“They tried to steal from my suitcase” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Anne De Bretagne
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   42 Rue Oliver De Clisson, 56000 Vannes, France   |
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Vannes
Madrid, Spain
“They tried to steal from my suitcase”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This experience occurred from 19th to 25th September 2012. Now with a connection to internet, I would like to tell my awful days there in Anne de Bretagne hotel in Vannes.

Firstly, I was excited of having got a room so cheap, closer to the center of Vannes and just in front the train station. Furthermore, the room was nice, proper and enough for myself. So, I closed my suitcase with a closed lock but I forgot a ring with the 2 keys in the lock.

But everything turned to grey when I arrived to the room the second day, noticing the lock´s ring was forced. One key missed. It was strange. I looked for it around all the bedroom. It wasn´t there. I checked out if something was missing from my suitcase. Not, unfortunately.

Anyway, I consulted my French friend. She advised me to say something in reception. So I told the hole history to the man believing that it might have been an accident while they were cleaning the room. However, I thought the opposite because the man claimed that I was trying to trick them so as to sue them next day because something will be missed in my suitcase in a very very rude way- I felt shocked to be stolen next day with this threat. I told him I was going to check my room again. I was very disappointed by his behaviour while my friend was out in his car.

The search had the same result. No sooner did I down to the car than my friend said to me that the receptionist had told her that I couldn´t be in his hotel, that I had to look for another hotel. So, very upset I spoke with him again. He was this time more rude than before, saying that I couldn´t be in the hotel. In fact, he commenced to tell that I was a liar and that I didn´t understand nothing in French. My French friend explained all the history again. He told me that I could put a claim in the commissary but I had to go out and pay 2 nights because it was later 12pm. So, I said that I would remain that night just in case I paid it. He was incredibly stubborn. I went away to find another room, I sighed.

We found another room and I decided to go away from Anne Bretagne because I wasn´t sure there. When did I try to pay this night he told me I had to pay all the weekend because "It was me who wanted to go out before 25th" - when he was who obliged me to go out. Hopefully, I was not alone and my 2 friends supported me against this impolite, aggressive man. After having discussed during more than 30 minutes, I decided not to go if they were going to charge me all the nights in my credit card. I preferred to stay all the days as if I had to pay all my stance, I would sleep all my paid nights. But , of course, I did 2 things:

1-I asked for an official complaint form. However, in French Brittany there´s no official complaint forms.

2-I changed the lock with other new locks, keeping the keys all the time with me.

To sum up with some words, I definitely thought they tried to open my suitcase because of the bad treatment received. Something that I haven´t experienced in other countries such as North Africa, Spain, Italy or the UK.

One thing is sure, next time I go to Vannes, I will avoid Anne de Bretagne.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

This was really handy, just yards from the station. Good value we thought and a breakfast included. The town had a couple of roads of excellent restaurant choices with local and and other themes. Owners are into cycling in a big way, so that helped us to feel welcome. Be careful, they lok the doors and you will need your code to get back in. We forgot and had to ring to be let in. Lucky! Room fine and clean.

Room Tip: I imagine any room would be fairly quiet as it's off the main road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

A first time visit but a very friendly welcome.Rooms are all modern and spotlessly clean.At a very low rate per night,this is an ideal choice being opposite the central station and close to all restaurants.Quiet location and perfect for visiting this ancient town and with no parking problems.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Spent one night here on our way back to the ferry. From the outside it looks like a house and inside had the feel of a WMCA (not that I've ever stayed in one!) The rooms seem to be in a funny position and the walls are thin, there was quite a bit of noise when the people next door came in at night but we probably got our own back since we are early risers!! Having said that our room was very nice, it looked liked it had recently been redecorated and the bathroom looked new. It was very clean and comfortable. There only seemed to be one person working there, he showed us the garage when we arrived (and moved two other cars out of the way so we could park), checked us in, served us breakfast the following morning and then checked us out again! The breakfast was a bit lacking, we were asked what we wanted to drink and then given a plain yogurt, crossants and bread with a choice of jams, honey or nutella - not very good for a diabetic. I used my saucer since there didn'y seem to be any plates but maybe I'm just fussy!! Having said that it was cheap and suited us. Vannes is a lovely town, lots of twisty cobbled streets with pretty shops to wander in.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I booked this "hotel" online before my trip in August to France for 4 nights and ended up staying only one night. All pictures uploaded to this website are a false representation of the establishment. The room we got reeked of smoke, the bathroom had a fuzzy moldy carpeting. The toilet didn't flush, the shower curtains were molded and there was no hot water. The windows were not isolated correctly so mosquitos were able to infest the room. The bed sheets were not clean. And the bed pillows were never washed. There is no A/C. There is no internet.
This hotel would be classified sub par even for a youth hostel.
I tried to change my room but the staff was not helpful at all, not only they denied any of my requests/concerns but also they gave me a big attitude. When I cancelled my reservation I was not able to get a refund for the 3 remaining nights.
I did not have breakfast at this hotel which consisted of a coffee and a bun.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I was stranded in Vannes and found this small and simple hotel near the railway station. The welcome was excellent and the owners very helpful. It is basic but comfortable and clean

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

We booked into this hotel as we were "in transit" from Douarnenez and wanted to break up the trip. We chose it because it had received some good reviews and was close to the railway station. We arrived early - a bit before 12 00 midday but the owner could not have been more accommodating, he had a room available immediately and escorted us up the stairs. The room was unpretentious but large and comfortable. There was TV and phone and a large bathroom.
We had to check out early but the young assistant to the manager ( I assume) arrived at 630 and provided us with a nice breakfast.

The hotel was better than we expected for a "railway hotel" and as we had arrived early we had the opportunity to explore a really interesting town and port - if we were coming back this way we would take more time to explore Vannes as it has an interesting history.
A big bonus was the fantastic restaurant next door "Regis" which provided fine dining and exquisite food!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Anne De Bretagne? Share your experiences!