“Fair hotel, off beaten track” 2 of 5 stars

Astoria Vico Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Gaetano Filangieri 22, 80069 Vico Equense, Italy   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Vico Equense
Staten Island, New York
“Fair hotel, off beaten track”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My friends and I stayed for three nights at this hotel. It received a four star rating from Trip Advisor but I'm not sure how long ago that rating was given. The room was very small for three ladies and unfortunately our room overlooked the local train station and a service station, creating lots of noise. The hotel had a nice patio to sit on with a beautiful view but other than that, I would prefer to stay at another location. It is quite far from the center of Sorrento which we were not aware of. The host and very pleasant though and tried his best to accomodate us.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Luton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed three nights here, and had a great time. This is a well-established local hotel, comfortable and with excellent breakfasts which will set you up for a busy day! Mimmo, Antonio and the staff are friendly, helpful and interesting to talk to. A real family feel, and perfectly located for the Sorrento/Naples railway. Lovely walk down to the sea; lovely climb back up...I'd recommend it to anyone visiting the Naples or Sorrento peninsular area. Vico Equense itself is a lovely little place, full of life (i.e. local families, youngsters etc) and good restaurants and cafes.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view. It's probably a bit noisier than other rooms (the street, but it really was...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
astoriavico, Direttore at Astoria Vico Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
I read your beautiful words and all of us are really full of happiness that our work has given to you a pleasant memory for all of us and our small hotel.

Hoping to see you soon, we send our warmest regards.
Mimmo & Co.
:-)
HOUSTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The main reason I chose this hotel was the location - right next to a little train station on the Circumvesuvia line, and with a beautiful view across the bay. I specifically requested a sea view room, and it was very nice. We were able to walk down the hillside to a little beach via a road that had great views all along the way.

The room was nice and clean, and was plenty large for us. The staff and owner were very friendly and suggested a great restaurant for us. Breakfast in the morning was a good way to start the day. We did have trouble working the AC controls, but the temperature wasn't a problem, so we didn't even ask about it.

I must also thank the owner Mimmo for being helpful before we even arrived. After checking over and over the train would be running between Naples and Vico Equense on 'May Day', the workers decided to strike. I was able to call the hotel and talk to Mimmo. He checked at the train station in Vico Equense, and confirmed for us that the train was not running as normal. In the end we got a taxi and were relieved to arrive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Congleton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

What a wonderful week I had at this small friendly hotel in October 2012 (the wettest, but mildest month), where I felt so at home. I was travelling on my own, a woman of mature age. I felt safe and well cared for.
The staff were so helpful and friendly, and Mimmo and night staff very helpful and cheerful
The position perfect, magnificent view of Vesuvius and Bay of Naples from my room, terrace and breakfast room.
1 min from railway station to Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, Herculaneum - and cheap.
2 min from friendly and helpful - and cheap - local shops and restaurants. Beach walk 10 min
A small friendly little town with a vibrant little town centre with cafés surrounding the fountain in the middle. Meals and drinks good, and good value.
So much more user-friendly than busy Sorrento, with most of the advantages.
I agree with all the excellent reviews below, except that one of 2011 that complains about the noise and lack of view. What did they expect for the cost?
The Astoria is a modest hotel, a spectacular view at no extra cost. (It was October when I went). Despite rain, the weather was always otherwise mild and sunny. Get booked quick !

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view. I did, and got a spectacular view at no extra cost (in October), although...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
rome, italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

thanks to mimmo (the owner) wich will make your stay very memorable and happy. the staff is very kind and the hotel is very clean also the rooms are very nice with individual air conditioning and comfty.

Room Tip: central near patio
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed here in mid May 2012 for two nights. The hotel is very well maintained (I noticed a 2007 review which does not compare with what we experienced and should be ignored). There are several positive aspects of this hotel. Its proximity to the train station (next door); the fantastic view of the bay and Vesuvius (you have to request it) and Mimo, the owner, who is so gracious and helpful, and obviously loves all his visitors and takes care of them like family! Do ask him questions -- he has a wealth of knowledge of the town, can recommend excellent restaurants and can advise about the area in general. Make sure you try the hotel's homemade Lemoncello at their bar!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Let me say up-front that I didn't stay at this hotel. However I really wanted to post my thanks to the owner of the Astoria Vico hotel for being so fantastically helpful and kind to my friend and I. We were 'stranded' at the train station, as there was a problem with getting to the hotel we had booked and my friend was not well. Due to problems with phone lines, I was not able to contact my hotel or call for a taxi and having been stuck for some time, eventually I went into the Astoria Vico Hotel to ask for help. The owner was very kind and tried unsuccessfully to help us, encountering the same problems we had with the phones. Eventually, he left the reception desk and, apologising for the state of his car, put my friend and I and our heavy bags into his own car and drove us personally to where we needed to go. That is what I call really going out of the way to help - and for no gain for him as we were staying at a 'competitor' in the area. We were so lucky to come across such a great guy, who didn't hesitate to offer a 'random act of kindness' that I will long remember. Thank you very much once again Mr Astoria Vico Hotel! If this experience is any indication of the service and helpfulness of the staff then I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Astoria Vico Hotel? Share your experiences!