“A Horsemans Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   HC 70, Lajitas, Big Bend National Park, TX 79852   |
Hotel packages
Texas
“A Horsemans Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I and our two mules, Reba and Sarah stayed at Lajitas the week after Christmas through New Years day. It was intended to be a 2 day stay on our way to Arizona but we ended up staying 5 nights.

First of all, the name; Lajitas Golf Resort and Spa is very misleading. Lajitas is (or at least could be) so much more than a golf resort. But since that’s what they called it, my wife and I got massages and facials and took a golf cart tour of the course. The spa was excellent, and the Lanny Watkins designed course was close to insane!!! I’m not an avid golfer, but this course was amazing with spectacular views and obviously one of the most difficult courses in the nation if not the world. Some holes had as much as a 300 foot change in elevation from tee to green and you can forget about an even lie. They provide clubs but if you bring your own, bring a small iron you don’t mind damaging. There is no out of bounds but the ruff is rocks!

So I understand their desire to promote it as a golf resort but Lajitas is actually a vacation destination within over a million acres of some of the most remote and beautiful area in the nation and they offer rooms and activities that are appropriately styled and take advantage of the area. And by the way, they have an awesome golf course.

When we first arrived, we met with O.K. Estes. O. K is the director of the equine center and we stabled our equine and scheduled riding lessons. O. K is the “Real Deal” and widely known as an excellent horse trainer and World Champion Cutting Horse Rider. One hour in the round pen with O.K. taught my wife and I more than we had learned with all other equine professional combined. After a couple of sessions we went on a trail ride across some moderately difficult terrain and had a good ride. I had recently had a very bad wreck on my mule breaking 3 ribs and tearing a shoulder. In two days, O. K. had restored a confidence in me and my mule that I wasn’t sure I would ever get back. O. K. would probably call me a liar if he read s this, but we left the girls with him as he agreed to take them in for training to reestablish their foundation and finish them off.

After a couple of nights staying in the lodge, we moved over to the properties RV Park and spent the remainder of our stay in our horse trailer with living quarters. The RV Park is another one of the hidden gems of Lajitas that the name ignores. Big pull threws, great views, community center with pool, laundry and all of the amenities that go with the resort are available to the Rver’s as well.

As far as the hotel itself, we were generally pleased. Some complained it was not “resort quality”, but it is area appropriate to the era and style of the surrounding environment and similar to other regional hotels such as the Gage in Marathon, the Paisano in Marfa, the La Fonda in Santé Fe or Stockyards in Ft Worth. It is not a Las Vegas or Caribbean style resort.
The food was excellent although as some have said, it is a little pricey. But note to traveler, everything except rocks are a little pricey in West Texas do to the remoteness of the area and the transportations cost to bring in product. The grilled swordfish was excellent but it wasn’t caught in the Rio Grande. Be prepared to spend 20% more on most commodity items throughout far West Texas.

So In summary, this is how I perceive the strengths and weaknesses of Lajitas.
They should broaden their public identity to include more than golf. The golf course is outstandingly fabulous but not the only thing they have. Golf is a 72 billion dollar industry in the US but the horse industry is a 107 billion dollar industry and RV travel is probably bigger than the other two combined. The combination of equine facilities, RV Park, thousands of sections of wilderness and an excellent restaurant and bar is a horse lovers dream. Get that message out and improve the equine and Rv Facilities. Horse stalls, lighted arenas and picnic tables are cheap compared to golf carts and greens.

Hire a concierge and staff. Have them promote all the other activities and book all activities through them. There seemed to be too much miss communications and too many different people for guest to deal with.

Unfortunately, my wife thought the jewelry shop was great adding a significant cost to the trip.

The staff is very friendly and work hard but the resort seemed to be a little understaffed causing longer than normal wait times and minor cleanliness issues. This gives the chronically impatient and annoying people reasons to complain.

Occasionally, thoroughly steam clean the old adobe brick rooms. Some complained about the smell. I have found the same smell in an 800 dollar a night stone concept suite in Dallas. Closed natural stone rooms get musky and cleaning staff will get use to the smell and not notice it.

Expanding an all inclusive package would give guest a better ability to budget the actually cost of their stay.

My personal pet peeve is they allowed children in the bar which I find inappropriate. Most of the children in the bar seemed to be there because of the big screen TV and lounging chairs, not because they wanted a Vodka Collins or to gaze and the 6 foot picture over the bar of a semi nude woman. A children’s activity room with TVs, games and computers would be a great addition to the property!

And finally, take full advantage of the uniqueness of Big Bend by organizing and promoting annually recurring trail rides, horse clinics and sales, hunts and golf tournaments that allow guest to plan well in advance when they can schedule vacations to take advantage of well organized events that suite their individual activities and allow them to socialize with others from across the nation with similar interests.

Lajitas and Big Bend in general, is a great destination for so many different outdoor enthusiasts. The RVer, Harley rider, mountain biker, hunter, painter, photographer, golfer and equine enthusiast will all find something to do there and the Lajitas Golf Resort and Spa is certainly the top facility in the area to use as base camp for so many different activities.

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Unfortunately the Lajitas resort makes a negative impression. I don’t think we’ll go back. It gives the impression of being managed by some faceless distant management company and engenders a “I don’t care attitude” by the employees. Everything is very overpriced and of second quality. There is no feeling of ownership by the employees and no impression that they want to go the extra distance for quality -- it’s just a job.

The restaurant is vastly overpriced and the food is second rate. We had the buffet for $24.95 and that’s about all it was -- a mediocre buffet for which you would have paid $12.95 elsewhere. Their enchiladas were $17 and nowhere near as good as our local mexican restaurant at $7.95. They even wanted $5 extra for chips and salsa. We actually stayed at the The RV park for two nights. It is also vastly overpriced. They tried to charge me $39/night although the registration form said $29-$35. I argued and they reduced it, after claiming raised rates for “high season.”

The maintenance personnel show up early in the morning and make noise - a leaf blower for 2-1/2 hours waking the whole campground at 8am. There are holes in the walls of the bathroom/showerooms from door knobs - not fixed and deposits in the showers. I’m sure the personnel are doing a good job - but it’s just that - a job for some faceless employer, rather than “our resort” and “we’re happy to see you here.” It was interesting to here this echoed by Lajitas locals after we broached the complaints.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
SMStevens, General Manager at Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Dear Jonathan D, thank you for taking the time to share your observations during your visit to the Big Bend region. It appears that you have stayed in the area before and where disappointed , but enjoyed our resort the most in the area which we were glad to hear! At least 80% of our guests are repeat visitors that have stayed with us 4 to 5 times for the rustic beauty, and the warm hospitality of our West Texas residents. I apologize your experience with our Team was not that of what most of our guests have enjoyed during their visits to us. Allot of our guests know most of our staff by name, as the majority of the Team has been here from 34 years to 10 years! Which we are very proud of as you can imagine. We do hope you will reconsider and return to the Big Bend again in the future, we would love to see you!
katy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

My family and I spent Thanksgiving at Lajitas. There were 13 of us. I am writing from my experience alone. I live in a very ugly, flat, city area so when I got to Lajitas my spirit was in a state of shock over the scenery. I was in awe of the beauty of the ruggedness. Words are so lacking to describe it...BREATHTAKING comes to mind. The entire look and feel of the resort goes hand in hand with the landscape. The rustic casualness of the whole place made me feel welcome and at home and at ease. Everyone on the staff was extremely friendly and personable and helpful. Every time I thanked someone, they thanked me in return. We ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner there every night except for one dinner. The food was "ok", the service was very slow due to what seemed like very few staff. We definitely went through the entire menu. The Thirsty Goat had the same problem with slowness and not enough staff. How I missed your bakery, I do not know , but I did unfortunately. What most of my family can't stop talking about is not the "what" but the "WHO". O.K. and Kathy. Two gems in the rough and rugged. We met them starting with skeet shooting, Saw them at the Thanksgiving dinner. They were our guides on the trail ride and lastly, they gave my boys the ok to shoot up the western town. These two "made" our trip. They "made" our adventures. They are a very unique pair and I am so glad to have met them and to have spent time with them. Thank you so very much Kathy and O.K. for everything. My 10 yr old son said that when he's a dad he's going to bring his son back to ride with Kathy and shoot with O.K.. I just smiled and told him that would be awesome. We did the scenic tour of the golf course by golf cart , the Longhorn Museum, and a canoe trip. The guides on the canoe trip were every bit as nice and helpful as the staff at the resort. They catered to my mother and that was a huge help and relief. All I can hope for is to be in a position in the future so that I can return. Just a few suggestions...more staff on a holiday; a larger food selection; and a second large mirror in the guest rooms. In conclusion, this was a once in a lifetime trip to never be forgotten thanks to my parents, The Stephens. That I shared this with all my boys is PRICELESS !!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
SMStevens, General Manager at Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear keri t,
We remember your beautiful family and the fact you spent Thanksgiving with us here in Lajitas in the Big Bend region meant so much to our team! The rugged beauty of the area for so many of our guests is breathtaking and calming which makes for a relaxing getaway from big city congestion. That and our arrray of outdoor adventures from OK and Kathy's equine expertise( they can turn anyone into a root'in, shoot'in cowboy in a couple of days). Our guests love them!! And as you experienced the beauty of our Black Jack's Crossing championship golf course is amazing out here overlooking the mountains and desert, now known as one of the top rated courses in Texas ! Thank you for sharing your observations, yes, our Resort was very popular during Thanksgiving and we did need more staff in the restaurant areas which we will next year. As well we will look into adding another mirror in the guestroom bathrooms in the room type you stayed in, we appreciate your suggestions! On behalf of the Lajitas Team we invite you and all of the Stephens' family to return soon!
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

What a wonderful vacation. The golf course is gorgeous. We stayed in the Ambush Cabin and could have enjoyed it more. The bakery is amazing so don't miss out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
SMStevens, General Manager at Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2012
Dear McKinneyTraveler,
Our Black Jack's Crossing championship golf course is gorgeous !! We have hundreds of guests who travel to our Resort to enjoy both the beauty and the challenge of playing our course that is surrounded by the majestic beauty of the Big Bend mountains and desert. Many of our golf guests say there is no
better golf course in Texas! Our bakery, is manned by Licha our baker for the last 28 years,homemade cinnnamon buns,scones, apple tunrovers hot out of the oven, great place to start your morning before you hit the golf course ! Our Team is happy you enjoyed your visit, we hope you'll return soon we'll make sure we keep a blueberry scone in the oven for you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa during Xmas holidays. There were some goods and bads.....

They checked us in but forgot to get my ID copy. After getting my ID, we got a call from the front desk saying they couldn't find our reservation and checked us in by mistake. Luckily I can get on internet and pulled out my reservation confirmation. The person who talked to me was very polite and told me that it's purely their fault. He did ask me to stop by the front desk the next morning to get things straighten out though. Although we were pretty sure this is the hotel we booked, we started to wonder - did we check into the wrong hotel since there's no sign saying Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa when we drove in.... Anyway, next morning, I stopped by the front desk and they said they are working on it and nothing to worry about unless I really want to know what happened - which I couldn't care less.

In addition to the reservation issue, one thing that's not as pleasant was - there's a yellow rim on the toilet. I thought it would at least be cleaned out the next day - it didn't. Since it's not that big of a deal, I didn't complain to them. I believe they would've taken care of it if I did.

So, here are the goods:

1. Lajitas resort has very beautiful mountain and courtyard views.
2. The drive from Lajitas to Presideio is rated one of the most scenic drive in the U.S.; It is really worth driving. We didn't go all the way to Presidio but the 25 miles from Lajitas was very beautiful.
3. Nice customer service - staffs were polite & my husband forgot his big map in the room after checked out, he called and the staff immediately located it and put it in the front desk for us to pick up.

Over all, I think the goods outweight the bads. We had a good time over there.

Victoria, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

I have a home in Lajitas, have been coming to Lajitas for 30 years. My mom and dad built their vacation home on Commanche Mesa.

One of the Restaurant waitresses, RENEE, has been at Lajitas for over 20 years. We always try to get seated at a table that she takes care of. Renee one of the most delightful, caring and courteous persons I have ever had wait on me. Be sure you ask for Renee when you go to the restaurant to eat.

Tommy S.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
SMStevens, General Manager at Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
tommy s, thank you so much for sharing how great our Renee is here at the Lajitas Resort !
We could not agree more, she is our "restaurant angel" always taking care of everyone with a
big smile and a sincere desire to make sure our customers are happy when they are visiting our Candelilla Restaurant. She goes out of her way daily to give her best and that's why she has been Employee of the Month so many times I can't count in the last 20 years! I will share this with her, as
it will "make her day ". So thank you from Renee and hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Enjoyed my stay at Lajitas Golf Resort and Spa. Great and friendly staff. Great service and clean rooms. Plenty of activities. I participated in Horseback riding, {You can ride the trails by horseback once traveled by Comanche Indians and see historical corrals the Indians used to the keep their horses}, skeet, atv tours, etc. It was a great opportunity to learn about desert plants and animals. Great fun and attentive staff. Located on 27000 acres. Beautiful countryside and moutains. Located between Big Bend National park and Big Bend Sate park. Stayed in Officer Quaters overlooking golf couse, Rio Grande river corridor and the beautiful Mexican mountains. The resort looks like an old western town. The resort may seem out of the way, but that is part of the adventure and well worth the trip.
Thirsty Goat Saloon, cafe, and Activities center staff were friendly and personal.

Some coworkers were afraid to go there because it was so close to Mexican border and felt that it was not safe. I found the resort to be safe. Border Patrol was present throughout area.
Up the road is the ghost town of Terlingua which also hosts activities. Lajitas Resort also has a Rv park which has the beautiful backdrop of mountains.
I took an air tour in a Cessna 205 which flew over the Rio Grand river, Big Bend National Park, Big Bend State Park and the Devil's Playground where NASA trained astronauts for the lunar landing using the space buggy. The arieal views were awesome. You could see the remains of the quicksilver mines now abandon and the old stagecoach lines which traveled between Lajitas and Marfa. I also took the senic drive between Lajitas and Presidio, Texas which winds along the Rio Grande River. The scenery was just breath taking.

I would definitely recommend Lajitas golf Resort and Spa.

Special appreciation and thanks goes to Yessenia and Leo for their for their great hospitality, service and kindness.

Room Tip: Packages and government rates available. There is a variety of lodging available, cottages, condo...