“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Téléphone de l'établissement : 04 73 55 05 77
Eastbourne
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was the first time we had braved a Courtepaille despite owning a house in France for years. Actually on our visit this one proved quite good. We had a good meal and nice wine which was a pleasant surprise. Have now tried the Buffalo, Hippo and Courtepaille and so far Courtepaille is winning but only by a short head.

Visited January 2014

England
“Mixed experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

One meal good, the other had that slight taste of firelighters that we've met before in Courtepaille restaurants. On mentioning this I was told by the rather shirty waiter that it was impossible. Prices also seem to have gone up. Another one off the list.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bedfordshire
“Friends Night Out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Whist touring in in France with friends we stayed at the Ibis, at the hotel reception we were given a 15% discount voucher for the Courtpaille next door, we came in and were taken straight to our able and sat down and were quickly given menus, when I asked for English menus for two of out friends who speak no French the manager retorted that in France they should speak French, I told him in French that it would collapse the words tourist industry if everyone had to speak the language of the country they were holidaying in and that he should be flattered his country was seen as a good place to visit and his attitude would only damage the restaurants image. We were then given a very nice waiter who was happy and helpful, the food was very good and plentiful, but the managers attitude marred what was a very nice dining experience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Spain
“A rude waiter and uncooked chicken !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were recommended to Courtepaille Issoire by the receptionist at Ibis Issoire. This should have sent out a warning immediately because we were not at all happy with the hotel, however, we had been travelling many hours and really just wanted something nice to eat, that was close to the hotel. Courtepaille is literally 2 minutes away, so it seemed like a good choice.

My husband and I live in Spain, though we are both from the UK, and I speak very good Spanish but, sadly, no French. I asked the waiter for a table for 4 people in English (we were travelling with friends) and he repeated my request in French saying (in English I might add), "You are in France now so you must speak French" My response was to make a bit of a joke of it and say, "Well, I'm afraid I speak very good Spanish but not French!" So then we got, "When I go to England you expect me to speak English..." I laughed and said, "Well, when you go to Spain, maybe you should speak Spanish too!" I really don't think he was amused.

Look, I'm not a rude person, had I been staying in France for more than an overnight stay, I would've taken a dictionary and of course I managed the basics of "thank you" and "good evening" but the lesson in French was not delivered in a friendly way. Fortunately, this lovely guy wasn't serving our table.

The waitress, who despite speaking no English, was able to understand our pointing at the menu (which was in English!) and we ordered our meals. We wanted a bottle of French white wine, which didn't seem like a lot to ask. But, no, they don't serve French white wine in a bottle, only Californian and Australian, which seemed a little odd. But the waitress pointed out that we could order a caraf of French white wine, which was not cheap, but by this time we all needed a drink!

For the meal, my friend and I ordered the chicken brioche (on skewers). Unfortunately I'd already eaten quite a bit of it when I discovered that the meat next to the bones (they were all chicken wings and legs) was undercooked and still bloody. It was too late to even think about sending it back, so it was left. My husband and our other friend ordered "burgers" which came up on a slice of toast, and not in a bun. Again, rather odd, but maybe we are too set in our ways and can only imagine burgers in a bun.

I honestly cannot remember how much we paid for the meal, but it certainly wasn't cheap. So, all in all, not the best of experiences. Maybe we were just having a bad day !

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chesterfield
“Could have been much better, think the Chef was at home !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were wanting to eat at the Buffalo Grill, however as this was not open until 7pm and it was only 5.45pm, the kids were hungry, so we venture across the road from our Hotel (ETAP see other review) to the Courtepaille, also we had a voucher from the Etap reception for this restaurant which I thought would come in handy.
Anyway we turned up at the completly empty Restaurant, obviously early for the French and other travellers to eat and was greeted by a very friendly waitress, we chose to eat outside.
Kids had a set meal of main and dessert which they both had Steak Hache (if you don't know steak hache is basically minced beef made into a patty and grilled, usually quite rare), well we asked for these well done, they came and it was a very generous portion size, plate full of chips and a large patty, just that the patty was a bit rare, but the kids were eating it so we left it.
The wife had the same, I was the only one to have a starter which was poached eggs and salmon in hollandaise sauce, it was nice but alarming how fast it came out, not sure I like the idea of pre-cooked eggs, I then had the Pave de rumpstek, which was quick a small piece and alot rarer than I would have expected to medium done, but hey this is France.
Now I have told you what we had I would like to mention the taste, the meat was ruined, there was an underlying taste of "possibly" charcoal lighter fluid to all the meat, on my visit to the toilet I did not notice any other person in the restaurant so I can only assume this waitress was also grilling our steaks and either she did not let the lighter fuel burn off on the charcoal before putting the steaks on or she mistook the lighter fuel for oil, it virtually made the meat inedible, as we were finishing up we noticed lots more staff arriving so it confirmed my feelings that this waitress was on her own and we had arrived too early.
All in all I could tell this would have been a decent place to eat had we arrived at the right time, but that was not our fault, if the restaurant cannot provide a suitable service they should not open until they can.
I personally cannot recommend this place because of our experience but it may be a different experience if you visit after 7pm ?

Visited July 2012