“Great stay across the bay from Mt. Vesuvius” 5 of 5 stars

Astoria Vico Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Gaetano Filangieri 22, 80069 Vico Equense, Italy   |
Ranked #15 of 20 hotels in Vico Equense
HOUSTON
“Great stay across the bay from Mt. Vesuvius”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The main reason I chose this hotel was the location - right next to a little train station on the Circumvesuvia line, and with a beautiful view across the bay. I specifically requested a sea view room, and it was very nice. We were able to walk down the hillside to a little beach via a road that had great views all along the way.

The room was nice and clean, and was plenty large for us. The staff and owner were very friendly and suggested a great restaurant for us. Breakfast in the morning was a good way to start the day. We did have trouble working the AC controls, but the temperature wasn't a problem, so we didn't even ask about it.

I must also thank the owner Mimmo for being helpful before we even arrived. After checking over and over the train would be running between Naples and Vico Equense on 'May Day', the workers decided to strike. I was able to call the hotel and talk to Mimmo. He checked at the train station in Vico Equense, and confirmed for us that the train was not running as normal. In the end we got a taxi and were relieved to arrive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Congleton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

What a wonderful week I had at this small friendly hotel in October 2012 (the wettest, but mildest month), where I felt so at home. I was travelling on my own, a woman of mature age. I felt safe and well cared for.
The staff were so helpful and friendly, and Mimmo and night staff very helpful and cheerful
The position perfect, magnificent view of Vesuvius and Bay of Naples from my room, terrace and breakfast room.
1 min from railway station to Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, Herculaneum - and cheap.
2 min from friendly and helpful - and cheap - local shops and restaurants. Beach walk 10 min
A small friendly little town with a vibrant little town centre with cafés surrounding the fountain in the middle. Meals and drinks good, and good value.
So much more user-friendly than busy Sorrento, with most of the advantages.
I agree with all the excellent reviews below, except that one of 2011 that complains about the noise and lack of view. What did they expect for the cost?
The Astoria is a modest hotel, a spectacular view at no extra cost. (It was October when I went). Despite rain, the weather was always otherwise mild and sunny. Get booked quick !

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view. I did, and got a spectacular view at no extra cost (in October), although...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
rome, italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

thanks to mimmo (the owner) wich will make your stay very memorable and happy. the staff is very kind and the hotel is very clean also the rooms are very nice with individual air conditioning and comfty.

Room Tip: central near patio
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed here in mid May 2012 for two nights. The hotel is very well maintained (I noticed a 2007 review which does not compare with what we experienced and should be ignored). There are several positive aspects of this hotel. Its proximity to the train station (next door); the fantastic view of the bay and Vesuvius (you have to request it) and Mimo, the owner, who is so gracious and helpful, and obviously loves all his visitors and takes care of them like family! Do ask him questions -- he has a wealth of knowledge of the town, can recommend excellent restaurants and can advise about the area in general. Make sure you try the hotel's homemade Lemoncello at their bar!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Let me say up-front that I didn't stay at this hotel. However I really wanted to post my thanks to the owner of the Astoria Vico hotel for being so fantastically helpful and kind to my friend and I. We were 'stranded' at the train station, as there was a problem with getting to the hotel we had booked and my friend was not well. Due to problems with phone lines, I was not able to contact my hotel or call for a taxi and having been stuck for some time, eventually I went into the Astoria Vico Hotel to ask for help. The owner was very kind and tried unsuccessfully to help us, encountering the same problems we had with the phones. Eventually, he left the reception desk and, apologising for the state of his car, put my friend and I and our heavy bags into his own car and drove us personally to where we needed to go. That is what I call really going out of the way to help - and for no gain for him as we were staying at a 'competitor' in the area. We were so lucky to come across such a great guy, who didn't hesitate to offer a 'random act of kindness' that I will long remember. Thank you very much once again Mr Astoria Vico Hotel! If this experience is any indication of the service and helpfulness of the staff then I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We arrived late at night and were happy to find a hotel with vacant room and someone to help us close to midnight. We found free parking right outside.

The room had no air condition (only a heater we were told when we asked if the A/C was broken). This was a hot night, and even though it helped with the window open, that resulted in waking up early because of loud car noise from the street just below our window.

The service was good, the breakfast buffet was excellent. Rooms were clean.

Drawbacks of the hotel was:
- No Air Condition.
- Loud noise from the street outside.
- Noisy fan in the bathroom.
- Wi Fi was expensive, and didn't work well from our room (bad reception).
- Mold in the ceiling in the bathroom

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

There seem to be mixed reviews so far on this hotel. Personally, overall I didn't like it that much. When we arrived our room had a view of the train, bus and petrol stations....what a combo!! We asked about an upgrade and got it for 10 euros a night with a supposed sea view. Well there was a view of the sea, but you were also surrounded by walls left and right . The rooms were clean, but basic and small. The noise level was not good either. The walls and floorboards must be paper thin as you can here children running around, toilets flushing etc. The hotel has an area for breakfast, but there's no proper bar here or restaurant. So if you provide a bed and breakfast then I'm sorry, but I feel that you're more B&B than hotel. Personally I think it's important to come back to a a nice hotel environment after being out all day and relax, but the surroundings here in the hotel aren't great. I feel very strongly that this is more like a B&B than hotel. Also, there's no parking attached to the hotel. You can only park up the road on the hill, but that's VERY difficult as all the spaces are taken quickly or pay yet another 10 euros for 24hr parking in the centre. Overall, disappointing. There's one lesson I've learned here and that's too really investigate the hotel you are staying at before hand....this was my mistake and I almost feel angry with myself. Next time, I'll pay more and research my hotel in depth. In favour of the hotel is being able to get a train or bus to most of the attractions, in fact if you shout from your window you could ask the next time of the bus / train etc :) The owners speak english and are helpful, but the hired hands speaky no Englais.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Astoria Vico Hotel? Share your experiences!