“Not for the feint hearted!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Seathwaite
Type: Hiking Trails, Outdoors
Swansea, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Not for the feint hearted!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The walk starts pleasantly enough from Wasdale. We attempted it on a cool July morning. As an early start is advised we set off at 6am at a steady pace. Do take a walkers stick or two because you will need it (them) especially on the downward trail back home. It takes an average 3 hours up if you are fit and don't stop but for me it was 5 hours, but well worth it. As you near the top the camaraderie from other walkers is wonderful as everyone spurs you on. The walk is relentless, challenging and very steep but Oh! the reward on reaching the summit is sublime. The views are superb and the sense of achievement is overpowering, as is the wind factor. Wear layers as your body temperature will change throughout the walk as the weather changes dramatically. I wore walking boots but here were others wearing sandals. I can't imagine how they coped with the boulders near the summit because I was glad of the extra protection my boots afforded my ankles but trainers would be fine too. I would thoroughly recommend you to do this climb. Add it to your bucket list and enjoy it.

Visited July 2013

Stafford, United Kingdom
52 attraction reviews
“This is not just a walk. 1% pleasure, 100% satisfaction and never again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Three of us had done Snowdon and Ben Nevis, leaving this until last. I'm glad we did as we wouldn't tried the others after doing this on the basis that they would be harder as they're higher. They were both easier than this and Scafell Pike makes Snowdon look like a mild afternoon walk. This was a hard, with very unfriendly terrain in parts and I thought it might be my nemesis. The last part (if you're walking up the Corridor Route) is a painful climb/scrabble up a steep boulder and scree face. When you get to the top of that, you're not far from the summit but, on the day we went (26th October 2013), there was severe weather and the wind blew us off our feet, gusting over 70 mph. Made it interesting and when you make the right turn towards the summit, the terrain is dreadful. All boulders and each one perfect for a sprained ankle. Adding in the wind and rain made it wise to do some parts bent over using hands as well. The day after Ben Nevis, when the aches had subsided, all agreed that we would get back to Scotland and do it again as soon as possible. Today, all agree that we wouldn't go back and try Scafell Pike again. A great personal achievement for me but lacking in any of the pleasure of the other two peaks.

Visited October 2013
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“something that no extreme fair ride can top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am not a confident climber, hate heights, and when it is windy think I will be blown off so when my partner asked me to walk Scafell on the corridor route I thought he had gone mad. However I decided to give it a try and despite this on several occasions took me way out of my comfort zone, the feeling I had when I completed the climb is something I could never imagine but a fantastic feeling. This climb is not what I expected. At some points you seem to be walking down and then up and back down on route. You pass streams, waterfalls and a lake on the way. A 20ft drop on the way I admit to struggling with and again when we went the same way back had to get back to the top I even had a few tears for a minute felling like I could not do it but I did. the climb getting over the scree is not what I expected. it is a high and when you climb it for every few steps you take you take several back down again. I cursed and swore on the way up and when I made a final effort to the top or what I thought was the top, was greeted by endless boulders to walk across. getting back across and down the scree was just as hard and takes a lot of effort. This for me was not easy but the rewards you feel on completion is one that will stay with you for ever. Don't be put off by the heights. They say that anything worth having isn't easy and in this case it most certainly is true. I know that some of you reading this will say not something I can do, but trust me, if I can do it with all my fears you can to. You just need to take your time not rushing and you will finish it. I have been told that there is an easier route than the corridor route but don't take it, take this route as the views are stunning.

Benfleet, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“My climb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Not sure why I said this was excellent but it was. Do not let anyone ANYONE tell you that it is just a walk. I thought I could do it ... yes I take the dog out every day!! LOL you have to be extremely fit to attempt this climb/walk. The footing is very precarious and you could easily trip sprain, break your ankle ot anything else, every time you look up the summit never gets nearer but just turn around for a rest and see the views OH WOW Isle of Man and Scotland can be seen on a good day (my day) it does invigorate you.
Try it even to see how fit you are as you will want to come back to conquer this beast but however fit you are remember coming down can be worse.

Rugby, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Highest place in England & I felt like I was on Top of the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Excellent challenging mountain. I walked up this mountain in the afternoon straight after walking up Ben Nevis so I was a little more tired than usual. Harder to climb than both Ben Nevis and Snowdon. Worth the visit with some awesome views on the way up. Love the way you have to go through a waterfall only half an hour into the climb. Take some decent boots with ankle protection.