“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I went to Poachers Pantry for the first time for brunch on a weekend. There weren't many people there and we were seated at a table outside. We ordered our drinks and food at the same time. The coffees came out in good time but we had to ask for sugar. My meal was then delivered but no sign of my husbands. I realised quite a few people at the tables around us had ordered the same meal as myself so the chef must have been cooking for what people ordered....not for the actual group sitting at the tables. After 10 mins the waitress came back with a half-hearted apology that his meal will be another 15 mins. This was unacceptable. I slowly ate mine whilst sharing bits with my husband. Finally his meal arrived with another half-hearted 'Sorry' from the waitress. I advised her that we were quite disappointed as we wanted to enjoy a meal together.
She just seemed to shrug, looked embarrassed and walked away. I realise this wasn't her fault but the disorganisation of the kitchen. We were going to browse through the pantry afterwards and see what looked good to buy but couldn't be bothered. I only wish I had spoken to the manager or someone in charge to let them know how disappointed we were.
The meals were quite tasty overall but a little pricey for what they were. I doubt we'll be back.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Poaches got poached”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Close friends of ours had a wedding here and were really disappointed. Yes, the venue may appeal as rustic and the food was gourmet. But the function staff were unprofessional and inefficient. Last minute let downs and excuses are not what you need on your wedding day. What was promised in the beginning was a long shot to what was actually delivered in the few days prior to and on the wedding day. By the time all the extra charges were added on, my friend could of had her wedding at a more established winery on the same budget. It just got really difficult. Not somewhere I'd ever recommend.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We have been here several times in the past and it's one if our favourite spots in Canberra for a long lunch. Regrettably the pantry is not what it used to be. The platters to share used to be a lot more generous and interesting than they are now yet the prices have remained the same. That was a negative for me. The mains are okay but I think their old menu was better. I ordered the chocolate slice for dessert. The slice had a strange texture I cannot describe. Not really a slice and not really a cake. It was like eating grainy cake mixture. Given the long drive to reach the pantry we are unlikely to return here anytime soon.

“Met our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I had been to Poachers Pantry a few years ago for a wedding and it was the best wedding food I'd ever had! Our visit for lunch was also very good. My husband had the smoked chicken pie which was AMAZING! I had the smoked lamb which was beautifully smoked, but the dish although very very good, could also have been amazing with such beautiful ingredients to work with. Our entree of the smoked seafood plate was also AMAZING! I was disappointed they didn't have any smoked seafood for sale in their deli. We had the baklava for dessert, it looked spectacular but didn't quite deliver to our expectations. I am being a little bit picky as it was a delicious lunch experience, hence the excellent rating and I hope we'll go again! It is worth a visit!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was my second visit in a month. We had such a great lunch in December we returned for a family member's birthday today. Absolutely superb scallops (again) and chicken and sour cream pie on sweet potato mash was again scrumptious. Partner had lamb rump again on puy lentils but this time they said meat was tough and bland. Other party member had salmon with pea purée. Pea purée was too watery, very light green and not so much pea purée but they liked the salmon. Wine was their own brand wily trout sauvignon blanc. Light zesty taste for young wine.. Dessert was passionfruit meringue aka like a deconstructed pavlova. As delicious as last time. Other dessert was chocolate with raspberry coulis and delicious rosewater fairy floss(cotton candy). We all had a taste It was delicious. Previously we have had brunch and afternoon tea here and it was very good. You can eat outside under umbrellas or inside and there is a marquee for special events. Pleasant drive just outside of Canberra ... Pleasant restaurant but can be noisy inside if nearby tables are loud. No aircon so you don't freeze.

• Visited January 2014