“The Truth” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Viareggio
birmingham
“The Truth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My mother and I stayed at the hotel from the 20th -27 September 2013. The staff were lovely really nice, hard working and kind in the most part.. There of course were a few issues. For example
No disabled access come on guys this is 2013. We had to use the back entrance, not good....
The maid was a little lazy as our room wasn't cleaned for two days..... I never got to the bottom of that but when it was finally clean they did a great job spotless. Of all the staff teams in the hotel I would say reception were the most snooty. (Oh please). Since they are front of house they is room for improvement......

On the very very positive side the restaurant team were excellent. Barbara & Stefano in the evening and all the workers at breakfast were lovely, kind and prompt. The food was great breakfast was ok but the evening meals were very good especially the grilled sea-bass.

We were in a side sea view room on the first floor . Iit was just right the view of the sea was enough as was the view of the piazza.
The service were great the hotel clean and up to date......
I would go back tomorrow worth every penny. Now to the spa staff...... Outstanding is the only word I can say they should have five stars alone... Well done Principle di Piemonte ....

Room Tip: Hotel reception staff take with a pinch if salt
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Francesco518, Direttore vendite at Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

first of all I'd like to thank you for choosing Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte and for taking some of your precious time to leave this review.

Regarding the issues you have mentioned in your comment, we'd love to have a direct frontal access for guests with disabilities but the hotel is an historical building and the italian laws don't allow us to make any modifications to the original facade, that's why we have that access from pur private parking.

Our housekeeping staff is well trained and have specific procedures to redo all rooms unless the guests have decided to not be disturbed. Probably you have pressed without noticing the "do not disturb" button near the entrance; we are sorry for the inconvenience but in the mean time we are really happy that you have enjoyed at the fullest your stay with us.

We really hope you can come back in the future.

Best regards,,

Francesco Ferruzzi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Isle of Man
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

After Being disappointed with our three previous hotels on this long trip we were not expecting much from this,a four star,hotel. All three others were five star and pretty awful.
The room was spacious and clean with a fabulous view of the beachside pool, which you're not allowed into (some pics online show this pool area) it had a good sized bathroom albeit with a shower over the bath.

The general cleanliness of the corridors/ stairs was poor.

The pool was ok if small, no staff!!! Up there.

The breakfast was awful. How any,so called, chef could get scrambled eggs to look like this I don't know.

Every day we had to ask for edible eggs. AND NOBODY ACTED ON THIS!!!!!

On the last day the egg/bacon(ugh) warming tray was not on and all was cold.

Fruit selection awful and the same cakes/pastries came out each day

Room Tip: Complain about everything you're not happy with
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed one night at Grand Hotel Prinsipe di Piemonte and I loved it. The hotel is beautiful and is located in the center of Viareggio with a great view of the beach.

I checked-in late and the staff were really nice. Although my room didn't have a view, it was still nicely furnished and I love the magazines they stacked there.

My favorite are the toiletries. You can tell it's not a cheap hotel from it. They have a big bottle of nice-smelling lotion and the shampoos and soap are in fabulous bottles. The bathroom is very clean and spacious which is very important to me.

The internet works great in the room. I hate when the internet doesn't work in the rooms of a hotel as I have work to do and need to get connected.

The breakfast buffet was also great and the dining area is beautiful and grand! The rooftop pool is also a great are with a fabulous view of the beach. It was not crowded when I was there so I have my own sunbed.

Great and luxurious! I would stay again.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Exellent old slyle italian Grand hotel in a very nice beach town. Everything of proper level. Really Grand - high ceiling, large staircase, halls, breakfast room, etc. The breakfast has fantastic choice and quality. We had a Deluxe side sea view room - it was perfect - spaceous, beautiful, comfortable bed, sofa, built-in wardrobes (plenty), nice bathroom with a window, bathrobes and slippers. In a windy day it is better to relax near the pool on the last floor - calm and quite, nice bar. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: It is better to book in advance to have a good price.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

After a hard year we decided to go to "principe di piemonte" hotel. Where shall I start? The rooms are far too small and very dusty and cleaned superficially, so are the corridors, I had to point out that the floor just outside our room was dirty and only, after 2 days it got cleaned. On the second day of our stay both my child and I got bitten by bed bugs (confirmed by doctor), which ruined the entire stay. On a positive side, very good breakfast and lunch on the terrace, however dinner was normally poor quality and took over 2 1/2 hours and I am not sure how that is normally possible in Italy. I have travelled all around Italy and have never ate worse.......I wish i could show remarks and pictures from the guest book in the hotel, very dissapointing. A beautiful building in a great location but badly managed............

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I along with our 10 month old son stayed at the Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte for 3 nights recently and were less than impressed with this hotel. We paid approx Euro 500 per night for a sea facing room on their ‘Modern Floor’.

The room was small and not very nicely decorated. The lighting design in the room was quite bad (either too bright or too dark) and the room’s furnishings used a lot of Perspex which I thought looked awful – and a cheap alternative to glass I presume. The en-suite bathroom was large but had no separate shower cubicle – just a shower-in-the-bath arrangement and a single wash-hand basin.

The pool on the 5th floor is very small and the area around the pool for sun loungers is very cramped. On our first full day we ate lunch at the restaurant adjacent to the pool (‘Piccolo Principe’) and were appalled at how bad the food was. I ordered ravioli which I had expected would be freshly made in the restaurant but I’m certain it was actually out of a packet – a bit much considering it cost Euro 15. We ate out for the rest of our stay after our terrible meal at Piccolo Principe. The breakfast is quite good however.

Other gripes include no beach access – expect to pay Euro 45 per day for beach access and have to walk a distance up the street to the beach club with whom GHPdP have an affiliation with.
Also no complimentary bottled water is provided in the rooms – expect to pay Euro 4 per 500ml of Acqua Panna mineral water.

No complementary WiFi – Euro 15 per day.

Also if you arrive by car you have to pay 24/7 for parking in the square adjacent to the hotel or within the hotel’s underground car-park.

Overall the service was mediocre.

My wife and I have travelled extensively around Italy as well as other parts of Europe, the US, the Middle East, Africa and the Indian Ocean and have always stayed in either 4 star or 5 star hotels.

Our advice would be don’t stay at the GHPdP. After having stayed at the hotel we can’t think of anything that we really liked about it or that made it stand out. All that stands out for us is how it failed to meet our expectations.

We chose this hotel as we thought it was the best in Viareggio. Well if it is the best in the town then don’t bother going to Viareggio!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Not sure where the 5 stars are, i have not felt this worse since the last 3 stars hotel i checked in years ago. The room was small, the matress is the cheapest one can find in a discount shop, the sheets were already dirty (with traces of dead musquitos) and the smell in the room unbearable. Unfortunatelly i don't think there are many alternatives in Viareggio, but still, for us it was one of the worst experiences ever. Not to mention that they dont't even have their own beach and they charge some 50 Eur / person for a neighbouring beach. Overall, a disaster hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
Francesco518, Direttore vendite at Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Traveler,
we are really sorry for what you wrote in your review. Our high standards are confirmed by the large majority of all the reviews we receive and that you can find here on TripAdvisor. Please contact our management (info@principedipiemonte.com or +39 0584 4011) with more details so we can check what really happened.
Best regards

Been to Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte? Share your experiences!