“Amazing Location & Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Otium

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volterra
Villa Otium
Podere Colombaia | San Cipriano, 56048 Volterra, Italy   |
Ranked #9 of 26 Volterra B&B and Inns
Columbus, Ohio
“Amazing Location & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I had an amazing stay at Villa Otium with my husband in April 2010. The location is just outside of Volterra and it was very easy to find and go back and forth to Volterra as much as we wanted. The room was very nice – they had a hair dryer for me (a must!) and wifi access as well.

The best part was the amazing views of the countryside from the property. One afternoon we drank a few bottles of wine waiting for the sun to set. We were rewarded with one of the most spectacular sunsets!

We also ate at the Villa one night and the food and service was excellent.

I would highly recommend a stay at Villa Otium!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

when we arrived at this beautiful setting three of our group was under the weather. It could not have been a better setting to relax and rest. We were early so our rooms were not ready but they welcomed us just the same. Maurizza , I hope I have her name right, made us a special soup and herbal tea for us. They both went out of their way to make us comfortable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Villa Otium and were very pleased with the service, food and location. Giulio, Maurizza (and Matteu) provided warm, friendly service starting the moment we pulled up to the place. The first thing they asked us is whether we were hungry - we said yes and within moments were sitting outside at a table with cheese, meats and a bottle of their house red wine enjoying the sunshine and beautiful views.
Maurizza's cooking is wonderful. Make sure to try the traditional Tuscan soup and the rolled meat with cheese and vegetables inside. About 4km outsside of the walled city of Volterra, Villa Otium was close enough to be a convenient drive but far enough to feel secluded and still offer beautiful sunset views of the rolling hills and surrounding countryside.
The room we had (Pino) was spacious and clean but just a little dark so we asked for another lamp and got it- no problem.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

We have a 1 year old baby and were in a large group of people who went to stay at Villa Otium just this last week. There was also 2 other babies with us; an 11 month old and 18 month old. We had the most fantastic family holiday! The babies had a wonderful time, as it's a really family friendly place. I would recommend getting an apartment if you are travelling with small children, as there's more room and it doesn't cost very much more. That's what we're going to do next time! The food was fantastic. The home-made olive oil is to die for! The guys that run the villa are just lovely and more than happy to clean baby bottles and heat up milk for us (which they were doing about a million times a day!). They speak great English. My husband spent every evening in the bar socialising with the owners and had a fantastic time (I prefered going to bed early and getting up early). I have to say we didn't hear much noise from our room. We couldn't even hear the noise from the bar downstairs, but we weren't directly above it. If you're a light sleeper perhaps it's probably best to request a room that's not directly above the bar. Our baby's quite a light sleeper and she had no trouble sleeping. We could hear the odd person if they were talking in the hall, but that's about it. The Villa's about a two minute drive from Volterra, which is a fantactic small town, which is almost unspoiled by tourists. The local people still shop there and you will find a long line of locals at the butchers waiting to buy the local produce! It's also within an hour's drive to Pisa and just over an hour to Florence, but we honestly couldn't be bothered to drive there with a small child (and I've been before), so we just hung out at the villa and took trips into Volterra. I thouroughly recommend this as an economical holiday (Ryanair flies to Pisa) and we're already planning a trip back!!! So, to the lovely guys at Villa Otium SEE YOU SOON(ish)!!!

• Liked — That it was a newly rennovated old building
  • Disliked — Would have preferred one of the apartments, but they were taken (by my sister on honeymoon and my dad, what can you do???)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

Referring to the comment below the “Worst hotel I've ever stayed in”, contrary to their comments, I think Villa Otium is a wonderful place, quite cheap compared the other B&B in the area. It is situated in an astonishing countryside 5 minutes from Volterra, a city located in the middle of Tuscany. The owners have been really welcoming and friendly with me as with my children. It is true what they say on their website, Villa is “a very friendly relaxing home”. If you stop for dinner you’ll pay an honest price for a delicious and delightful cuisine accompanied by good wine. If you want some company at the bar the owners are always willing to keep you entertained for a few hours, probably offering you something to drink. Everything the B&B offers is what I expect when I got on holiday. Villa Otium is what I call a five stars service.

Have an experience at Villa Otium at all costs!

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

Hi!!!
My name is Eleonora and I've been living in Paris for a number of years.
It's a long time since I returned to Italy for a vacation but during the August my boyfriend and I spent some marvelous days at Villa Otium!!!
Villa Otium is situated in a position from which it's possible to see a magnificent sunset while drinking a very nice glass of wine.
Furthermore, the staff are extremely pleasant and the atmosphere of Villa Otium is very friendly.
I also found them very competent with regards to both food and wine and would strongly recommend the restaurant, which is good and reasonably priced!
Additionally I greatly appreciated the sporting possibilities - specifically the opportunity to borrow a bicycle from Villa Otium.
In short, I must say, I spent some splendid days in this mansion and I keenly await my next opportunity to escape from France and return to the quiet tranquility of Villa Otium!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

An unbelievably bad experience. When we complained about the noise from the bar at 2am (the owner had friends round), the owner responded by turning the music up. One of the staff later threw stones at our bedrooom window. At breakfast we were ignored by the staff. Things then went from bad to worse when we went to pay the bill. We said we weren't willing to pay for the night in question, so the staff member walked off. When I asked him what he was doing he said he would deal with us in an "hour or two". Finally the owner came out and accused us of not being polite enough when we complained about the noise the night before.

Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Villa Otium? Share your experiences!