“Not What We Expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Volterra
Minneapolis
“Not What We Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

My husband and I did an 18 day vacation in Italy and France this past September. We spent two nights at Fattoria Lischeto. We chose Fattoria Lischeto because of its location, great food reviews on agristurismo websites and because their website made the place look fabulous. We fully expected this place to be amazing. I started crying when we got there because it was such a disappointment.

This place is a working farm. I guess I didn’t realize that meant that there would be dogs and cats with matted fur running all over the property. I also didn’t expect all of the flies. Flies landed on myself and my food constantly. It was gross.

The room was very simple. It was dark and sparse. The bedding was very simple. There were two scratchy sandpaper bath towels. There was a small kitchenette but no soap or dish towels. There was a broken fan in our room and the staff did not replace it after 3 requests on the first night. We had a very hot first overnight. We requested again on the second day for the fan to be replaced and they did replace it. The upside to the room was that I thought it was clean and it had hot water.

The pool seemed nice, but we didn’t bring pool towels. The staff didn’t seem happy to see us, they lacked in customer service.

The dinners that we ate each night were AWESOME! The wine was DELICIOUS. The fantastic people that we met at the agriturismo definitely made up for the disappointing accommodations. The sunsets were beautiful.

Their website advertises hot air balloon rides. I emailed them about two weeks before our arrival and asked if we could have this arranged. They never replied to my email.

I would not recommend this place. I am sorry. Even though in the end we had a delightful time because we met such nice people that were staying there and because the evening meal was so delicious, it didn’t make up for the lack of hospitality and the very simple accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with outside windows.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
lischeto, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Fattoria Lischeto, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Amanda,
At first I would like to thank you for your review, even I don’t understand if it’s good or bad. Also I read that you spent a great time here with us: our guest, the landscape and the sunset have your stay pleasant.
I am very sorry that you cried just arrived, but and I would like to make it clear, that we do not force anyone to stay if a place is not that place of personal expectation; there is no obligation to stay.
I can completely assure you, that our website fully reflects us: photos, place and the people who work here there are also those that you have actually found, right?
Amanda, we are a farm where there are people that plow, sow and cultivate the fields. Collect the olives in season and lead every day to pasture our 1000 sheep! It is true, we have animals. Our animals and those of our guests are free to move about the farm. Do you can imagine how nice is it to see a child to play with them!! You have only seen dogs and cats matted? Do you know that there is also Orazio, our everybody’s darling donkey? Chickens, turkeys, sheep and lambs, pigs and pigles, Hoopoe that sing you a night song and last, but not last, the deer that runes through the fields.
The delicious dinner you’ve had, and of this we are very proud, all this product’s that you have eaten are ours, form our farm! The cheese that you had as starter, was made from the milk of our sheep! Fresh ricotta for breakfast was from our farm as well! And I would like to mention our fresh pasta with our grain, meat, vegetables and the dessert! I’m sorry for your disappointment, but can you explain to me how you could have this delicious dinner if we were not a farm?
Excuse us for the flies but what we can do with them? It’s nature. Do you know that before your arrival, we planned a remedy once a month: we did the spraying in the night. Of course the natural way because we are organic.
In August a French family did not like this and left gone away in the half holiday…. So, what we can do?
Yes, it’s true, this summer has been too hot! We ask you sorry if you have found a broken fan, we have already wasted those, so another guest does not have this discomfort. Excuse us if our staff seems boring and impolite to you. All of us are here for you with a big pleasure. You said that those two days of your staying in our Farm Holiday have been chaotic for us? I don’t know and probably cannot justificate it. I again checked your emails and I can assure you that I didn’t received that mail in witch you ask me of balloon flights. This belong to one of our service that we propose to our guest, would be foolish not to answer, isn’t? Our rooms are simple: they are green building, are bio furnished and colored with non toxic paints. Also it is true that we don’t have table clots, soaps in the kitchen or dish towels; as well we don’t have pool towels for the pool area (but all you can ask and it is a pleasure for us to help you as far we can do it). There never been air-condition or TV. Yes, we are a working farm, with animals, surrounded by Calanchi and crags of Volterra, we are an organic farm, we have a nice sunset and a good wine, we use renewable energy and we love the nature. But we are also what you didn’t want from your holiday. Maybe a holiday in the city would satisfy you more. I believe there are not cats and dogs matted and perhaps not even the flies. Perhaps.
One of our strengths are also the comments of our guest, and of course we can not always be behind of everybody as we would like to follow… to make it better or to fill this problem, it’s need that if a person has a problem or request, he has just to tell us so we can try to resolve it and to make his stay comfortable and nice….
So, thank you Amanda and sorry again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Seaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

My partner and I visited this agriturismo in May after a week in Venice and Cinque Terra. It is necessary to have a car to reach here, and it is about a ten minute drive from the hill town of Volterra. We booked B&B accommodation and our room was spacious and clean, with a small kitchen so we were able to cater for ourselves. We also had a table & chairs outside of our room on the small terrace.

On the first evening we opted to dine on the farm and we immediately knew we would be eating there every night! I can't remember the exact price (about 30 euro per person) but it was certainly good value for money. Four courses including wine, plus coffee, comprised a starter of salumi & cheese, a pasta course (or filled pancakes), followed by a main meat course and then a small dessert, mostly a cake. Everything was home made, the wine from a neighbouring farm, and it was absolutely delicious. I have spent many years eating in Italy and while I have always enjoyed some of the best seafood on the coast I have often been left underwhelmed inland (pizza excluded). I've heard people describe lamb as tasting of the herbs it fed on and here I finally experienced it. They farm sheep here and make cheese and beauty products from the milk. The home made ricotta at breakfast was legendary (I own a cheese business) and the hard cheeses were exemplary. During our week there we only missed dinner once, as we had enjoyed a big lunch in Siena.

There's a lovely pool with views into the distance, and Volterra can be seen from the gardens. I'm really sorry that I can't remember the owner's name, but we enjoyed his company and generosity, it made the stay special. The rest of the staff, particularly those who spoke english, were extremely helpful.

The decor in our room, and also the bathroom fittings, were perhaps a little dated and may not suit those looking for absolute luxury. We weren't and it didn't bother us in the slightest.

Volterra was a pleasant town. Not too much to do there though it is beautiful.

I am planning another trip to Tuscany in 2011, with our first child, and I'm looking for another agriturismo for contrast, but I may still book at this place. A gem.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

The Fattoria Lischetto is about 4-5 km outside Volterra city, the road is narrow but it´s worth it as when you arrive there it seems to be in another place, all quite, surronded by green field, air fresh, you are in touch with the nature!
The staff makes the stay easy, they are very helpful.
Rooms are big and according to the location. I had breakbast and dinner and all the food was fresh and delicious!
They make their own products (cheese, milk,oil...) and you can buy it.
There is a swimmingpool as weel, and there you can get the "latte di pecora" bath!!
Definetly I will come back!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fattoria Lischeto? Share your experiences!