“Romantic Break!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Viareggio
London
“Romantic Break!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Viareggio weather in late August was hot but very pleasant. The Grand Hotel Royal is a magnificent period property located on the seafront with a swimming pool, restaurant and grand bar! The pick up from Pisa airport by the hotel car was efficient, hassle free and quick. We were greeted warmly by the receptionist and were allocated a sea facing room. The beach across the hotel was clean with lots of chairs, umbrellas and sunbeds. All along the promenade there was an excellent selection of restaurants, ice-cream outlets and shops. Cycling is very popular along the promenade. Dinner at the Grand Hotel Royal was very good and Daniel provided excellent service! Giuseppe in the bar was always charming and made excellent cocktails!

There are many possibilities for day trips. Highly recommended and close by is the village of Peitrasantra and the nearby vineyard.

My wife and I had a fantastic holiday and will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
It is always a joy to learn that we have made some special memories for guests to take away with them and cherish forever. Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay at the Royal
We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you appreciated our efforts.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Czech first
Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Just come home from 10 fantastic days in Tuscany. We stayed at the Grand Hotel which is situated just over the road from the beach, has a bus stop directly opposite and the train station is about 20 mins walk away. While here we also visited Florence, Pisa and Lucca. The location of the hotel was good, our twin room was clean and larger than expected and the food was always excellent. The service here was outstanding in all areas. Particular mention must go to the reception staff (who I mithered most days!). When I asked where the nearest supermarket was they gave me a map to show me where to go. When we went to Lucca they printed me a train timetable and also street map of Lucca highlighting where the train station was. When going to Pisa they printed me a bus timetable and told me where to catch the bus home again. Nothing was too much trouble and all staff put themselves out to be helpful. Would highly recommend this hotel

Dear Guest,
Wonderful! I could not agree more with your sentiments about the staff.. I believe them to be truly dedicated to the guests' enjoyment of their stay at the Royal , and in turn they take great pleasure in reading feedback such as yours. Thank you so much for your kind words.
Hope to see you again
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful week at this lovely elegant well run hotel. Cant rate the place and its wonderfully helpful staff highly enough. How anyone could find breakfast boring is beyond me as I've never seen such a fantastic choice of food. Its not noisy either - we were near the front and it was impossible to hear anything through two sets of shutters and a heavy pair of curtains on a night! I'm a very very light sleeper but enjoyed a good nights sleep all week. There is nothing wrong with the bathroom fittings either! Some people really should get out a bit more and stop nit picking! Anyway congratulations to everyone at the Grand Hotel Royal. Special thanks to Marzia on reception - incredibly patient, very very helpful, perfect English and always a lovely smile!

• Stayed August 2014
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for the thorough review of our service and facilities and I am delighted that we performed so well., and tank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Grand and Royal.
maidenhead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

The Grand Royal really is a grand hotel. All of the rooms are magnificent (bedrooms, dining room, reception, hallways etc.), and the staff are all exceptionally friendly and helpful. The location is very good, with the beach just over the road. A previous review stated that the beach was charged extra - this was not the case for us. The beach was included as part of the holiday package. Although hotel guests can only use a certain part of Bagno Annita this was not a problem, even though the reserved section is not the nearest to the sea. The hotel pool is very large and was never crowded, although somewhat shady (cutting back some of the trees would help). There was never a shortage of sunbeds, and refreshingly the poolman would remove towels if beds were left unattended for too long. The only disappointment was the food, which was good but nothing to get excited about. There was a good range of food at the breakfast buffet every day, but it never varied. The dinner menu, a choice of various starters, mains and desserts, changed every night. If you like to have potatoes with your meat then you need to make sure that you order chips.

Room Tip: Standard side sea view rooms are exactly what they say.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear Guest,
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel
We would like to thank you for your comments
I am sorry that you had a mixed experience in the dining room and breakfast but again, you persevered and were able to see past the minor lapses in our usual high standards
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal another time.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I rented an apartment for 3 weeks in Viareggio, a famous seaside resort in in Tuscany on the west coast of Italy but 3 days before my trip the apartment fell through. I had no choice but to find a hotel for 14 days in Viareggio a famous seaside resort in Tuscany on the west coast of Italy. I booked this hotel through booking.com. I guess I misread the price because it was given in Euro instead of american dollars. The hotel is a beautiful old hotel and I had a large room although the bathroom was so small that I had to sit sideways on the toilet! Breakfast was included but I found the breakfast to be boring. The same food every day and I have seen prettier
and more tasty breakfasts in small hotels. The hotel is right across the street from the beach. Beaches in this area are not free. You have to pay for a spot on the beach. However, despite the overly priced hotel, they did not even have a free area of the beach. Instead they had an agreement with one of the beaches so that a guest would only have to pay about $25.00 a day. The hotel does however have a beautiful pool.
The worst part of the trip is when I checked out. I thought I was paying $2,700 for 14 days but that was in euros. Based on the exchange rate it cost me an extra $1,000.!!!! The hotel caters to english speakers which guests might like although I prefer to speak Italian. I have to say the best part of the hotel is Guiseppe, the bartender, who is so personable and pleasant it makes a nice end to an evening,

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Caterina,
Thank you very much your comments and apologies for any inconvenience caused, although we do feel that this was not due to any fault of the Grand Hotel Royal.
As we are based in Viareggio, Italy, the European currency is euros, not dollars. Prices would never be quoted in dollars so please take particular note in the future. Again, beaches in Tuscany are all independent and do charge upon entry.
We are disappointed to hear that breakfast was not to your liking - there is plenty of choice to cater for every possible requirement.
Finally, your comments regarding the accommodation were subject to opinion – you did, in fact, book a small room at a special rate clearly described as a small room with a small bathroom.
We do, however, thank you once again for your review and hope to welcome you back to the Grand Hotel Royal.

Best regards,
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

This was our third visit and I'm happy to report the high standards have been maintained since our last stay three years ago.
The affable Marino Patruno heads an extremely professional and helpful team. The service at reception and in the restaurant is first-class and the standard of housekeeping is high.
The Royal is a very friendly, welcoming hotel serving excellent food and having a very pleasant, shady garden and swimming pool. It is nicely located opposite Viareggio's beautiful sandy beach. We hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback which certainly helps us to monitor and improve our service. I was pleased to read how much you enjoy staying at our hotel and that the service provided by the team and the views from the room are some of the factors which helps your decision in returning . I will certainly share your comments with the team . We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

This hotel looks stunning from the outside and has an interesting history.
In fact it is the most beautiful along the whole promenade.
We stayed here for a week in room 227 - paying £230 per night for a large corner room with space for 3 to share (paid extra for our 9 yr old who slept on a large sofa bed) It has air conditioning, two balconies one facing the sea the other a side view of the mountains. Mini bar, in room safe, a hair dryer but I would take your own - it is in the bathroom and was very weak. TV, no iron or bath robes.
This room had a 30 ft ceiling height and tiled floors it was kept immaculately clean by housekeeping who come by after 1pm. They also provide towels for the pool and beach.
The room was a little tired not the 4 star elegance of a hotel we staying in Verona last year.
It does also face the road as well as the promenade and then the sea. Others on here have said how lovely this is unfortunately I am inclined to advise otherwise. It is an exceptionally noisy road - the main promenade is used from 7:30am ish to well after mid night (the restaurants and ice cream bars that are on the promenade before you even get to the sea are open until then some longer) and on market day (Thursday) they set up from 6am. Now we are not light sleepers we have lived in a city for many years however although the room has shutters and doors they are not double glazed and so it is very noisy.
We also tried to use room service 3 times for fresh milk and it never came.

On the plus side the hotel air port pick up service was excellent (70 Euros each way). The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly.

The pool is always immaculately looked after and the life guard Massimo was very friendly and helpful as were the pool bar staff.

We only had breakfast at the hotel and this offered a wide variety of cold sweet savoury and hot food. We looked at the dinner options and found them to be too limited for our needs so ate out - there are lots of good restaurants to chose from.

This hotel appeared to have many returning guests there was a mix opinion as to whether the standards have declined some said yes others no - all agreed on the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

There is ping pong and table football near the pool - at breakfast they have a little children's table where they put chocolate bars as small gifts for them - there is nothing else for children to do - no kids clubs or baby pool. We knew this and were happy that it was not geared around children - we mainly used the hotel as a base as it is easy to get by train to Pisa, Florence, Genoa etc.

This has turned out to be quite a long review - probably as we are undecided as to our experience - it was good - somewhere between a 3 and 4 trip adviser star ! We have stayed in Italy before and had expected more from the 4 star grading and have received far more too in the past. It wasn't up to our expectation however it was a nice hotel. It is not the high end of 4 star.
The hotel does offer free WiFi in our room ours only worked in the ensuite bathroom!! It was fairly slow.
In summary staff and friendliness, helpfulness and service (except room service!) are excellent - location wise excellent as a base on the central promenade so noisy ! Not a lot for children to do.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are noisy and on the sides too as the hotel takes up a whole block. Room 227 is...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback which certainly helps us to monitor and improve our service. I was pleased to read how much you enjoy staying at our hotel and that the service provided by the team.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused, particularly for the bad room service and the noisy coming from the main street,
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best wishes

Been to BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel Royal? Share your experiences!