“Nice location, poor breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

La Contrada Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Vittore 25, 28921 Verbania, Italy   |
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Verbania
Munich, Germany
“Nice location, poor breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We were in La Contrada for 5 nights. The location is nice in the pedestrian area of Verbania Intra. If your window looks at the street you might hear the noise of people passing by. The room was nice and clean too. Only the breakfast was unfortunately pretty poor, below italian standards. The price was quite OK for the quality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Four star hotel - you must be joking. Firstly when we arrived at 2pm the hotel was locked up and in darkness. That was a first for me, a number was left on the door to call the receptionist. The hotel was clean enough but very basic. We did pay extra for a superior room. The bed felt like a mortuary slab. Free Wi Fi didn't seem to work, my phone and note book were "out of range" in the bedroom (unless this was switched off at 10.30pm as well). Air conditioning was not working when we arrived, it was repaired the next morning, but hotel management have decided that it is too loud, so it is switched off at about 10.30pm. The hotel is in a pedestrian only area so of an evening there are no cars, but quite a few people which is loud (windows open because no air con). At about 6.30am - 7am the pedestrian area comes alive with vehicles, road sweepers, rubbish collection trucks, so just as well we didn't want a lie in. The two members of staff we met were very pleasant and helpful, but I expected so much more from a 4* hotel. So glad we only booked 2 nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_La_Contrada, Owner at La Contrada Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your review, we are going to reply point by point:
1 - La Contrada is a 3 stars hotel and not a 4 stars hotel as mentioned.
2 - Since we are a 3 stars hotel, by the Italian law we do not need a reception opened 24hrs a day.
3 - Our hotel is brand new one and so our mattresses.
4 - Air conditioning was switched off just to give the opportunity to the guests to sleep well. However, the guest can request to have it on all night.
5 - It is mentioned on booking portals, our website and in the hotel that free Wi-Fi is only in the hall area. In the rooms there is a free internet connection with cable.
6 – Since we are located in the center pedestrian area, it could happen that sometimes during the night people pass through the street next to the hotel.

Hotel La Contrada Team
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was in lake maggiorre for a wedding from London. I needed a place to stay and wanted to avoid the bigger and pricier hotels nearer the venue. Picked this out mainly for the locality and the price. I was not disappointed.

It was very clean and basic. I arrived late and I would advise calling ahead. The owner got my email wrong so I didn't let her know until closer to the time about my late arrival but we gothere in the end. The owner was very friendly and helpful especially as I had a rather unwanted problem with my car and parking!

Breakfast is not included and I probably wouldn't bother as it is very basic and there are plenty of cafes around the place. Lots of ice cream parlours as well -delicious too.

It is located very close to the action - bueatiful streets and off the main square which has a weekend farmers market. It is however not off any main road so if you are driving then you will need to find a place to park close by and walk the rest. Not for the faint hearted/lazy! (or laden with luggage). There is a parking lot next to the ferry port which is actually the closest and easiest to walk to I found out eventually.

Room Tip: None really had much of a view from what I could make out -so first floor rather than second if you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Novara, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

New, elegant and clean. Awesome room, comfortable, peaceful Perfect location in the very heart of the city centre. Rich breakfast. Reasonable price. But... The "private parking" is a few hundred meters away, the area is pedestrian only, no lift is available (I had to carry my bags from the parking to the hotel and then up to the second floor – the concierge offered to help). No staff is in from 8 pm to 7.30 am.
Loved it and would recommend it. I would have appreciated it very much to be informed in advance about parking/lift (not clearly indicated on their site).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to La Contrada Hotel? Share your experiences!