“Basic but great!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
HERTFORDSHIRE
“Basic but great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

First holiday in Sardinia and I'm hooked!

Have fallen in love with the Island - but not the prices! Was quite a shock!

Got a weeks self catering at Palm Village - which I was very happy with. The rooms were basic but spotless and the balcony overlooking the pool was huge! The beach in Villasimius is soo beautiful - easily one of the best beaches along the s/east coast.

As I mentioned before Sardinia is quite pricey - 3 course meal for the two of us with wine came to £95!! This seemed pretty much the norm, hence found a nice take-away pizzeria in town!

I would recommend Palm Village as only 50 mins drive from Elmas airport and short stroll to the best beach.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

My boyfriend and I went to Sardinia for the first time last year and stayed at the Palm Village in Villasimius.

The hotel was probably one of the better ones that we saw in the area and I must say I was glad I stayed there rather than some of the places I saw whilst having a look around.
It was fairly pretty but nothing to write home about.
The beaches were beautiful but all the parasols uniformly lined up along most of the length of the beach spoiled them. As did the incessant hawkers - OK, maybe they weren't too loud but they were forceful trying to sell you sunglasses, towels, T-Shirts, jewellry - pretty much anything under the sun, even if you owned a similar item of superior quality and you had it on display. I guess this isn't the hotels fault but the hotel does own a substantial amount of parasols on the beach which add to spoiling it.

Our room was decent sized I guess, maybe on the small side. The bed area was devided from the kitchen/eating area by a small wall that was about chin level (I'm about 5'4"). So no door, it's all pretty much open plan.

The bathroom was small and nice. It was all clean - absolutely nothing to complain about there.

We had a small balcony that faced the pool. We liked this very much and used it frequently. There were loads of birds nests on the ceiling of the balcony - this added to alot of bird droppings down the wall directly under the nests - which we didn't mind too much as we cleaned it regularly. The birds made quite a bit of noise at times too but we didn't mind that to much either as they were quite cute.

The bar/cafe could have been open later and had more food choice. I don't remember ever feeling tempted to try any of the food but it was very convenient for ice-cream or some beers to take to your room to enjoy on the balcony.

The pool was decent sized and often it was empty - my boyfriend and I being the only guests using it at times - which made it quite relaxing!

I can't say this is one of the better hotels I've stayed in - it was fairly grim at times but there were also good aspects about it - like having the pool to ourselves and the fact that it wasn't too big.

Bad things were - It was off a dusty road and walking to the beach or town in the heat seemed like a drawnout task.
The town was very near but there wasn't much to look at on the way other than loads of half built apartments - or the nearby apartments that DID have restaurants but played extremely loud undescript europop. Which you could hear from our room at night.
The beautiful nearby beach was ruined by a sea of parasols - nothing wrong with having a few but when you go on holiday to a beach you want to be able to see the beach.
The Food around wasn't very good.
The seefood always seemed to be deep fried although we did find a lovely restaurant in town that was quite yummy.
AND ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS - THere wasn't any culture!!! I can't sit around for a week with nothing to do, I need to see things! It is just a holiday resort. Even the village was quite faceless - some nice back streets but nothing special. There wasn't anything to explore.
People in the area seemed rude - Tried to speak Italian, didn't seem to go down well, tried to speak English, didn't go down well.

Good things - The hotel itself was quiet (ignoring nearby hotel music). One of the nearby loud restaurants was quite nice and quiet with friendly staff.
The hotel was clean.
Drove to Cagliari one day and it was beautiful. Amazing little back streets and beautiful architecture.
Drove out of Villasimius and found nice quiet beaches with only a couple of locals nearby - the sand was still white and the water very clean with a local fisherman selling an octopus he'd just captured to some Italians.
Found a really nice restaurant out of Villasimius.

I'm sure other people might love the place but I felt Sardinia lacked any soul (outside of Cagliari and confined to what I had seen).
I'm Greek and was hoping to find maybe something a little closer to home. Didn't find a lovely restaurant with friendly owners by a beach that made delicious but simple food, and nothing I came across was quaint.

I'm looking at Croatia this year, I hope I have better luck this time!!

P.S - the photos of the hotel are a good guide as to what to expect - But look at the smaller rooms because we didn't have anything like some of the rooms that looked bigger in the photos.

• Liked — The Balcony,
  • Disliked — It was faceless - it could have been placed anywhere in the world and you wouldn't know it.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bracknell
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

Unfortunately went in April which is 'out of season'!!!!!!!!! So nothing open! The hotel apartments are very basic, no kettle, toaster etc with just 2 electric rings. The pool is covered - could be something to do with being 'out of season' but unfortunately couldn't understand the lingo - the only thing we understood was 'out of season'! The views are pleasant and the beach is lovely but again nothing open! A car is definately needed to go into Villasimus but again not much open in the way of restaurants. Sardinia is a very pretty island with stunning views which I would definately go back to but not that resort and definately 'in season'.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Very basic
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Poole, Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

Palm Village apartment hotel. - Our first visit to Sardinia. Villasimius in the far south east of the island, is a lovely village and totally unspoilt. Quite a few restuarants had menus in italian only but it was fun trying to work out what dishes were and waiters were very helpful. Palm Village hotel is quite small with approx 40 rooms and all very nice! All areas of the hotel were spotlessly clean. Rooms were cleaned and linen changed regularly throughout our 11 day stay. Most rooms have a balcony wihch overlooks the pool and jaccuzi. All staff were friendly and helpful. There are about five barbeques in a separate section outside where you can do your own barbeque and there is also an undercover area with plenty tables to eat from. The beach is beautiful, sandy and clean and there is a private section belonging to the hotel. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing holiday and we would definitely go again.

Been to Palm Village Villasimius? Share your experiences!