“Amazing Experience! Best Day of my life so far.. :)” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Manila, Philippines
“Amazing Experience! Best Day of my life so far.. :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is the most amazing experience of my life! I highly recommend Thai Elephant Home to the people who would want to have an incredible elephant encounter. Staff was responsive and very friendly.

We only took the 2 hour elephant training since I believe this was enough for what we would want to experience. On top of that, we were only in Chiang Mai for a day and we need to visit some other places, we didn't have much time.

Joe's friend, Coco picked us up at the bus station and he toured us in some of Chiang Mai's best tourist attractions. He was very friendly and speaks good English. He pretty much made everything easier for us. He's a local and knows the place really well. We felt very comfortable and safe during our trip.

At the camp, we were thought some basic commands and when the elephants arrived, it was time to meet them. Riding these gentle giants was surreal, I can't believe I was able to do it. It was a mixture of excitement and fascination. We spent 2 hours riding them through the jungle and had loads of fun bathing them on the river.. My mahout was super cool and friendly, we did lots of funny poses while bathing my elephant and it made my encounter extra memorable.

It was all worth it.. The night trip from BKK to Chiang Mai and the price was all worth the experience. If life permits for us to visit Thailand the 2nd time, I will definitely come back to Thai Elephant home and ride my baby Ruby (elephant's name) again.

I thank Joe and his staff for making our stay more than perfect.

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Best activity in Chiang Mai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

An amazing experience and a day well spent. We thoroughly enjoyed the camp, the friendly staff, the charming elephants, and the beautiful ride through the jungle. It was great to be a part of an animal friendly and environmental friendly experience, where the animals are treated with respect and care. It is one of the "pricier" activities in CM but very much worth it. We highly recommend Thai Elephant Home!!

Darwin, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“Wow, I cared for my own elephant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had the opportunity to spend the whole day with our own personal elephants. We first learned a few commands then got up on its back. We spent hours riding it through the jungle, enjoyed lunch then rubbed her down with some mud, getting quite dirty ourselves and then rode her down to the river to wash and play. I couldn't praise the staff more or rate the whole experience any higher. It will be a memory to cherish.

Mexico City, Mexico
6 attraction reviews
“There is life before Thai Elephant home, and after Thai Elephant home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

During our honeymoon we wanted to go to Patara but they were all booked out, so we could only book a 2 hour trip with Thai Elephant Home, they sent a driver to our hotel who showed us all around Chiang Mai from 8am till 3pm when we finally arrived to the elephants.
I had ridden elephants before in India and Nepal, I can tell you, this is a complete different experience! The elephants show no signs of illnes or bad treatment, they all look healthy and happy. You can ride the elephants without a chair directly on the neck, this enhaces the experience!
It is fun, it is different and above all, it is a well kept nature project, we highly recomend it.
BTW if you are just a tourist that likes elephants, the 2 hour trip is more than enough.

New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
“If I could give it a higher rating, I would! LOVED”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

LOVED: The first word that comes to mind when I think about my day at Thai Elephant Home.

The day was definitely top on my list of my 3 week trip to Thailand.

Joe made everyone feel comfortable upon arrival by giving clothing to wear and then fully explaining about the elephants and what to look forward to for the day.

We spent the day feeding, riding, going in the mud bath, having lunch, and playing in the water with the elephants.

Each elephant has a trainer, so I never felt scared. They even have a PHOTOGRAPHER who took amazing photos that they give you at the end of the day.

There were many other elephant groups we passed during our journey and it was VERY CLEAR that Thai Elephant Home took much better care of their elephants than did anyone else.

They were also very accommodating with lunch. I am a vegetarian and they didn't even think twice at my request. The pad thai was SO YUMMY!

I highly recommend this tour!

Thanks again for the greatest day!

Visited January 2013