“All in all a good choice!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Clarion
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   103 Kandy Road, Kiribathgoda, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Kiribathgoda B&B and Inns
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
“All in all a good choice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for our last night in Sri Lanka and had to leave for the airport at 5 pm the next day. We asked the staff at the reception and it was no problem to keep the room until that time. Therefore we had a very nice time at the Clarion. I used the pool which was very clean and beautiful but I didn't feel very comfortable using it because I was the only person doing so.
The rooms was large and clean and the furniture was modern. It also had a big window with a sitting area in front of it. I really liked the room and the whole hotel but I found it a little too expensive.
We had seafood for dinner in the hotels restaurant. It was really delicious with good prices and I would recommend having dinner there. Breakfast was good as well. It was a buffet with all kinds of food and fruits which we liked. Only for Sri Lankan Breakfast I was missing some Curry.
The staff was very friendly and liked chatting with us. They helped us taking the bus to Colombo (it takes 45min) and organized our Airport transport which was on time but with 25$ a little expensive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Galle, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I went there for a wedding. Nicely decorated banquet hall make me fell luxurious. Also I had uncommon welcome drink and foods also well delicious. Also there fast service to the table service make us feel happy. I think this is great destination for banquet functions.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kyushu-Okinawa, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

If you were to visit there for your vacation, don't pick this hotel.
Their bed was very hard, more like a yoga mat. It was very uncomfortable to sleep in and their shower room was old and not clean. You may well be really tired after your long flights, the last thing you need is a yoga mat for sleeping. I was looking forward to swimming in the pool but water was not clean enough so decided not to swim. Very disappointing. Breakfast was OK but a little boring. The worst part was they were having a wedding party at night with very loud music so couldn't sleep until very late. The captain of bellboys in a white uniform was really nice and friendly but a bed is very important for travelers.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Kiribathgoda hotels

Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed 3 nights as visiting near the hotel. Naturally it looks better on the Internet but the following..... Safe not fixed so anyone can walk out with it. Shower poor as not enough water pressure. Breakfast average but having eaten each night in the restaurant it was pretty awful. Internet rarely worked even in the lobby and on my floor the 4th you can forget it! told that they were having a problem but as you can see from other reviews it simply rarely works. Staff however friendly and manager tried to be helpful. Some Sri Lankan charm so overall my stay wasn't that bad but I had no where else to stay. Whatever you do pay a little extra for the de lux room. At least it was big and fairly quiet over looking the pool.

Room Tip: De lux room or don't go.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Clarion is located at busy Kandy Street. However, there is no noise from the street audible. We spent there one night for visiting Perahera Festival at nearby Kelaniya Temple. Hotel staff is friendly, although very slowly in service. We had to wait 30 min for a drink at the pool, and later on another 10 min for the bill. In the evening I asked for a bottle of water. The waiter said he would bring it to the the room. We waited 40 min before the bottle was delievered.
It was a Saturday and the hotel served three wedding receptions in their baalrooms. It was not easy to find sleep. Our room was okay as was the swimming pool.
Our next goal was Kandy. We took a taxi to Veyangoda train station.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Alicante Province, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

After a long and hot four hour journey i arrived at the Clarion and my first impressions were very poor. There was no one to help with my bags and the rather rude reception staff were chatting amongst themselves and barely acknowledged my presence. Eventually i was checked in and shown to my room where i was absolutely appalled at the condition of it. It was dark, dirty and smelt like something the proverbial cat had dragged in. I was booked in for 3 nights and the prospects of being a lone female traveller in this establishment filled me with horror as quite honestly i felt unsafe and uncomfortable there. I complained to the receptionist who merely smirked at me and said i would be charged for the 3 nights whether i stayed there or not. Eventually i spoke to another member of staff who offered me a change of room. It was slightly better but not much. The sheets were torn and stained, the bathroom smelt and was dark and dingy and only two of the lights worked in the bedroom. The furniture was dated and the mattress was more like a yoga mat! I didn't unpack my bag as i didn't want to put my clothes in the dirty drawers or wardrobe. Yes i should have complained again but quite honestly the reception staff were so rude and unhelpful i just didn't see the point. The Hotel Clarion has two strap lines that it uses 'old world charm with modern luxury' and 'where the smile lingers' perhaps they should change the latter to 'where the smell lingers'! The Clarion has very little charm and certainly no modern luxury. The location of the hotel does it no favours either, it's on a very busy road and there is very little to tempt you outside of this establishment which is exactly what you want to do! There is a pool there but its cleanliness is again also questionable. There were a series of weddings taking place in the banquetting suites and the noise from these functions was very intrusive. On the plus side the waiting staff and bar staff were very helpful and friendly and the food served in the restaurant was also very good. It's unfortunate that the Clarion was the last place that i stayed in during my trip to Sri Lanka and yes i should have just moved somewhere else but i couldn't afford to lose the money as this hotel is definitely overpriced for what it is. In my opinion this hotel should come with a health warning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Kiev
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed there for couple of hours to be closer to the airport. Would say it's the best I've ever seen. Not sure I would feel comfortable sleeping in that room. The room was ok but definitely needed some work and renovations. The pool looked ok but could be cleaner. Had dinner in the restaurant. The food was good but came cold. There was a nice live music in a restaurant. The staff seemed friendly. It was ok to stay since we were waiting for going to the airport but I'm not sure I would recommend staying here for long term vacations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Clarion? Share your experiences!