“Really enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Volterra
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from June 22-26 as part of Riveria Group booking. Good size, spotlessly clean room with air conditioning, which we used as weather was hot.We enjoyed all the dinners which were well served, a mixture of Italian and international. All were hot and serving arrangments were well organised to such a large group plus non-group guests.We had breakfast on the terrace. Drinks are expensive however.Pool was excellent with plenty of sunbeds and fluffy towels. View from terrace of Tuscan countryside is superb.Both lovely places to relax. Staff friendly and efficient. There is also a jacuzzi, sauna and indoor lounge which we did not have cause to use.15 minute steep walk to lovely town of Volterra(short cut don't walk along the road) but there is a bus which goes every hour in the daytime if walking is difficult for you.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of pool and countryside or ground floor with a patio.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ParkHotelLeFonti, Direttore at Park Hotel le Fonti, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Susan S,
thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday at our hotel, I hope you will come back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Biddulph, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here as part of a Riviera travel experience of Tuscany. The hotel is situated in the hills of Volterra, giving lots of absolutely stunning views.

The rooms were spacious, clean, tidy and comfy. They had two lifts to be used as well as stairs if wanted.

We stayed on a half board basis.
The breakfast started at half seven. To me this means all food should be out by half seven, however, eggs, sausage and croissants sometimes did not come out until we were half way through eating. Start breakfast at eight if you cannot get stuff ready in time! Also we felt the choice very limited, there was no bacon, small cakes, only two choices of cereal, no waffles, pancakes or range of breads. For a four star hotel I feel the choice was too limited. Although, I did enjoy what I ate!
Ate tea time, we had to order the evening before. However, you only had two choices, being either meat or fish. I cannot eat fish because I am allergic, meaning I had to have the meat dish. Luckily most of the time I liked the choices, as I am not a fussy eater. For others, especially with children this may have been a problem.
Also, as we were with Riviera they asked us to come to tea at a specific time. It was really too late for me to eat and would have enjoyed it more with an earlier time.

The pool area was good and clean. No need to get up at 6 to reserve a sunbed!

All in all a good hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the ground floor, as this means a disabled room that has not got a proper show...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear emma s,
thank you for your review.
Eggs, sausage and croissants for breakfast are freshly prepared so that they are always hot, I am sorry you had to wait for them.
Anyway I am pleased that in spite of some details you have spent a nice holiday at our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pleasant enough hotel. It is well worth paying a little extra to get a room with a terrace. Fair sized room. If you like a pool this one is lovely. very big with loads of sunbeds and is very quiet in the daytime as most guests are touring. While we were there there were a couple of coach parties but it was not a problem. The hotel is ideally situated for the lovely town of Volterra, although it is a steep climb up. Very friendly pleasant staff, especially a really smiley one called Valerina. The food is OK and the views are great. Loads of parking. The owner and his family are often there an he was very nice. On the downside it was 30 to 40 euros more than the last hotel we stayed in which was better so that makes it a bit pricy.

Room Tip: Get a room with a terrace
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear bosshogg22,
thank you for your review, I am glad that you had a good time at our hotel.
If you come back to visit us will be a pleasure for us to apply a discount of 10% on the price of your room.
falmouth, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We travelled with Trek Travel and had wonderful accommodations up to this point. The hotel states they offer wifi, however don't be fooled. It is offered in select lobby spots and moves slower than dial up once did. The original room was large and sparsely furnished yet the air conditioning did not work. After two calls and three hours we were moved. The new room had AC that worked but the toilet and shower didn't work properly.

For the most part every hotel we stayed in exceeded our expectations and we stayed in 7 hotels, this was the exception.

The view from both rooms was amazing and it truly was amazing from anywhere. This is the bright spot!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pool and make sure you have AC if it is warm when you travel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ParkHotelLeFonti, Direttore at Park Hotel le Fonti, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear tammy k,
thank you for your review.
We offer wi-fi connection free of charge but for the moment it do not reach all of the rooms and for this reason we advertise only the connection in the lobby.
We are sorry that you had problem with your room and you did not appreciate our hotel, we hope that anyway you have enjoyed your tour.
Penkridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

...here is my opinion. We stayed here as part of the Riviera Tour back in mid May. I echo most of previous reviews with regards the amazing view if you are lucky enough to be overlooking the pools. I can only feel sorry for those that were roomed at the back of the hotel but it`s pot luck if you are part of a tour group, the management cannot be blamed for that. The room we were in was adequate insomuch as it was pretty basic but very clean. It was a bit too cold to sample the pool but i bet it`s great in summer, we enjoyed the jaccuzzi though, very nice. We had very little to do with the staff but they were very courteous with us. Breakfast was, again, adequate, plenty of choice really though very little that resembled a "full English", but ,then again, you are abroad! C`mon folks! Evening meals were pretty poor in my opinion I must agree with the majority on here. On reflection I suppose there was a fair bit of time between courses, I didn`t think about it at the time but we were lucky enough to be seated with a good group of people and the conversation and banter probably distracted us enough not to notice. Although the last night was extremely long and we all noticed that.
If you are thinking of doing the Riviera tour I would highly recommend it. Bare in mind you have to be reasonably fit as there is a fair bit of walking. The coach can only drop you so close to the attractions and I would imagine when it is really hot that it would be quite arduous. All in all though a great trip and well done Riviera Travel!

Room Tip: A pool view is required to see the beautiful countryside beyond!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear desiwulf,
thank you for your review.
We are happy that you have been lucky with the room and we are sorry for all those who do not have been, unfortunately we cannot assign all the rooms with view if not booked and the assignement is random.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Like other guests on the Riviera holiday we fond the setting of the Hotel fantastic, the Pool must have the over 1 hour for our best views of any Pool anywhere the Hotel is clean and some of the staff are friendly although not all of them.
I understand that this is the first time the Hotel have offered Evening Meal as part of the package I therefore, would have assumed that they and Riviera would have wanted this to be of good standard and Ime afraid that it sadly did not meet my expectations of 4 star food. The choice was very limited and didnt seem to have any links to Tuscan traditional food. We were not offered an option to mix and match between the two Menus and even though we chose in advance we were kept waiting for over an hour for our Main Course on the final night and when the Desert arrived I had to insist that they were all changed on our table as they were still frozen!!!!!!!!! The cooked Breakfast was a dismal affair and on the whole the food did not meet the standards our Rep would have us believe. If you are booking this Hotel book B & B there are good places to eat in the Town......

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JanMarriott,
thank you for your review.
We are sorry you did not like the food, we can assure you that our efforts to improve never end and we are sure if you come back you will appreciate them.
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travelled with a friend as part of a Riviera group who were in Volterra from 14th–18th June. My stay was thoroughly enjoyable. The setting is beautiful and facilities such as swimming pool and Jacuzzi very welcoming. Despite our group being 50 people I thought the staff did their utmost to please their guests. I enjoyed the food immensely. There was a good choice for breakfast including fresh fruit salad every morning. In the evening guests could mix and match from the two menus (one fish, one meat) and each course was very tasty and always hot. I personally didn’t mind choosing from the menu the evening before; knowing what I was going to eat didn’t spoil the experience at all. Staff put themselves out to allow some of us to eat on the terrace the last two evenings. Serving a group of 50 plus other guest means there will inevitably be some waiting time, but what better way to spend an evening than sitting in the warmth with a beautiful view getting to know new people?
Travelling with a friend meant sharing a room and the room was fine for our needs. My friend had asked for a room with a view and that is what we got.
Volterra itself is a lovely city situated up the hill from the hotel. Sharing a taxi to get up there is not too expensive and there is also a bus service. I chanced my arm, or rather my legs, to walk back down to the hotel and made it with only one error (I think!).
I would certainly return there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jenny T,
thank you for your review, we are proud to have provided you a thoroughly enjoyable experience!
We look forward to welcoming back you!

Been to Park Hotel le Fonti? Share your experiences!