“Cheap and clean” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bagnolet
Tromso, Norway
“Cheap and clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

A very clean hotel. It is a bit on the outskirts of Paris, about 30 min. walk to the Eiffel Tower.
The staff manges english, but never smiles. The doormen looked like they had been to a funeral.
There are some good restaurants just 2 min. walk out of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Recently, Oct/2013, in a tour through Europe, the Tour company, Special Tour, select this hotel for our three day stay in Paris. The entire group commented with the tour company representative about the horrible condition of this hotel. In addition the hotel was far from the main Paris attraction. In our case we have no choice otherwise we had leaved the place immediately.

Room Tip: Go to other place..
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Such a lovely hotel bar staff were nice ideal location 2min walk to bus stops and metro. Found metro excellent value for money as can get anywhere in paris for €1.70 absolute bargain. There's a nice pastry shop inside a.shopping centre near hotel you can get a lovely milky latte mad a pain au choc for less than €4 One of the most beautiful places we went to was a town called OPERA It was like 9 stops on the met full of bars and shops lots of fun
Bagnolet is a bit... well... it's alright I did not see any "crack dens" as some reviews say but it's a bit rough I caught someone with there hand in my handbag lucky for me I caught him before he took anything and it was broad daylight on a busy street.
You get that behaviour where ever you go I didn't let it spoil my break and had a lovely time

My goodness our room was boiling we stayed on the 9th floor it was so warm that's my only quibble
Have a lovely time if you do stay here you won't be disappointed :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed here as I wanted a larger room. And following my experience in an Ibis within Paris, I decided to stay outside of Paris to get a larger room and a lower price. I did get an excellent deal through lastminute, so to start with, I feel like I got good value for money.

The room was fine. A good size for Paris and comfortable beds. I was a little disappointed that it didn't look like the photo when booking but not enough to complain. I was supposed to have an oversize room with sofa - we had a standard twin room. Decor was nothing to write home about, but that's always a plus and not a necessity for me.

Bathroom was functional. Separate toilet - doesn't bother me, some people don't like this.

Mini-bar empty. Perhaps due to the fact that I pre-paid for the room.

We used the bar in the lobby - a bit pricey but a nice and cosy environment. The lobby area certainly was up to the standard of a 4 star hotel. Shame the rooms were not.

Easy to get into Paris - as I knew when booking. A few minutes walk to the metro station and bus stop outside the hotel.

My main concern: the temperature of the room. It was very hot in the room. I did complain to reception about this and the fact that the sink in the bathroom was blocked. They explained that Paris was warmer that usual for January (around 14 degrees high, 5 low) and they had the winter setting applied. Apparently, lots of people had already complained. My sink was unblocked - fixed quickly. However, the temperature remained an issue and it degraded the sleep quality. I don't understand why the hotel just couldn't change their temperature settings if lots of people were complaining.

In any case, the hotel is fine if you get a good deal and you're happy to stay outside of Paris. Expect a 3 star and you'll be happy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I was there for 6 nights with my girlfriend for the new year. We booked the hotel about 5 months in advance. So for the price that we paid I would say it was ok and I wouldn't complain. We paid around 300 euros each without any breakfast or meals.

Pros:
1) Its a 3 minute walk to the subway "Gallieni". From there you can get to the city center in 20 minutes. (Its a bit long I would say)
2) The Hotel is big, Lobby looks good, the staff are professionals, the rooms are clean.
3) Free water in the refrigerator and at the gym.
4)Nice bathroom and shower with good water pressure and is always warm.

Cons:
1) Gym is really small and there is steam sauna in the gym. That means if you are running and someone is using the sauna, the whole room is gonna be fulled with steam and its humid.
2) The gym closes at 21:30 at weekend and during the week at 20:00!!!
3) The food is bad. I would not recommend it.
4) Wlan is free but they say that every 6 hours you should login again which would be ok. But practically you get kicked out every 20 minutes. And you have to enter the whole email and password thing again and again, which was really frustrating.
5) The location is really bad. All around the hotel there are trash bags and dirty old dumped furnitures. Its like the hotel do not care about how their hotel and their location look like.
6) Our room was next to the staff room. So every day from 9 in the morning we heard loud noises and bumpings on the walls. The walls are very thin. We could not get a relax sleep.

Room Tip: Never rent a room which is next to the staff room or cleaning room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My mother came over from the United States, so I decided to take her to Paris. Although not in the city center of Paris because that tends to be a little bit more pricey (a lot actually), I decided to stay in this hotel. Do not listen to the negatives of this place, as people have different experiences! There is a bus stop across the street from the hotel that takes you right into the city. From the airport you can take the 351 Gallieni bus in the direction of Nation and it will drop you off 1.5 blocks away from the hotel, about a 5-7 minute walk. The bus stop it drops you off at also is the same bus stop that takes you into the city. There is also a tourist hut right by the bus stop in case you need a map, or have any questions, but although she is friendly, her english was not the best, but she tried, and so did I lol. If you want to see the Eiffel Tower you can take bus 76 direction Louvre, or bus 69 to Champ de Mars, and that takes you about a block from the Eiffel Tower. There is a sushi restaurant, and a Kebab type takeaway restaurant right around the corner, if you get the late night munchies! The front desk was helpful, of course they were some receptionists who were not as bubbly as others, and that is to be expected. The restaurant in the hotel was nothing to write home about, but the staff was very friendly, and even taught us some french words. The lobby was very nice, and it has two different places to use the internet. There is also a gift shop, slightly overpriced, so get your souvenirs out in town. If you happen to forget souvenirs, there are people who sell some little cheap trinkets by the bus station. There is also a mall behind the bus station, that we did not discover until the last day, so there is another option in case you get bored and do not want to go all the way to the city. All in all, we had a great experience, and would return. I also recommend staying on the higher floors, so you can have a nicer view.

Room Tip: Higher floors for better view, and also get snacks because room service does not have many options...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Fresno
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I booked two rooms, both for six nights each. I was traveling with my mother, my husband, my sister-in-law, and a friend. This hotel was easy to get to from CDG (about 30-40 euros) total. Check in was easy and elevators were always accessible. Both of the rooms were on the 11th floor and I was always able to connect to the WIFI. It was quiet and all beds, including the pull out sofa, were comfortable. The showers were awesome, excellent water pressure. The rooms were big considering my other experiences in Paris. However, my room (and even the entire floor) was very warm and muggy. After turning on the 'AC', it did little to help the muggy swampy feeling. The problem was never resolved, however, it was really cold outside, so luckily it wasn't the middle of summer.

The gift shop was nice. The bar and restaurant were not the best. If you don't have to eat there, I wouldn't. I only had dinner there one night, so I am not sure about breakfast. I was better helped by the male staff than I was the women staff. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but a majority of the women staff were all pretty rude to me. The male staff were especially helpful. You can write post cards and give them to the front desk and they will mail them for you. The male that helped me the first day charged me only one euro per post card, the female the next time charged me two euros per post card. So who knows. Either way, I still thought this was convenient as opposed to me looking for a post office and mailing it out myself.

I speak fluent French, however, the other members of my party did not. A majority of the staff spoke very good English as well as other languages. The languages they speak is reflected on their name tag by the country's flag. This was helpful. The key cards of one of my rooms always needed to be reactivated daily. The staff was very apologetic, but were unable to solve the problem. So it was an inconvenience having to go to the lobby after going up to my room to have the key reactivated.

The metro is about a three minute walk from the hotel. I found it very convenient to access. To the middle of Paris, it was like maybe a 15 minute ride with possibly one transfer. To the other side of Paris (by where the Eiffel Tower is) maybe like 20-25 minutes with two transfers. Pere Lachaise was only three stops from the hotel stop and I would definitely recommend visiting there. The area around the outside of the hotel didn't seem too bad, and I did walk back to the hotel late at night without any problems. There's like a whole shopping center right past the McDonalds. It was actually very convenient.

There were complimentary waters in the fridge (both sparkling and flat) however, after drinking them, the fridge was never restocked. So maybe its a one time complimentary thing. Not too sure. There is a lounge area where we brought our own food and alcohol. The staff let us eat and drink there no problem. That was cool too.

I maybe would stay here again, if it were affordable (it was part of a package deal). However, I would first try to find something perhaps a little more central. I think you could for about the same price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Novotel Paris Est? Share your experiences!