“If I could give it a higher rating, I would! LOVED” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Mae Taeng
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
13 attraction reviews
“If I could give it a higher rating, I would! LOVED”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

LOVED: The first word that comes to mind when I think about my day at Thai Elephant Home.

The day was definitely top on my list of my 3 week trip to Thailand.

Joe made everyone feel comfortable upon arrival by giving clothing to wear and then fully explaining about the elephants and what to look forward to for the day.

We spent the day feeding, riding, going in the mud bath, having lunch, and playing in the water with the elephants.

Each elephant has a trainer, so I never felt scared. They even have a PHOTOGRAPHER who took amazing photos that they give you at the end of the day.

There were many other elephant groups we passed during our journey and it was VERY CLEAR that Thai Elephant Home took much better care of their elephants than did anyone else.

They were also very accommodating with lunch. I am a vegetarian and they didn't even think twice at my request. The pad thai was SO YUMMY!

I highly recommend this tour!

Thanks again for the greatest day!

Visited January 2013

3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic day, informative, fun and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

So glad we chose this program to visit! Had a fantastic day one of the best all holiday! Pick up from hotel was on time and transfer to the home was about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. When we arrived we were given clothes to change into and then sat around a big table for an elephant talk, Joe then explained as much about elephants and the home as was possible in the time alllowed, he explained that the elephant numbers are dwindleing, how expensive elephants are to keep and how elephants must work to earn their keep, why it was neccesary to use the bullhook as elephants are big animals and you need to be able to control them and why the home does not use baskets, this talk was very informative and answered all my questions, joe then ran through the 5 command words we might need, up, down, go, stop and turn ! Then we made offering to Ganesh the elephant god before collecting some sugar cane and banana to give the elephants.
Meeting the elephants for the first time was the most nerve racking as they spotted the food and came striding over to get it, we were given a quick demo on how to get on and off before being let loose 3 at a time to practice, we each got on walked around the paddock and then got off again while accompanied by a mahout,then we were assigned out own elephant and we mounted up and headed out. Riding the elephant was the strangest sensation, especially when the elephant stopped for munching!! The track to the lunch stop wound up and down through the jungle and was very beautiful, we trekked for about an hour and then stopped for some tasty pad thai we took photos, ate lunch, fed the elephants the leftovers and then helped cover the elephants in black mud in the "elephant spa" (we also got covered ourselves) the elephants loved this- one point blank refused to get up afterwards. After this we got back on and trekked back to the river - this was my favourite part after dropping our bags off on the far bank we went back in and the elephants lay down and let you wash them off and they splash you and lie flat in the water with their trunks out, after this it's about 20 mins back to the home. When we got back we had a shower and changed clothes before having a foot and hand soak if we wanted, tea and coffee were available, we were all given a free t shirt, framed picture, DVD with over 500 pics on as well as more info on the home and elephants in general before we jumped back in the van to return to our hotel.

Overall I cannot reccomend this place highly enough, you need to book in advance because it's very popular, I think that if you are going to do something like this it's worth spending the money to do it properly and support the places who are trying to do things the best way for the elephants.

3 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

You have to do this if you are an animal and nature lover! We spent all day riding the elephants and then washed them in the river. The mahouts really love their elephants and you can tell that there # 1 priority is their happiness. I would come back to Chaing Mai just to visit again.

Visited January 2013
Tianjin, China
5 attraction reviews
“Very fun day trip and worth every penny!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was an amazing day. For 150 Canadian you get: several hours of elephant riding in a lush jungle, a Phad Thai lunch, washing and mud bathing the elephants and instructions as well as feedingq them treats. They also provide clothes for you, a shower and herbal soaking for feet and hands at the end of the day. During the trip the mahout (elephant trainers/guides) will take pictures for you and give them to you at then end as well as a t shirt.

It was incredible to spend so much time with those incredible beasts. As for treatment, given their size and thick skin the mahouts used the hook sticks rarely and we didn't have many behaviour problems with the elephants either. The elephants are well taken care of and the philosophy of the home is protection and giving the elephants some work while also promoting conservation and Eco tourism. Well worth every hour and dime!

Visited February 2013
Darwin, Australia
19 attraction reviews
“a wonderful day out with your own elephant to care for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I loved my day at the Thai Elephant Home. The staff really love and care for the elephants well. I enjoyed having my own elephant to care for during the day, including the mud bath and swim in the river! A wonderful experience!

Visited February 2013