“Perfect stopover” 4 of 5 stars

Via Broggi, 7, 21100 Varese, Italy   |
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Varese
“Perfect stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

After a long day of travelling to Italy, Albergo Bologna was our first stop, just past the Swiss border. Pleasant, delicious food and wine, a warm welcome. And at a very decent price. Very much recommended!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I fully agree with vladimir21k's extensive review.
We stayed for 3 nights and were traveling with our dog. The room was very spacious and had a balcony. No extra fee was added for the animal. It was welcome at the restaurant and always given a bowl of water.
We had all our meals at the hotel's restaurant; the cuisine was excellent, typical of Bologna and the bill was always rounded down, i.e. we paid e.g. EUR 50 when the total of the food and drink added up to EUR 58. I had never seen this before in my life. Service was fast and friendly, even when the restaurant was jam packed. I fully recommend both the hotel and the restaurant (provided you like Italian cuisine).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Varese, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

If you like traditional Emilia-Romagna cuisine, don't miss this place, located in Varese city center. Make sure you book it time in advance, they're usually always fully booked, and the reason is quite clear: quantity and quality is very good, price is absolutely acceptable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Novi Sad, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I didn't really expect much when I came here with my family in mid-september of this year. This is a 3 star hotel, and I was just looking forward to a average hotel where I could spend the night and go about my sight-seeing. The Albergo Bologna turned out to be the highlight of my trip! .

We had booked two rooms on ebooking.com, and when we got there we had no trouble checking in. The staff doesn't speak English at all, but they were very helpful and the receptionist took his time to show us to our reserved parking spot in the hotel's courtyard. The parking area was spacious and secure. I stayed in what I think was room 307 (don't take my word for it), a nice room equipped with a TV (didn't work, didn't matter), AC, and a rather poorly stocked mini bar, which i was later to find out was completely irrelevant (I'll get to it later). The room was very clean. The bathroom was perfect, extremely clean, and came with a hair dryer.

At first glance, nothing special, but it was the little things that made my experience very enjoyable. The bathroom had complementary bars of soap (as expected), shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush and even one of those little sponges for shoe-shining. Housekeeping would replace these items with fresh stock every single day. Housekeeping made sure the rooms were spotless and it felt like I had just checked in every time I came back from exploring the city.

Breakfast was free of charge, and the food was amazing. A home-made buffet breakfast was made ready each morning by the hotel's own veechia signora, with whom my mother would later exchange recipes. The capuccino was the best i had in Italy, each morning I would have a cup at breakfast and have a second cup on the small balcony in my room overlooking the street.

My impression was that this was primarily a restaurant, and since it was always packed we assumed that the food was great. We had dinner one night, and we wanted to eat outside but since there were no tables left the waiters picked one out of storage and planted it directly on the pedestrian zone street in front of the hotel, and the atmosphere was delightful. Apart from the dinner being exquisite, our hosts served us complementary champagne and spirits after our meal.

The location is phenomenal as it is right at the beginning of Varese's pedestrian zone. The hotel also has free wifi for it's guests and you must ask for a username and password at the front desk, but it is no fuss at all.

All in all, very clean, very quiet, great staff in a very familiar setting. I felt as if I was a guest at somebodies house rather than staying in a hotel! If you are ever in Varese, this should be your first choice pick.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I lived in Varese for 5 years and go back a few times every year. I always stay at the Albergo Bologna and have dinner in their restaurant. It is the high point of the trip. The food and athmosphere is really brilliant and it has got to be among the very best restaurants in Varese. The Hotel rooms are clean, no fuss and basic and offer great value for money. jim.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I was recommended this hotel by a local friend of mine, mainly because of its location.
And yes, I confirm, location is great, definitely its best feature. But the rest was, ehm, how can I put it... forgettable???? Aside from pretty basic rooms, which overall I could still tolerate, what really put me off was the service: check in was kind of superficial and I didn't feel welcomed at all. The guy that took us to the room was very distant and did nothing to impress.

One example: shortly after our arrival, I decided to take a shower but I struggled to activate the unit. Not wanting to break it (it was already in quite poor conditions), my mum went to the reception in search for help, where she was told what to do. Now, we were thankful for the advice, but at the same time felt neglected and overlooked. I would have appreciated them coming into the room and address the issue directly, rather than feeling like an annoying inconvenience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Albergo Bologna provides delicious, unpretentious food in a friendly, lively atmosphere. Hotel not the main business but the rooms are comfortable and large. A bit noisy because of bar and road below.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Albergo Ristorante Bologna? Share your experiences!