“Ruined our day!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
France
“Ruined our day!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

After a 5 hour journey half way through our trip back from holiday, we decided to stop in St. Flour to eat something for lunch. We went into the restaurant to eat something simple so the menu looked OK for us. My husband had the 'plat du jour' the main dish being Salmon with rice and ratatouille. I had a simple galette which consisted of smoked salmon with a chive sauce. As soon as my husband was presented with his main dish my first thought was 'gosh I'm glad I did not choose that'. The so called ratatouille was not real ratatouille as there were no tomatoes, the rice and vegetables were mixed together, the rice looked grey and the vegetables looked grey and slimey, something from a freezer packet would be our guess. (in fact it looked liked something my dog chucked up) my husband declared it inedible. The fish was overcooked and my husband remarked that it was not salmon but trrout, as for my dish something simple yes, edible no!! The smoked salmon tasted of nothing but salt, obviously the cheapest smoked salmon you could buy that was just full of brine.I tried to eat it but gave up. We should have complained at the start , but did not. We could not eat our food and the response that we got was unbeliveable. Although polite as she possibly could have been she was not accepting our critisim at all but basically said that for one, the french liked their fish over cooked, that the restaurant was inland (in the centre of France) so fish was more difficult to get so we should have not ordered it and also it was a question of our taste and nobody else was complaining. We are real foodies, my husband is a chef, so we do know what we are talking about. To be basically told other wise just put more salt in the wound. All we wanted was an apology and probably some effort made in taking something off the cost of the meal. If people have restaurants they should be more passionate about their chosen profession and take some pride in what they serve and what pleases their clientel, or perhaps more people should complain and maybe we could all get better quality and service. We come away hungry, fed up and very annoyed. I wished we had just had the ham sandwich my husband had sugested in the first place!

• Visited September 2011