“A room with a view .” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 24 hotels in Volterra
Wales
“A room with a view .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I read some of the reviews on this hotel before we travelled.We stayed for 4 nights with A guided holiday firm.Regarding The staff ,they were ok.Yes the coffee is dire,as mentioned in previous reviews,we asked for cappuccinos every morning,sorted!The room we had(324) overlooked the pool,brilliant view,no verandah unfortunately ,to sit outside.Bring your own tea making facilities if you like your own cuppa!Clean towels every day,big plus from wife that.There is a small safe in the room for your passport and money,not big enough for an IPad or Laptop.Free Wifi,with a good signal.TV had Sky news,should you want to watch the box on Holliday.The room had an adjoining door,locked,but you could hear people in the other room,thankfully they were quiet.A very nice Dining room,where we had our
Continental breakfast,help yourself,though tea and coffee was brought to you by a waiter.All food ready cooked,scrambled egg ,boiled and fried,the usual cold meats,cereals,yogurts a bit runny,not a hit with the wife,otherwise food generally ok.Didnt dine in,ate out every night,village has plenty of good restaurants.there is the hill problem though,as mentioned in other reviews,very steep,even for a Welshman,used to hills!!!
You can get a bus,but the hotel does have a minibus which charges 20Euros one way,for 8 of us it worked out 2.5 Euros.There are minor things like worn out carpets in the Reception area,bar closed at 12 pm,and food during the daytime not being available at this time of year,as mentioned in previous reviews,not sure about the 4 star rating criteria on that?Anyway,summing up,not a bad hotel,could do better in some areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view,the other side of the hotel overlooks the carpet,all are quiet for a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkHotelLeFonti, Direttore vendite at Park Hotel le Fonti, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Dreamboy,
thank you for your honest review, we are happy that you had a pleasant stay, we will try to improve the American coffee, however, I also prefer the cappuccino. we have communicating rooms very suitable for families during the summer, we will try to put insulation performance in these rooms. Upon request we Transfer service, very effective if you are traveling as a group to reach the historical center of Volterra. Unfortunately, at this time you can not enjoy a lot of outdoor hotel (Park, swimming pool ...) although Volterra hides her very own charm now. Visit it and you will realize why! But the view is now much more beautiful than during the summer, with the cold air is more rarefied and will soon be able to see the mountains of Corsica whitewashed!

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Malvern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed in this hotel from 15th to 19 th September and thought it was excellent. The hotel is about 15 minutes down from the town and the views are just stunning. It seemed well appointed and the reception staff were friendly and helpful during our stay. We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening, but in town with friends, so cannot comment on the menu. However, breakfast was very good and the staff were efficient and friendly throughout. The room lived up to expectation and was light with a hill view. There is no shortage of eating places in the town for the more adventurous.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side of the hotel overlooking the pool have a fantastic view over the valley though the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkHotelLeFonti, Direttore vendite at Park Hotel le Fonti, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear MalcolmH65,
Thanks for the review, Volterra offers spectacular views and in the winter months is even more fun wandering around in the small streets full of atmosphere is very impressive, after all it is the city of the Volturi!
Among the many restaurants of the old town there are some really good (In October and November is easy to found white truffle and wild mushroom from our forest), they offer quality and reasonable prices, this is what the most of the people want to Tuscany change locations frequently and not squandered a salary. The smaller countries such as Volterra offer just that opportunity. You only have to choose the right places. Thank you for your good review made ​​sure that all the staff will appreciate a lot, I still remember returning from us will be entitled to a discount of 10% on this stay. Thanks again best regards.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I thought this was a lovely hotel; the views from the terrace were a delight. The bedroom was what I would expect from a 4 star hotel - ditto for the breakfast menu. The daily set menu looked good and reasonably priced - I chose a la cart as my better half is a veggie (she can't help it) and was not disappointed. I can understand some of the comments re the staff but they were efficient and certainly not rude - all that they need to do is to learn how to smile even when some guests may not deserve one!

The walk up to the town is about 10 minutes but it is demanding as it is very steep

Room Tip: Go for the rooms fronting the pool, they may have a surcharge but the views of the country side are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkHotelLeFonti, Direttore vendite at Park Hotel le Fonti, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Joenorthumberland,
Thank you for your valuable review, we recently attacked by some customers' bothered by our service restaurant that is always the same for years, I'm sorry that define rude, we have solved some of the problems that occurred earlier this month, but now our standard is shared with enthusiasm, do not claim to be impeccable but not below standard, our restaurant uses first quality materials, our chefs selected ranging from international cuisine to the traditional recipes, the quality standard is indisputable and price of the menu of the day is € 28.00 for 4 courses. It 's true that in our work we constantly need motivation and maybe sometimes the attention can be lowered, but I think that respond to serious and objective review as its fills us with admiration and desire to continue. We are happy to see you again back here. Thanks again, best regards.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We were resident at the Hotel Fonti in a group from 10th Sept. The location was superb with fantastic views, the Reception was friendly which is far more than one could say for the Restaurant. The staff from the Maitre d' downwards were without any humour and at times down right rude. It seems they missed the classes on customer relations when at 'Waiter school.'

The should realise that if it were not for us the customer, they would not be in a job.

The food in the restaurant was good but on the chef's night off very badly presented.

Finally our bathroom was not tidied or cleaned during our four day stay. Not what one would expect from a four star hotel.

A lovely hotel that has to get its act together.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear John W,
We are sorry that the restaurant service has suspended all our work of the entire hotel, our Maitre Edward certainly did not want to offend you and I'm sorry that defines rude, is a professional with years of experience and service from us for years , maybe we will remember the smile more during the service. The staf restaurant knows that without you, dear guests, they would not work, in fact they work hard to be efficient and timely service in the dishes or breakfast in the morning.
With the hope that it will be able to raise its expectations of us will always be welcome to come back to us. Thanks and best regards.
Hamburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel is located right at the top of a hill with a great view from the pool. The outdoor restaurant uses this view too and has a great deal with it. The food there was alright but expensive. The room itself was very small and very dark. Nothing modern in it and even not that chraracteristic than it could be. Downstairs there was a pool party with the younger folks, not that nice for us.
The hotel itself can be a jewel but it needs to get used to that.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
I realize that our hotel is not comparable to the Boutique Hotel of many modern cities, with showy rooms and bright colors, not really. Our rooms, Tuscan-style (we are in Volterra), are very sober, however comfortable, with TV LED 19 ", minibar, safe. From our rooms, I do not feel dark, you have a wonderful view over the valley of the Val di Cecina, 20 km of unspoilt hills and small villages in the distance, if you were lucky enough to have the rooms with a view of why traveling in a group, you have the other rooms that overlook the main facade, which is still very large and you see a beautiful piece of valley. The daily menu changes daily with a menu of fish and one meat are 4 courses and costs only € 28.00, many people congratulated us for the excellent value for money, of course the prices of a la carte dishes are more expensive, and the average is around € 12.00 for first courses and € 15/18, 00 for main courses. The party which saw the pool was a wedding, not often organize weddings in the summer not to disturb the sleep quality, but this time the bride was one of our loyal customers and we could not please her, though at midnight and half the music was turned off and the guests had already left all, I personally checked the output stream. addition we are not at the top of the hill, is not accurate, up the hill is the city of Volterra, we are 500 meters from the center and from the top.
Northampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here at the beginning of September. We chose the hotel because it had 4 stars, had a pool and was located near to the old town. On first appearances the hotel was very tired and cluttered with plants and a naff goldfish tank on the bar, but the view from the pool was spectacular!

When we arrived we were made to feel like an inconvenience by the girl on the desk. On the way to the room there was a strong smell of bleach which intensified when you entered it. The room was clean and tidy with a view of the pool.
After reading the reviews of the restaurant we decided not to eat there. The only helpful member of staff (had a beard) told us where to eat in the old town, and he wasn't wrong (read my other reviews).
In the afternoon I asked the miserable waiter for a beer, 20 minutes later no beer. I went to the bar, no staff! I went to reception and asked if I could get my drink. She fetched the waiter who looked at me in the same way that 'Kevin' from 'Kevin and Perry' looked at his Dad when he asked him to do something! I eventually got the drink but didn't dare ask for another. At this point I'd like to point out that there was a maximum of 12 guests staying in the hotel.
At around 4pm I overheard a guest asked the waiter what there was to eat. The reply; 'the restaurant opens at 7”. It's a 4 star hotel, not a B&B!! There was a distinct lack of snack food.
Then the cyclists arrived.
Don't get me wrong, I am myself a cyclist, but at 6 o'clock in the morning an alarm went of as if it was next to my head. Turns out it was next door, but the walls are that thin you can hear everything. In fact when he went into the bathroom and his voice was amplified through the drains!!
When we went to check out another miserable member of staff served us and she only broke into smile when the credit card had been authorised!!
Which brings me to my final problem with this hotel. On returning to England I checked the bill (I know I should have done it there) and found that we had been charged 20 Euro for breakfast. I emailed Le Fonti, who sent back a scan of the ticket that I had allegedly signed. Of course It wasn't my signature, not even close. I asked if they could compare the signature on the other tickets and then refund the 20 Euro back to my card which they said No, they would only do a bank transfer, 'minus transfer expenses', thus I have to pay for their mistake, I work in retail, I know there's a refund button!
Now I've noticed that every good review of this hotel has been thanked by the owner, and every bad review has had a load of excuses thrown at. So readers, eventually the mud sticks!

It's a real shame, with a little bit of effort with customer service and maintenance this could easily be a 4 star hotel with it's location and facilities.

n.b. It's a steep hill into Volterra.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkHotelLeFonti, Direttore vendite at Park Hotel le Fonti, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear LollyandJor,
thank you for your review.
I am sorry that you did not like the goldfishes on the Bar, children really like them.
Our restaurant is not open 24-hour and the opening times are written both in information "newspaper" in the rooms and at the entrance of the restaurant. Out of these times, you can still eat salads, toasts, cheeses and cold cuts.
I saw that you talk very badly of our entire staff, but I assure you that they are paid even if guests do not pay, so I see out of place the smile at your card authorization.
After exchanging e-mails that we had, I still want answering to your main problem, the 20 euro of breakfast. As we told you to avoid things like that before printing the receipt we always give to guests the pro-forma asking to check it. Any human error can be solved and if the guests does not recognize a ticket as his we recheck, check with the staff and finally correct instantly. Since the customer gives us the ok to pro-forma, we print the receipt, receive the payment and the file is closed. Verify the signature on your tickets is difficult, all your signatures are scribbles, we cannot read neither a name nor an acronym.
In any case we wanted you to meet your request. Our POS is unable to make repayments so we would made a bank transfer net of expenses, we would paid 14 euro for our mistake and you 6 euro because of your carelessness.
But if your new problem is 6 euro please send us by e-mail your IBAN and we will send you all the 20 euro, paying us both the expenses and the damage you have done to the image of our hotel.
Fortunately, the guests are not all the same, those who have just arrived were laughing of your review with the receptionist. And they have not paid yet!
Sorry for my ignorance, but I was wondering..who are Kevin and Perry?

I cannot say you that we wait for you the next time, I know you will not come back, then I can only say that in any case, I am sorry that your stay at Park Hotel le Fonti was not pleasant, I hope you enjoyed staying elsewhere.

Sincerely.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start and end of a cycling tour of the region. Its just outside the city walls and you can walk into town in ten minutes (a steep climb but easily do-able if you have moderate fitness)The views from the hotel are beautiful and the pool area is lovely. We had upgraded rooms both nights which I'm not sure were worth it for the price. The junior suite had great views but was just a large room (very simple), the top floor suite looked over the car park at the back. The breakfasts were good and the food in the restaurant was excellent (although limited vegetarian choices). We stayed half board which was worth it as the restaurant is quite pricey. The wine list is expensive but the house wine is very decent quality. Our main concern with this hotel which otherwise has real potential is how unfriendly the staff in the restaurant are. Service is relatively efficient but simple requests were met with rolled eyes and it was impossible to get so much as a smile from people. It is set up as a rather formal restaurant but a welcome and a smile costs nothing and makes a huge difference to the overall experience of the hotel.
Volterra itself is a lovely town and well worth the visit. As we discovered everywhere in the region at this time of year, mosquito repellant is vital.

Room Tip: Request a pool view when booking
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkHotelLeFonti, Direttore vendite at Park Hotel le Fonti, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear A42,
We are sorry that the restaurant staff was rude to you. Unfortunately this is not the first report and we will ensure that this situation will change permanently. Sometimes the rudeness of a person penalizes the whole brigade and all the staf of the hotel. In the future we will ensure that does not happen again so embarrassing situations. Thanks again for reporting.

Been to Park Hotel le Fonti? Share your experiences!