“Not bad for the price I paid, expensive drinks though!” 4 of 5 stars

Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel - A QHotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hellidon, Hellidon NN11 6GG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Hellidon
Kent
“Not bad for the price I paid, expensive drinks though!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for a couple of nights in August, paid about £106 in total on some deal, maybe cos it was Sunday to Tuesday.
The place was well laid out, room was small but nice with a stunning view of the golf course. We had a walk around the course which was good. The staff were very pleasant. Breakfast wasn't good. The first day I bit down on a lump of fat in a sausage and that was it for hot breakfasts. Had fruit the next day.
The bar prices are far too high. £4.50 for a pint is above London prices. A real p*** take. If the hotel was truly four or five star then maybe those prices could be justified but it's three star for me.
A nice place to stay, we didn't use the bowling alley, pool, sauna or tennis court so I can't comment on those.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am please that you had a great experience with us and noticed your constructive feedback. I hope that you will make the most of all our facilities on your returned visit (indeed we have some great deals available on our website). With the golf, Spa, leisure, bowling, tennis and walks we have a great choice for everyone.

726 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Bournemouth, Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary as a surprise for my husband. Loved the hotel. Staff were all very helpful & even gave us a complimentary bottle of wine & chocs in our room which was very nice! Room overlooked the golf course with excellent views. We hadn't booked a table in the restaurant for the evening & asked at reception only to find out that the earliest available was at 9:15pm! We decided to eat in the bar but asked at the restaurant later on the off chance & as someone hadn't shown up for their reservation, they kindly showed us to a table! Restaurant Manager was ever so helpful & friendly! Breakfast was nice as well.
Hotel is nice & clean. Only downside I would say is that the swimming pool could do with being slightly larger & warmer and the soundproofing in the hotel could possibly be slightly better as 2 floors above a wedding reception party we could still hear the music but it wasn't so loud that we couldn't sleep.
All in all a really lovely stay at a lovely hotel in beautiful surroundings :)

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am delighted to read that your husband had a nice surprise and that you enjoyed our hospitality. Indeed the restaurant does get very busy but we will always try to accommodate our guests preferred time to dine with us. Our views are stunning, I agree with you, very relaxing when you are sat on the terrace overlooking the course.
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after wedding and had a lovely time and were happy with our room. we decided to book the two day offer with dinner in the evenings. On our first evening we booked a table in the restaurant but when we arrived they had no booking for us and had to wait for them to check with reception that we had booked all though the restaurant was empty. We enjoyed our meal and the staff were very attentive. We were presented with a bill to which we explained were on an included evening meal we were informed we had gone over the £26 per person allowance all though we had both ordered from the menu with the* along side our choices and the menu states three course with an * along side is covered. We were quite taken aback at the way we were told we had gone over our allowance. we paid the £1.05p and left quite embarrassed at how we had been told.
We booked for the Thursday evening when we arrived we shown to a table and were left sitting for about fifteen minutes with no menu or offer of any drinks. People came in after us and were served drinks, water and had the specials explained to them . We began to wander if it was because we were on the included evening meal offer. We had very little service for the rest of the evening. When paying our bill on the way out we were met with another drama because we had ordered our drinks with our meal the bill had to be split between the restaurant and the bar.
To cap it all on check out the bill for drinks and overspend in the restaurant was included on our bill.
Very disappointed as we were on a much needed break.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TomReeve, Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor i am sincerely sorry that your visit to Helliodn Lakes was overshadowed by the issues highlighted in your review. All guests who stay with us on a dinner inclusive package are entitled to a three course meal to the value of £26.00, as you have highlighted a number of dishes on our menus are marked with an *. I have investigated your comments and indeed it does seem as though an error was made on one of our menus, this has now been rectified. Your other comments regarding your bill and the way in which you were charged will be investigated, thank you for bringing these concerns to my attention. I am so sorry that this caused you some embarrassment, i do hope you will consider visiting us again in the future,

Best regards,

Tom Reeve
Operations Manager
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Came here for a golf/spa weekend with a group of friends in August. Played the Hellidon course on all 4 days and although tight in places, was challenging for all standards of players.
The 18th hole is a Par 3 where you play towards the awaiting gallery on the terrace bar. Even a bad shot was warmly greeted with a round of applause by the ladies seeing their partners play.
The ladies enjoyed their spa treatments and even upgraded from the 25 minute treatments that was part of the package deal.
The food in the hotel was good, although on the Friday and Saturday nights, the service was slow due to the number of people staying and the weddings that were taking place.
All the staff were very friendly and seemed to employ many locals.
The downside to this place is the price they charge for drinks. Even some of the bar staff agreed it was expensive although you do get a 10% discount if you are a golfer staying at the hotel.
The hotel could do with air conditioning as the hotel and rooms were extremely hot although we were told that it was the complete opposite during the winter.
One of the best things about this place is after a hard walk around the course, you can relax with a pint or two sitting on the terrace with outstanding views.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of the valley at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Golf and Spa week end with us. Indeed we have some stunning views and with the weather that we have enjoyed in the last few weeks a drink on the terrace over looking the course is a must. On the other side indeed it was a very hot week end and can make the bedrooms hotter that normal, my apologies for this inconvenience. I am pleased that the team looked after you and you enjoyed the hospitality.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Hellidon Lakes very soon, we have some great packages available on our website.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our sat nav kept taking us to a local farm which was really annoying. Poor signage if you approached the hotel from the left. Just our luck
My husband says I am like a hotel inspector. I have stayed in enough of them to know which ones. I would like to return to and why. This one however had too many small irritating problems. Like we were a 2 night package with dinner both nights. They advised a table reservation had been booked in for us @8.15 because they were getting booked up. Not an ideal time but better than a bar meal offered as an alternative. However they had not given us a time for the Saturday night. Tried to fit us in at 9.15 which I refused because it was to late. Again we were offered a bar meal as an alternative. How can they accept a booking for dinner, then not have time for you. Finally the very kind receptionist managed to fit us in at 8.30 and left us a note in our room . Imagine our surprise at 8.30 their were 8 empty tables , so much for being busy.

Our first room was disgusting , with a very strong smell of cigarette smoke. Extremely poor housing keeping. If it was cleaned it should have been dealt with. Second room second floor was so hot and stuffy. The fan in the room didn't work, replacement requested that didn't work third one finally gave some respite from the airless room. Cleaning was at a poor standard with a sticky chew..? On the carpet under the table, dust around the edges of the carpet and adjoining bedroom door left unlocked

Chipped cup, bath didn't empty properly, to name yet more niggles. Food was ok just. Restaurant staff were polite and friendly. Breakfast was poorly managed with food on tables scattered around a room.

Kept awake by in considerate people smoking just below are room at 1 am. Shouting and being rowdy.

Overall this place is in need of some proper management, once again no suits any where to be seen.

Wouldn't stay here again...

Room Tip: Book a table before you arrive to ensure you eat when you want to
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your honest and constructive review. we value all guests comments and your feedback has been passed on to the team. I am sincerely sorry and personally disappointed that your experience was overshadowed by a number of small but important issues.

The standards of housekeeping that you have described are not in line with our usual standards and i will be addressing your feedback with the Housekeeping Team, it is clear from your comments that on this occasion that the finer details were over looked and this is unacceptable.

Many guests who stay at Hellidon Lakes choose to dine with us, we are conscious of this and we do all we can to contact guests before arrival in order to make a reservation for dinner. I am sorry that we were unable to contact you and that a suitable dining time was not available for you on arrival.

I would like to thank you for your comments, if you would like to further discuss any of your feedback please don't hesitate to contact me directly,

Best regards

Tom Reeve
Operations Manager
Leicestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

5 of us went to this hotel on 3rd August for my daughter's hen week-end I have to say that the staff here were the most attentive and friendly I have ever encounterd in any hotel I have ever been in, and I consider myself to be well travelled. We were approached by management and asked how we were enjoying our stay and if we were in need of anything, on several seperate occasions, and from the receptionists to the bar staff we could not have received better service
.now to the hotel and its facilities, in agreement with some other comments I have read it is a bit of a labyrinth of corridors and a little confusing, it seems to be a link between a very modern and good standard hotel and a very shabby dated one, I guess it is a work in progress? We had three very good rooms bright and modern with beautiful bathrooms. We had one or two housekeeping cleanliness issues as in a stained dirty dressing gown, and a mug still bearing a coffee stain ring inside! But the big disappointment for us as it seemingly is with everyone is the spa area, and as we had booked a spa week end was a let down, it is downstairs low ceilings and oppressively hot, with no air-con it is dirty (unvacuumed, stained surfaces, dust, stained carpets etc, ) there were no disposable paper towels on beds and the towels seemed grubby and creased as though not changed between clients!!! That said the girls were lovely, and extremely good therapists. We covered a whole range of treatments between us over two days with all different therapists and we were all full of praise for there collective skills.
Now to the pool the biggest disappointment of all. Unbelievably small, Punishingly hot, to the point of making me feel so overcome I had to leave the others to go outside and felt quite unwell for a couple of hours following, As combined with the overwhelming smell of chlorine and lack of ventilation along with the cacophony of noise from several exuberant children, I developed a very heavy headache and streaming eyes from the chlorine, the other girls were not long behind me and a couple more were also affected by the chlorine! It most definitely was not a pleasant or relaxing experience (which is the whole point of a spa break) so none of us wanted to return the following day, and as it was raining just left us the option of sitting reading and chatting to relax for our last few hours which is always good, but could have been done at home. We enjoyed our break away overall but I don't think the hotel should be marketed as a spa hotel, until it makes major improvements in that area..

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms with a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review and your constructive feedback, I am please to read that your stay was overall enjoyable. Thank you for your nice comments about the team and the service that you have received. We are about to start a refurbishment and improvement of the Spa facilities, this will include the creation of relaxation rooms, changing rooms and I can assure you that you will notice the difference. Indeed with the very hot weather recently the temperature of the pool side has been challenging to monitor. I will make sure that my team rectified the points that you have raised.
Gunnislake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

There was 20 of us for the whole weekend. We booked on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis but they weren't expecting us for dinner on the Friday Evening ????????. Couldn't quite understand this. It was a shambles cos the place was all but full. The staff really did make up for it on Saturday night and Sunday morning and the weekend ended up well. Only other critisism would be that the rooms were really hot, despite there being a fan in the room. It really needed air conditioning.

Room Tip: Ask for an air conditioned room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am please to read that the situation was rectified quickly and that you enjoyed your family week end together. We have had some very hot days recently my apologies for the inconvenience. We have some great packages available on our website, please make the most of it.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Hellidon Lakes very soon.
Christophe

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel - A QHotel? Share your experiences!