“Good Location, Lousy Breakfast, Adequate for One Night” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Marina, 98050 Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Stromboli
Waterloo, Canada
“Good Location, Lousy Breakfast, Adequate for One Night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We chose this hotel mainly for its location (despite some of the horrible review on TA), and its price (it was still cheaper - relative to location - than most other hotels on the island). Since we really just needed a place to sleep after our Stromboli hike, we weren't very picky. This hotel is nothing special - it looks like it hasn't been renovated since the 70s and there are creepy pictures of women in the hottub everywhere. There are signs that talking on the mobile phone inside the hotel is forbidden. I thought this was strange.
When we arrived, the staff was cordial and we were given a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice while we waited for our room - so this was nice. Our room was basic but ok. After reading some of the reviews we checked the bed for bedbugs right away and there were no signs of any infestation. We didn't have any bugs on our floor either, but I wouldn't have been surprised if there were some as this is a beach hotel, with a balcony, so bugs are inevitable.
Our balcony was a small concrete tube with 3M walls, so there was no view. But whatever- that is not what we came there for. The bathroom was clean and adequate. The nice thing about it was the size of the shower stall - it was very big, at least 2-3 people could fit in there, and the shower head was nice and big with good water pressure. This was very welcome after hiking the Stromboli for 5 hours! The bed was comfortable enough - it was either that or we were just so exhausted from the hike to notice.
The real dissapointment of this place for us was the breakfast. This was the most expensive place we stayed at in Sicily and we had far better breakfasts in other places for half what were paying. There was a selection of buns/croissants with some cold cuts, but all the fruit was from a can and the vegetables didn't look fresh. For a place that claims it is a 3 star establishment, I'd expect some fresh fruit. But ok - it was adequate for morning nourishment.
Overall, I'd give this hotel about 2 stars, it does the job of providing a bed, and it's conveniently located (2 min walk from the port), but don't expect anything fancy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I feel totally ripped off and stupid to fell into such a tourist trap. The first room they put me in had a wall as a view. You could hear the sea when the drilling stopped. In fact the drilling went on all day. When I complained I was given a room on the first floor. This one had a glimpse of a view of the sea, and full view to the men who were drilling. And 2 bugs around the bed. I tried to ask for a refund, but of course, they said no way. They said that the hotel was full, but it was an obvious lie. Later I learned from other travelers, that the owner, who is from Napoli, not local, systematically lies. I was so scared of the bugs, I stayed the night in another hotel. But went back to check out the breakfast. For this much money it was a rip off too. Big amount of lousy quality food. This is the place for you to say if you have money to spare, like noise, retro style rooms and if you are into bug research...(I heard that they have some nicer rooms too, so you may tempt your luck, but if I was you, I would go to another one). This was the only horrible experience I had in my 2-week stay in Sicily.

When you arrive, you think that the location is good, but actually, the other hotels are much better located - nicer views, by the sea, nearer to the start point of the volcano hikes, and most importantly, not so noisy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Stromboli hotels

Portsmouth, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Everything I paid for was provided: a room, breakfast, a shower. But of the seven hotels I stayed in during a two-week Italian trip, this was hands-down the poorest. Nasty attitude from most of the staff, including a lie looking me in the eye while knowing I knew it was a lie! I arrived at 7 p.m. and signed up for an 8 p.m. boat excursion to see the back side of the volcano, returning at 9:30. I went downstairs to the bar for a drink and to look at the menu, since I didn't think I had time to eat before the boat. I saw what I wanted on the menu, but also saw the bar closed at 9. When I told the waitress my dilemma, thinking I could order it quickly and leave it upstairs in my room, she told me no problem - if I was a guest at the hotel, they'd give me dinner when I returned at 9:30. So when I found her in the reception area to claim it, she looked me in the eye and said sorry, the bar closed at 9. I reminded her what she had told me and she flat out denied it. I asked where I could get dinner and they offered no suggestions, so it being nearly 10 by now and me tired and hungry, my dinner was a couple of snacks left over from my overseas flight provisions and a beer that they did actually sell me.

That was only the beginning of the fun evening, though. I thought I had a great room - right over the street, with a big terrace looking out to the water and beyond, only a hundred feet or so away. There was some hustle and bustle during the day - but at night, the closed bar area just below apparently became the local teen hangout, with much hilarity and conversation, and scooter races until 1 a.m. or so. It was by far the least restful sleep of two weeks in Italy, including four nights in the heart of Naples and one in downtown Messina.

Room Tip: Get a room on Lipari instead, and visit Stromboli on a day boat trip.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Veldhoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Room is like being in prison. You can hear all the doors banging and clanging. The receptionist could not have been less welcoming sent out side with a welcoming drink and left for fifteen minutes in the heat. After a 3hour boat trip this was not welcoming. The drink was supposed to be orange but was not. Noisy and certainly not what I expected. Tv did not work and no instruction. Asked for some information on the island and shown a map on a wall. For the money paid not worth it.

• Stayed July 2013
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

It all started well, with a nice welcome drink on the terrace. The facade has also been recently painted and the location, close to the port, couldn't be more convenient. Unfortunately, the room, a double at the back with no balcony, was disappointing. 2 star at best, with old furniture, nowhere to plus in a mobile (I used the bathroom) and tired fixtures and fittings. And pretty small to boot. Breakfast buffet was cleared at 10am sharp with what could only be called 'military efficiency'. My friend had the plate of cornetti swiped from under her nose. I asked for a two 'latte macchiati' at the bar, and the waitress came over and said they were ready for collection whenever I wanted (how presumptive of me to think they might bring them over...). No newspapers for guests and better still, notices everywhere saying use of mobile phones was banned within hotel common areas. Then reception says you have to be out of the room by 10 (ooops it was 1015). Price was okay - it was only one night. Not surprised that a lot of people are doing the vulcano climb using an integrated trip service from Lipari. Would love to advise trip advisor people better but options on Stromboli are thin on the ground so this is an okay option for a one night stay to climb the vulcano.

Room Tip: Get a balcony!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We had a superior room reserved with balcony.
Room was so big had 1 db bed and 2 twin so u can imagine the size of the room.

Bright! Only problem my man had was there was no balcony for him to sit n read a book.
When he went to enquire, all room with balcony where u can sit down was fully occupied.
Apart from that ah one more thing i usually walk on bare foots in the room, here it was impossible. I don't think it was to do cleaning.

As you all know you are in the heart of active volcano, this little ashes or sand is blown with wind.
So you get the sandy feeling which isn't great to feel in my opinion. Had to wear a shoes for the first time in my entire stay in the hotel all over the globe.

Breakfast was served from 8am. It was too late last day for our early leaving at 7.20. The staff said we could take some crossance and cappuchino from the bar. But was bit awkward as the staff were preparing. So we skipped.
If they serve breakkie from 7 I think it will reduce any awkwardness.

Location was pretty good. From the ferry u r 1 min walking. And restaurant and all not far from it.

Breakfast, son't expect too much. But bloody orange juice I liked. Not too bad but not exceptional either.

Staff was helpful I have no complain over.

Overall it was good.

• Stayed April 2013
Gloucestershire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Like most people we only stayed a couple of nights in order to explore the island and do the summit trek. We booked online about 10 days in advance and were given a room facing the sea (without any specific request). I noticed that the price had gone up from when I had looked a few days previously, making it the most expensive nights of our trip, but still not too bad considering the limited options on Stromboli in October.
Arriving on the 10.05 hydrofoil we had no problem walking straight in and taking our room; People arriving on spec were of course hanging around waiting for rooms to be vacated and cleaned.
The room itself was a bit small (the smallest double I think, 203?) but pleasant, and with a sea view balcony. We did not experience any noise at night as mentioned by some other reviewers - perhaps by October the revellers have given up - it was quite chilly at night!
Breakfast was a buffet affair with all the usual sweet and savoury choices.
On the morning of our departure, there was a scirocco wind blowing and we had a call from reception to warn us that the hydrofoil would not be hanging around until the 11.50 departure time, but would just turn straight around. I guess this is a fairly normal proceedure on windy days as the jetty is quite exposed. So we had adequate time to pack our bags and walk across the road to the ticket office without danger of missing our hydrofoil. Saves them problems with room allocation too I suppose.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli? Share your experiences!