We stayed three nights at the Torre Barbara to explore the Naples area and the Amalfi coast. We had a mixed experience as we stayed during the busy Summer holiday period and we felt that all of Italy was visiting the Amalfi region. We tried to visit the small villages such as Positano only to find no parking spaces available. There is only one coastal road and driving there is ridiculously dangerous (we saw two crashes happening right before our eyes, twice due to overzealous Vespa-drivers). We would love to visit again some time during Spring or Autumn.
The hotel is also situated along this highway linking Sorrento with Napoli. Having a car here (which we did) is a must. And it takes quite some nerves to enter and exit the hotel's ramp as the road is always busy (day and night) with Fiat-drivers pretending to be in a Ferrari ;-).
That being said, we liked the hotel. The building is nicely renovated and while we booked a standard room, we found it to be large and spacious (yet situated in the basement). There is a small swimming pool in the garden which can be refreshing after strolling through Pompeii a whole day.
Breakfast is basic but the friendly staff and the beautiful views over the Naples bay make up for it. Ranting about the location again, we only visited the town of Vico Equense once for dinner as there are traffic jams every morning and again every evening when all the sunbathers return to either Naples or Sorrento, making a 5km drive last for over an hour. Instead, we had dinner twice at the hotel which was absolutely fantastic. While the choice of fares was limited, we found the quality of the food very good and the views unparallelled.
We would definitely recommend this hotel and we would love to visit again, but during a quieter period...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Torre Barbara is the ideal place for those who wish to spend an unforgettable vacation overlooking the Gulf of Naples, just a few kilometers from the centre of Sorrento and places of major interest in the Campania region: Naples, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Caserta, Positano, Amalfi and the Amalfi Coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Venere, Priceline, HotelTravel.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Hotel Torre Barbara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Torre Barbara Hotel
- Torre Barbara Vico Equense
- Hotel Torre Barbara Vico Equense, Italy - Province Of Naples