After visiting Volterra four years ago I was looking forward to rekindling my love for this place but it has gone to a bad start after eating here!!! Having arrived late on we had no reservations made so chose this on a whim - first mistake! We felt the staff really lacked any service as we waited quite a while for drinks (we had ordered bottle of water, bottle of wine and two cokes which surely for two of us should indicate we are thirsty!!) We chose from the menu two 'first course' pasta dishes (which granted were ok just basic, lasagne and a 'special' tagliatelle which was just pasta in a creamy mustroom sauce and not wild mushrooms at that!) For second courses I chose beef strips with salad with out the cheese and my husband a sirloin steak. We were then advised that the sirloin steak for my husband was 'massive' and so he relucantly opted for a smaller meal of beef in a sauce dish. Then he was advised to go for another dish and was told it was the same cut of beef as the sirloin steak and he could have it with mushrooms or cheese so chose the cheese. Imagine our surprise to see we both had the same dishes served up for our second course and both with cheese! We always like to order different so we can try two things! So we were a bit miffed but then found neither of us could enjoy it because the beef was cold and chewey with no taste to it whatsoever. I loved eating steak last time we were in Italy for it's flavour and texture yet this despite being 'medium' cooked as still pink was beyond awful. What was even more so disgusting was the service from the staff as surely giving back two full plates would again indicate how rubbish the meal had been but not once throughout the entire meal were we asked if it was ok and whether we wanted anything else. They clearly just get their money from tourist trade one offs and hotel guests but I for one would not eat there again. I found for what we had spending €58 was a rip off. Try elsewhere and avoid if you want a decent experience of proper tasty tuscan food and friendly staff as it's obvious you won't get it here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Nazionale is situated in an antique palace since 1890. Thanks to our great central position, you can visit wonderful Volterra easily on foot. We offer 38 rooms all of them with private bathroom with all necessary amenities, a telephone and a TV. . Spend an original and pleasant stay in one of our rooms. All the rooms are provided with the free Wi-Fi internet access.A lovely Restaurant can be found inside. Here, you can enjoy great Tuscan cuisine prepared with nothing but the freshest and most genuine ingredients , combined with an excellent wine selection. The restaurant is made up of an ample dining room that can host up to 110 people, making it particularly adaptable for weddings, ceremonies, official work or group dinners.If You're travelling by bike, You can store it inside the Hotel. If You're travelling by bus,We stand 50 meters in front of the main bus stop. If You arrive by motorcycle, You can park in public places outside the building.To reach easly the Hotel by car, follow Pizza Martiri della Liberta and enter this adress in Your sat nav system. You can park Your car in the close secure public garage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo and Booking.com so you can book your Albergo Nazionale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergo Nazionale Volterra
- Albergo Nazionale Hotel Volterra