“My favourite country” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viareggio

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Worcester, United Kingdom
20 helpful votes
“My favourite country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

I love Italy and have been there about 10 times now but this was my first visit to Tuscany. It's a lovely place to base yourself as it is easy to get to Pisa, Florence, Lucca by train or bus. The flight to Pisa only took 1 hr 40 mins and it's only about 15 mins by train to Viareggio.
The town itself isn't full of souvenir shops, in fact most of the shops along the promenade (where the locals do the passeggiata) are of the designer variety - a bit pricey for most. However I picked up some good bargains at the local market on a Thursday. There are some nice pine woods behind the main row of hotels where cycling is popular, bicycles are cheap to hire and it's very flat so easy to get to the other end of the town or the next town. I only ate in the hotel so can't comment on restaurants but there is a huge choice along the promenade.
The beaches are all private but I got a chit from my hotel, it was clean, the sea was warm and quite shallow.
I will definitely go back, even if only to use as a base to explore the rest of Tuscany.

6 Thank Pammypolly
Exeter UK
14 helpful votes
“Viareggio great beach holiday.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

We visited Viareggio in July 2007 for 3 weeks with our 2 teenage sons. We stayed in an apartment near the central pine woods. The town is a great place for a simple beach based holiday; we invested in a Bagno (Derna) for 3 weeks and it was well worthwhile. We had a umbrella various sun beds, deck chairs and a beach cabin for 440 Euro. Be aware there is almost NO public beach in viareggio it is all bathing establishments.

Our sons regulary ran through the town south to the pine woods where they saw foxes and wild boar.

The food is Viareggio is almost always excellent, wonderful ice creams and pasta. Not to be missed is the nightly passeggieta along the "front" - the whole town seems to turn out until 1am.

We also visited Lucca a few times, mainly to take in the music festival which has really quite big stars (George Michael this year). Florence also has an excellent festival with somebig names.

7 Thank Lord_Roseberry
North West England
84 helpful votes
“Confused place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Being a lover of 'italian' Italy I found Viareggio somewhat disappointing. It could have been almost anywhere in th world. Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with the place apart from the fact that it didn't feel like I was in Italy. Masses of beachfront, plenty of bathing establishments, not volcanic sand and not steep watersedge. Although it could do with a few more good quality restaurants.
It is well located if you want to combine sun-bathing days with cultural trip days, Pisa, Florence, Lucca are within easy reach from the station if you don't want to hire a car.
What it lacks in atmosphere it compensates with people watching opportunities. It seems it is a place to be seen - the evening ritual of promenading along the lungomare window shopping in the designer shops is worth watching.

1 Thank Bettie_Booker
A TripAdvisor Member
“Bella Sole”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2005

Viareggio is a seaside town located in the beautiful country of Italy. Photographs do not even compare to the actual beauty of the beaches and surrounding areas. It has the most beautiful sunsets one could ever imagine. There are wooded areas with trails for biking. Outdoor markets with tremendous bargains. The people are so friendly and helpful in every way possible. This town is definitely one to visit. Especially if you enjoy the rays of the sun. The hotels and restaurants are all located on the seaside. Nightlife in Viareggio is full of fun. Please do visit Viareggio, Italy.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Viareggio”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

We had an enjoyable holiday, but it lacked that typical 'Italian' feel. Not really the right place for a couple, everything centered around the promanade, which was more for families. No secluded piazzas with fountains. A bit touristy!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Viareggio? Share your experiences!