castle is 1.5 km (1 mile) away from the hotel and the way, surrounded by trees, that leads to the castle is usually appreciated by our clients.

We hope to welcome you again for your next stay in Versailles or Paris.

Oz In Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We (2 adults and 2 children) stayed in the hotel for a night, visiting Versailles palace. The hotel is conveniently located within 10 minutes walk to the palace. The room was quiet and clean. The staff is helpful and friendly. The breakfast was good. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your family trip at Novotel Chateau de Versailles. The cleanliness, the proximity of the Palace of Versailles, and our friendly staff are indeed our strengths. We are happy for having coming up to your expectations. We would be glad to welcome you again for your next stay.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have been in a lot of novotels in my time and this was one of the nicest. The reception and dining area looked as if they were from a far more expensive hotel and the exterior architecture fitted in harmoniously with the Versailles buildings. Although the address is Le Chesnay it is actually quite central and a 15 minute walk down a beautiful boulevard takes you to the gates of the chateau. I noticed another english speaking customer had a problem with the "2 single beds" advertized. I know that novotel family rooms usually have a double and a sofa bed and was looking forward to a different type of room with 2 single beds in it. However it was the usual double and a sofa bed, a single one in our case as we were only 3. It wasn't really a problem as the room was very comfortable but it was just the usual novotel room and would have been squashed for 4. Staff were helpful and the breakfast was excellent, really fresh. As we travelled on the weekend we could park free in the road but there is no free carpark at the novotel, only a paid underground one. The main reason why I have given 4 rather than 5 stars is that the lift was really noisy and woke us up in the morning. Looking through other reviews I think this was probably just our room, so I would recommend future guests to ask for a room as far from the lift as possible.

Room Tip: Ask for one far from the lift
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Novotel Chateau de Versailles and for your nice comments. We are very proud that Novotel Chateau de Versailles is your favorite Novotel! I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the quality of the services provided by our hotel. I forwarded your remark about the lift to our technical department.

Waiting for the pleasure of your next visit,

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hotel is excellent and we have stayed here many times before. However, whereas in summer the rooms are pleasantly air-conditioned, in winter, it was over-warm, and we were unable to get the a/c system to cool it. Opening the window controlled the temperature but allowed in a lot of traffic noise from the big roundabout nearby. We would advise a room at the rear of the hotel, and a check that the fan system is actually working. In every other respect (including helpful staff and a very pleasant welcome) it was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Room was not cleaned the first day (I arrived at 3h00 am), but as compensation the hotel management gave me a discount on my room-rate. Hotel employees were very attentive. I would say that this hotel has a service-level clearly above the average!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Been to Novotel Chateau de Versailles? Share your experiences!