“I will return” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Volterra
Bucharest
“I will return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel Nazionale is very conveniently located in an old palace, at the entrance of the city walls of Volterra, two steps away from the bus terminal and the Piazza dei Priori.
I was pleasantly surprised by the amiability of the staff: I wrote them to confirm my reservation and asked for a room with balcony (I am a smoker) and for an early check-in, and I got a positive answer on both in only a couple of hours.
I had room 310, at the 3rd floor (with elevator), the only floor were rooms had balconies. The view was magnificent; I could see from my balcony both the Palazzo dei Priori and the entire valley (Volterra is on top of a hill). The room was a spacious double that I had in single occupancy for 1 night, October 17/18, for 50 eur. Personnel was always nice, breakfast was standard continental.
I think the hotel was very nice, I recommend it to fellow travellers and I will go back for sure if visiting Volterra again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Giulio G, Proprietario at Albergo Nazionale, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank You so much for Your positive comment. My staff and me hope to welcome you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Loughborough
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The hotel is well situated in this beautiful town. The rooms were clean and well serviced each day. The breakfast was just about adequate but in the five days we were there, there was no fresh fruit or vegetables. The evening meals were inadequate and the climax came when we were presented with cheese on toast and chips for the main course. The following night it was seafood risotto followed by more fish with partially cold and overcooked tinned or frozen vegetables. We were not given the menu in advance and for the final three nights, it was not even on the table so there was no choice. We tried on two occasions to ask for a remote control for our television but there was no response so we were unable to watch the television.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Giulio G, Proprietario at Albergo Nazionale, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear guest,
I feel very sorry not to have been able to give You an happy experience . We really believe that dinner is a special moment during the holidays , and we always try to do our best . Cheese and toast you mention, is a typical dish, our local baked ewe's milk cheese. However, we are used to keep all comments in mind in order to improve . We hope welcome You again in the future.
Huntly, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

After visiting Volterra four years ago I was looking forward to rekindling my love for this place but it has gone to a bad start after eating here!!! Having arrived late on we had no reservations made so chose this on a whim - first mistake! We felt the staff really lacked any service as we waited quite a while for drinks (we had ordered bottle of water, bottle of wine and two cokes which surely for two of us should indicate we are thirsty!!) We chose from the menu two 'first course' pasta dishes (which granted were ok just basic, lasagne and a 'special' tagliatelle which was just pasta in a creamy mustroom sauce and not wild mushrooms at that!) For second courses I chose beef strips with salad with out the cheese and my husband a sirloin steak. We were then advised that the sirloin steak for my husband was 'massive' and so he relucantly opted for a smaller meal of beef in a sauce dish. Then he was advised to go for another dish and was told it was the same cut of beef as the sirloin steak and he could have it with mushrooms or cheese so chose the cheese. Imagine our surprise to see we both had the same dishes served up for our second course and both with cheese! We always like to order different so we can try two things! So we were a bit miffed but then found neither of us could enjoy it because the beef was cold and chewey with no taste to it whatsoever. I loved eating steak last time we were in Italy for it's flavour and texture yet this despite being 'medium' cooked as still pink was beyond awful. What was even more so disgusting was the service from the staff as surely giving back two full plates would again indicate how rubbish the meal had been but not once throughout the entire meal were we asked if it was ok and whether we wanted anything else. They clearly just get their money from tourist trade one offs and hotel guests but I for one would not eat there again. I found for what we had spending €58 was a rip off. Try elsewhere and avoid if you want a decent experience of proper tasty tuscan food and friendly staff as it's obvious you won't get it here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
htlnazionale, Manager at Albergo Nazionale, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We regret that You didn't appreciate our food. We accept all criticism in order to improve, even if they are very hard. . It's not easy to meet all tastes, but we really can grant that our staff, which also include young people with a great desire to do very well , is really attentive and qualified in their work.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Following a 3hr delay and mammoth ques at the airport to collect our car we half expected a closed up hotel on our arrival in volterra at 12.30am. The hotel staff new we where arriving a kept the doors open and welcomed us, even though usually they closed up at midnite. The hotels location was 2mins from a secure underground carpark priced at 11euros per 24hrs. The room we had was very spacious and cleaned everyday, new towels etc. a lovely balcony view out over Tuscany, we really couldn't ask for more . Breakfast was a Buffett self service continental style, perfectly adequate but nothing over the top. We only ate in the hotel on the last night but a three course dinner for around 15 euros was good value. Staff helped us with wine coolers in the room, tea and coffee cups in the room also. The limited English speaking staff didn't hinder us it just made us work harder to speak Italian, we loved it. Would I stay hear again ...a big Yes! Would I recommend it? Yes again. Trip advisor helped us choose so I hope my review helped you make the right decision.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank You for Your positive review. Review like yours give us the charge to go forward and improve.
Stavanger, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Note that no room's have AC, no way you can sleep in 37'C degrees. Extremely bad service, the whole hotel gave us bad feeling! We left after one hour. I would recommend another hotel! I hope that the hotel really chape up!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location and appears quite nice from the hotel lobby. If you receive one of the two front facing rooms they are not bad as you have air flow however the rest have one window facing a back alley that has sewage smell constantly throughout the day. The rooms get very hot and have nothing other than a bed.

I would not stay here again despite its great location. There are many other places nearby that offer this convenience without the bad service.

• Stayed July 2012
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed on 3rd floor with deck overlooking plaza and had a great stay. Parking garage was close by and made our visit very easy to access. Large older room was dated but clean and comfortable . Very reasonable price for location

Room Tip: Choose upper rooms to get plaza view