“Seriously disappointed!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Mediterranean, Winery, Soups
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
“Seriously disappointed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Excited by all the excellent reviews, I ate here last night and had a decidedly underwhelming experience.

There were some things the restaurant did very well, but it was two things that it did less well that led to my disappointment.

First, the good. The atmosphere in the restaurant is pleasant in a modern style. The service was friendly and pleasant and my waiter was helpful in helping me to translate the menu. Presentation of the food is excellent, especially the desserts, which are works of modern art. Portions are generous.

The not so good - the food! None of my three courses quite hit the mark. None was quite bad enough to send back, but none of them made me smile in pleasure either.

The grilled vegetables in my starter were not particularly varied or tasty. The purée of vegetables that accompanied my fish did nothing to complement its very salty flavour. My cinnamon semi-fredo was way too sweet for my taste and was topped with a chocolate sauce which wasn't made with the best chocolate. The pear sauce on the side didn't really quite work either.

The other problem was the service. When I made it clear to the waiter that I was less than thrilled with my main and my dessert he showed virtually no interest, although he remained friendly and polite. There was no real inquiry as to what I hadn't liked about the food, no concern about my luke-warm response and no attempt to try and put things right by suggesting an alternative or knocking something off the bill.

All in all, for 40 Euros for 3 courses, I would have hoped for much better.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Jerusalem, Israel
“A Culinary Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

One of the highlights of our visit to Viterbo – itself a gem of a city – was the restaurant Angoletto della Luce: a real culinary find. Its carefully constructed menu, neither too large nor too small, though slanted towards fish, offers sufficient variety and choice to satisfy both fish and meat lovers alike. Having ate there on several occasions and, together with my partner, sampled a wide selection of what is on offer, I can say, with all honesty, that all the dishes are prepared using the freshest of fresh ingredients of the very highest quality. Beautifully served up and of ample proportions, they also taste as good as they look. Indeed, of deceptive simplicity, marrying a few key, complementary ingredients, which bring out the flavour of the chosen recipe's main ingredient, the result is at once both light and flavorsome, a far from easy effect to achieve. Having, as noted, tasted a significant portion of the menu, I would be hard pressed to recommend one dish over the other, but if pressed I would recommend: the sautéed clams, the pasta with asparagus, the roast turbot, the beef in aged balsamic vinegar and finally the almond semifreddo. Finally, if one adds to all this the restaurant's clean-cut and modern setting, its elegant, but not intimidating, quite the contrary, décor, which manifests itself in everything from the general interior design, furniture, linen and tableware, plus the friendly, attentive, helpful, yet never intrusive service, you have a winning combination: one which gives the very best of Italian restaurants a run for their money, one which is a must if you are in Viterbo and well worth the detour if not.