“A fantastic family holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Villa Otium
Podere Colombaia | San Cipriano, 56048 Volterra, Italy   |
Ranked #10 of 25 Volterra B&B and Inns
Stavanger, Norway
“A fantastic family holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

We have a 1 year old baby and were in a large group of people who went to stay at Villa Otium just this last week. There was also 2 other babies with us; an 11 month old and 18 month old. We had the most fantastic family holiday! The babies had a wonderful time, as it's a really family friendly place. I would recommend getting an apartment if you are travelling with small children, as there's more room and it doesn't cost very much more. That's what we're going to do next time! The food was fantastic. The home-made olive oil is to die for! The guys that run the villa are just lovely and more than happy to clean baby bottles and heat up milk for us (which they were doing about a million times a day!). They speak great English. My husband spent every evening in the bar socialising with the owners and had a fantastic time (I prefered going to bed early and getting up early). I have to say we didn't hear much noise from our room. We couldn't even hear the noise from the bar downstairs, but we weren't directly above it. If you're a light sleeper perhaps it's probably best to request a room that's not directly above the bar. Our baby's quite a light sleeper and she had no trouble sleeping. We could hear the odd person if they were talking in the hall, but that's about it. The Villa's about a two minute drive from Volterra, which is a fantactic small town, which is almost unspoiled by tourists. The local people still shop there and you will find a long line of locals at the butchers waiting to buy the local produce! It's also within an hour's drive to Pisa and just over an hour to Florence, but we honestly couldn't be bothered to drive there with a small child (and I've been before), so we just hung out at the villa and took trips into Volterra. I thouroughly recommend this as an economical holiday (Ryanair flies to Pisa) and we're already planning a trip back!!! So, to the lovely guys at Villa Otium SEE YOU SOON(ish)!!!

• Liked — That it was a newly rennovated old building
  • Disliked — Would have preferred one of the apartments, but they were taken (by my sister on honeymoon and my dad, what can you do???)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

Referring to the comment below the “Worst hotel I've ever stayed in”, contrary to their comments, I think Villa Otium is a wonderful place, quite cheap compared the other B&B in the area. It is situated in an astonishing countryside 5 minutes from Volterra, a city located in the middle of Tuscany. The owners have been really welcoming and friendly with me as with my children. It is true what they say on their website, Villa is “a very friendly relaxing home”. If you stop for dinner you’ll pay an honest price for a delicious and delightful cuisine accompanied by good wine. If you want some company at the bar the owners are always willing to keep you entertained for a few hours, probably offering you something to drink. Everything the B&B offers is what I expect when I got on holiday. Villa Otium is what I call a five stars service.

Have an experience at Villa Otium at all costs!

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

Hi!!!
My name is Eleonora and I've been living in Paris for a number of years.
It's a long time since I returned to Italy for a vacation but during the August my boyfriend and I spent some marvelous days at Villa Otium!!!
Villa Otium is situated in a position from which it's possible to see a magnificent sunset while drinking a very nice glass of wine.
Furthermore, the staff are extremely pleasant and the atmosphere of Villa Otium is very friendly.
I also found them very competent with regards to both food and wine and would strongly recommend the restaurant, which is good and reasonably priced!
Additionally I greatly appreciated the sporting possibilities - specifically the opportunity to borrow a bicycle from Villa Otium.
In short, I must say, I spent some splendid days in this mansion and I keenly await my next opportunity to escape from France and return to the quiet tranquility of Villa Otium!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

An unbelievably bad experience. When we complained about the noise from the bar at 2am (the owner had friends round), the owner responded by turning the music up. One of the staff later threw stones at our bedrooom window. At breakfast we were ignored by the staff. Things then went from bad to worse when we went to pay the bill. We said we weren't willing to pay for the night in question, so the staff member walked off. When I asked him what he was doing he said he would deal with us in an "hour or two". Finally the owner came out and accused us of not being polite enough when we complained about the noise the night before.

Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Villa Otium? Share your experiences!