“I want an elephant” 4 of 5 stars

New York City, New York
9 attraction reviews
“I want an elephant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My fiance and I did the 2 hour tour because we weren't sure about the full day or overnight ones. Now, after doing this, I would go back for a month. After learning 5 or so commands, we fed the elephants. Then we rode them bareback through a narrow jungle trail which led to a river. We got off the elephants and had the opportunity to bathe and play with them. We rode them back to the starting point and got to see and play with a baby. It was an awesome experience and I highly recommend it. They seem to care a lot about the animals and although they use hooks, the elephants were not scared and seemed very well taken care of.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Visited on 11 April with my husband and two children (20 & 16) ... Took part in the one day training. Fantastic experience, trekking through the jungle bareback on an elephant is not something we will ever forget!

Very well run, thank you Joe and team!

Tampa, Florida
6 attraction reviews
“2 hour experience - worth it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

First of all, I received a very fast reply from Joe when I emailed TEH to inquire about the 2 hour trip the following day. He answered all my questions and we went the next morning to TEH. We were greeted with free bottled water and clothes to change into, which were comfortable. After filling out a form and briefed on elephant commands, we went to feed the elephants bananas before being shown how to properly get on and off the elephants. Sitting on the elephant's neck was not the most comfortable or easy thing to do (I suggest you have a good sense of balance to ride like this) and the 2 hour trip was more than enough. I don't think I could have ridden them more than that. The playtime in the river was probably the bet part. The elephants were very playful, spraying us with water and picking us up by their trunks. Soo fun!!! I only wish we'd spent less time riding and more time playing in the river. Overall though, it was very good value for the money and I highly recommend it!! The elephants all seemed very happy and healthy.

Auckland
19 attraction reviews
“12 out of 10!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I spent hours on Trip Advisor searching for an elephant adventure that was a little different and didn't have elephants performing. I booked this online then sent a separate email to request a specif date. Heard back very quickly. Unbelievable day with hours and hours of close contact with the very well cared for elephants. My favourite parts were the mud bath and river swim with the elephants. Loved the free photo CD of the whole day. Despite having "John Wayne" legs for days afterwards, I would do this again! I am not fit but it was brilliant.

Germany
“2 Day Mahout Training”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Thai Elephant Home where we spent two days as "Junior-Mahouts". The entire stay was very well organized from the pickup at the hotel in Chiang Mai, clothes, meals and of course the mahout training itself. The elephants are very well cared for and during our stay we helped with this too. From feeding, to cleaning stables, and bathing them in black mud and in the river we were there each with our own elephant.
If you want a real experience with elephants you should visit Joe and his team at the Thai elephant home.

Visited March 2013