“Beautiful view and grounds, hotel needs updating” 3 of 5 stars

Aequa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Filangieri 46/48, 80069 Vico Equense, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Vico Equense
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful view and grounds, hotel needs updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have to admit that I loved sitting on the huge terrace with a view to the sea, drinking good coffee from the hotel. The terrace is fabulous: postcard view, beautiful breeze, spacious area. The pool is quite large with pretty gardens surrounding it. The town of Vico Equense is halfway between Pompeii and Sorrento. We rented a car and was happy to find out that the hotel did not charge for parking. The driving along the coast is not for sissies, but it can be fun, too. The hotel is in the middle of the town and near restaurants and the main piazza. The train station is nearby and acts as a subway to Sorrento or Pompeii. The hotel itself has seen better days: the walls need painting, the carpets need to be replaced, and the paintings on the walls of our room looked like they were taken from a student dorm. But that view from the balcony made it for it all. The breakfast was okay. We had dinner in the dining room on our first night and I found it disappointing compared to fabulous meals I had had elsewhere on the trip for the same amount of money. The reception staff were very helpful and kind, as were the waiters in the hotel restaurant. When we first went to our room, there was a lot of mold around the bathtub, which was off-putting. I mentioned it to the front desk and it was cleaned by the next day.

Room Tip: The photo shown for the hotel on Trip Advisor cannot be of the Aequa Hotel from what I can deduce.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

205 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed in Aequa Hotel with my boyfriend for a long weekend to visit the Amalfi coast, Pompei and Napels. I would recommend this hotel to everyone! It is a great place to stay because the staff is really kind and helpful, the hotel is located beautifully (from our room we had a magnificent view of the bay of Naples and the Vesuvio) and it is easy to go around, because the hotel is very close to the station (only 5 min. walk) from where you can take the train to go to Napels (40 min) or Sorrento (10 min). There is also a beautiful terrace and a swimming pool. The rooms were nice with very comfortable beds and a big bath room. Another thing I really liked was that the village (Vico Equense) is not as big as the other places nearby. It is a calm place, but there are nevertheless some nice cafés, restaurants and a very good gelateria (Gabriele), which has been nominated one of the best gelaterias of Italy. We went there every night to have an icecream! So, to sum it all up: I had a great time and I would love to go back there some time soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dingle, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a family of five in this charming hotel. It is well located in the town centre. The hotel is within a short walk of the lovely town square - great for a coffee in the morning or a drink in the evening. There is a large pool in the hotel, it is clean and very relaxing. As others have said the train nearby is great for visiting Sorrento, Pompeii etc. One of the hotel's biggest assets is the staff. They could not do enough to enhance our stay, organised a trip to Capri, advised us on trips to the nearby beaches. The rooms are clean, ours had a wonderful view of the bay of Naples & Vesuvius.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Highly recommend this hotel and Vico Equense. After a horrendous day of flight cancellations and delays while travelling from London via Rome via Naples, Aequa staff saved the day & my mood. Eventually arriving at the hotel at 10:30, The waiters had set up a table in the dining hall for myself and boyfriend with dinner, cake, bread, wine & water. The staff are so polite, friendly, helpful and thoughtful. They really go above and beyond to remember guests personally and their preferences. They take a lot pride working in the hotel. Daily cleaned rooms to a high standard. The views from our balcony and the terraces are just surreal. I love the rustic italian charm they have kept with the hotel. Great pool! The food was great and lots of it which suits me nicely! Our waitor Mimo was brilliant! Always ask his recommendation of the wine and food! Both waitors were attentive and fast even while having to serve a large coach party at the same time. Right beside buses and trains to Naples & all the tourist sites! Walking distance from the beach, shops, bars, resturaunts. Vico Equense is the kind of place i've always wanted to holiday. Small town with Real italian life and charm but the locals are still so appreciative and inviting of foreign visitors. You don't feel like a tourist. The town has a tasteful and enjoyful liveliness to it but also has that calming relaxing feel. Hopefully this place will never change! Cant wait to go back!! Thank you Giacomo, Mimo & all the staff for making it a memorable holiday!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
W Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We spent ages trying to decide on the best centre from which to "do" the Amalfi coast, Pompei, Herculaneum, Vesuvius etc.

More through luck than judgement we settled on Vico Equense a lovely small town that is NOWHERE near as commercialised as Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano et al.

Nevertheless Vico has some very good hotels and restaurants, gelaterias at considerably less cost than places like Positano/Amalfi.

Taking our life in our hands we decided to hire a car and generally it was fine once you got used to motorbikes overtaking coaches coming towards you on a hairpin bend.

With hindsight we would have got the hotel to pick us up from the airport and hired the car in Vico Equense for perhaps 3 days only as most places could be easily reached by train.

One of the huge benefits of Vico is that it has a railway station with lots of very cheap trains to Naples, Pompei, Herculaneum and Sorrento so you are able to get around a lot without having to go on buses or taxis.

All the towns we went to:- Amalfi, Sorrento, Ravello, Positano Capri were stunningly beautiful although fairly comercialised particularly Capri which was massively overcrowded (in mid june) and in our experience a bit of a "rip off" city.

As far as the Aequa is concerned, we loved it. Yes there are things you could criticise like the outside could do with a coat of paint , some of the public rooms look a little bit tired, the breakfast was nothing special particularly for late risers, as has already been stated but in all other respects fantastic. In fairness the waiters at breakfast are more than happy to get you an omelette if you wish.

Can't speak highly enough of the guys on reception, even when under great pressure from phone calls, other guests etc they were unfailingly polite, friendly and very helpful. They are a mine of information on how to get to places which stations to use etc. Their English is also extremely good.

The rooms are fine, comfortable and very clean without being in anyway fancy. The pool is really nice too although I suspect it may be a bit cool outside the Summer months.

One really pleasant surprise was the quality of Wifi which although not available in the room itself was available all round the rest of the hotel and all round the pool too.

All in all Vico Equense is a fantastic base for the Amalfi coast and the Aequa is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool and had a view of the sea which was great.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here end of May on Travelsphere package. The hotel has a fantastic location (including travel on train to Naples or Sorrento) and boasts a huge terrace, lovely garden and first class pool. OK so it is a bit dated but that to me is part of the charm coupled with being family run. Our bedroom was comfortable and clean and had a safe. Only thing I would have liked was tea/coffee making facilities but no real hardship yo have water. All of the staff are fantastic and nothing is too much for them to do for you. While we were there one other group was there for the first couple of nights and two others for the last couple of nights, but breakfast and dinner service went without a hitch despite the numbers. I must admit that I had anticipated pretty mediocre food and was I pleasantly surprised! The least we were offered was a three course meal (and the biggest five courses) and some very interesting and different pasta dishes as the first course - yummy! If anything wasn't to your liking then the staff were only too willing to get a different dish though I personally was more than happy with the offered Italian fare.
To add to the atmosphere with all the tour groups and a few others the staff still managed to cater for a couple of weddings or birthday celebrations in weekend afternoons with the attendant buzz . The decorations and place settings were absolutely out of this world and I am sorry I did not get a picture of some of them.
If I ever decide to visit the Bay of Naples then this will be my choice of base.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room and bathroom were clean, which I find very important. The decor is few decades behind, but I can overlook that. My only problem was wifi Internet that they gave me pas ode for, but my iPad was not even picking up the signal.
Hotel terrace is large with spectacular view of Napoli and Vesuvius.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aequa Hotel? Share your experiences!